Thread: Help With A Hamlet Essay

Help With A Hamlet Essay

I'm writing an essay for a literary criticism class. I chose a psychoanalytic approach to Hamlet. I'm having trouble finding a thesis in all of my ideas. I want to write about Hamlet's Oedipal complex, because it sticks out like a sore thumb to me. But the way I see it, there are three "fathers" (Ghost Hamlet, Claudius, and Polonius). I also think the Hamlet has identified a lot with his mother, and that's why he calls his grief and cowardice "feminine" and compares himself to Fortinbras, who does masculine things in Hamlet's eyes. He also acts crazy towards Ophelia and thinks the same of her as he does of his mother, and I think there's something there maybe because according to Freud Hamlet needs to project his want for his mother onto another woman, and he does but that also conflicts with the anger for his mother causing the anger towards her. If you can help in any way, please do!

stanley2
    Professor Shapiro, a major league big time scholar, wrote a book about the authorship question. One of the highlights is that he engenders sympathy for Dr. Freud. Therefore, one might ask: What in Shakespeare inspired Dr. Freud? One might then quote MND: "The best in this kind[kind of entertainment, that is, plays] are but shadows; and the worst are no worse, if imagination amend them." One might speculate upon the nature of these shadows. In MAC, Lady Macduff says to her son: " Now, God help thee, poor monkey!" There is a saying, monkey see, monkey do. Therefore, as a child, young Hamlet learned to be sympathetic towards those to whom his mother was friendly. This might help explain why Hamlet fails to confront his uncle. In childhood, we also learn to bring our problems to our mother. This helps explain the so called "closet scene."