Thread: 1984 reflection

1984 reflection

I felt that 1984 should definitely be read in high school. Although at some points challenging, this book opened my eyes into a whole world i didn't understand before. This book is a warning on future years, we have seen some of Orwell's predictions come true, so why wouldn't the rest? Also, the future does lay in the hands of adolescents. SO, if we are educated and warned on what happened in Winston's life, we are more likely to see the signs that would lead up to a civilization like that. This book definitely took your mind to some of it's darker places, but sometimes that's what you need when you're in a society that constantly sugarcoats things.

Some might propose that the George Orwell book 1984 is an important read in high school literature. I tend to disagree. Yes, it was predicting the future and how society might be. But anyone can predict the future and have it be in the right or wrong. I frankly found the book confusing, drawn out, and my time wasted for the most part. I think high schoolers and teenagers could be reading literature more beneficial and or accurate to their own lives. Facing issues teenagers face. At least something more interesting. Maybe even something educational. History, like Anne Franke? Just a suggestion. I prefer non fiction stories. Something that I know is true. Something that I can say "Wow, this really happened." I can't do that with 1984. I did not finish 1984 just because I have the habit of never finishing books that don't capture my attention. Although I did not particularly like the story, some of the concepts do apply to today's society such as surveillance. Not that our generation is quite as technical as telescreens. But who knows, we could one day possibly be that that way.

i have a more neutral feeling towards 1984. i feel that 1984 was an interesting read, in that it had interesting concepts and theories. For example i find the concept interesting that just fear itself can really rule a nation and that you truly can cull the population to where all they are is scared and loyal, having no thought of stepping up against authority. On the other hand i think 1984 doesn't really teach you morals or anything important that pertains to your own life in itself. It pertains to generations as wholes, so i feel there isn't really much importance to read it while in high school. This book is just a bunch of predictions, even though some may have come true, the more radical ones haven't. so i wouldn't go making this book a mandatory read in high school but i also wouldn't totally forget about it.

Although I agree that 1984 is an interesting read I'm not sure that it is a necessary read; especially in high school. It seems to be college level. To me this novel would be more suitable to a college course where it could be further broken down. One argument for reading this book in high school would be that it highlights some of the darker realities of modern society. However this novel was written as a warning against Communism and I don't believe that is relavent today.

1984 was a great book with a well thought out plot, but it had almost no character development whatsoever. With most books, you are able to accurately describe a main character without any hesitation. At any given moment, I had no clue what Winston was thinking. It was never clear if he even ever loved Julia, or cared for anything at all. Did he really feel that he loved Big Brother at the end? And Julia, she claimed she cared about Winston but never listened to his thoughts or ideas.
    Other than the lack of character development, 1984 was a good read, and a helpful warning. I see many things that are accurate today, found in the book such as harsh security in every day life, propaganda, and Scapegoats. Hopefully more people read this book, so it doesn't become a piece of nonfiction.

Quote Originally Posted by SolvableParadox View Post
    Although I agree that 1984 is an interesting read I'm not sure that it is a necessary read; especially in high school. It seems to be college level. To me this novel would be more suitable to a college course where it could be further broken down. One argument for reading this book in high school would be that it highlights some of the darker realities of modern society. However this novel was written as a warning against Communism and I don't believe that is relavent today.
    Like you said 1984 is a great and interesting read, but I don't agree that the book isn't something we don't need to read at a high school level. I feel as though if the book is not introduced at an early level like high school, the central ideas of this novel that Orwell is ringing the bell at will not be fully understood by us if they are introduced too late. You stated communism isn't relevant, but I believe as soon as communism is forgotten about that's when we're most vulnerable to letting something like communism back into our society