Thread: 721 Words Of Boring Reading

720 Words Of Boring Reading

Born Without Talent

I must confess I was born completely without natural talent. I am not fast of feet, large of stature, quick of wit, and I do not possess superior physical strength.

I do have an ability that I have honed and nurtured throughout my life. I am able to string words together in complete, and understandable sentences. Furthermore, I can connect these sentences into a train of thought, and convey those thoughts to others who are able to read. I use capitalization and punctuation in an effort to make my creations more understandable to those who choose to read them.

I attribute this talent to my formative years in elementary school when I was taught the correct method to write the English language. I first began to use this ability while attending junior high school. We were studying mythology. During this course of study, we were asked to create a myth of our own. I typed my myth on an ancient Underwood typewriter, complete with dropped letters and misaligned ribbons. I knew not how to type correctly, and to this very day, I still use a “hunt and peck” method, despite being instructed on how to type using all my fingers and thumbs.

After receiving an excellent grade on my creation, I was asked and begged to create more myths for my classmates. I was happy to do this, for a fee of twenty-five cents a page. Each and every myth was typed on the same Underwood, and each one received a superior grade.

I had ups and downs throughout my schooling, having normal bouts of disagreements with teachers and their ideas and ideals when those differed from my own. Although I had prepared for higher education, I only attended a university for a short time after being graduated from public school.

I began working at a job that was both physical and mentally challenging. At that time, it was a field of endeavor that was in its infancy. During the early years, my colleagues and I developed procedures that are still in practice today, more than fifty years later. Throughout this fifty-year career, my writing abilities were concentrated on technical subjects. I opted to take a different approach with each creation. I wrote technical papers and reports, but always organized and structured them in a way that they could be read and understood by anyone who happened upon them. I always stayed away from creating strictly scientific, technical and highly mathematical papers and documents.

After retirement, I began to write and post my efforts at different venues online. It started at eBay, with their feedback system. With each feedback, I would post a little rhyme. Back then, eBay was a more-friendly place, and folks could correspond directly with each other. It has since ceased to be such a place. Today, it is a cold business fraught with rules, restrictions and regulations. I don’t go there much anymore.

I found that I enjoyed creating rhymes bordering on pure poetry. The things I write are easy to understand. There are few hidden meanings. I attempt to offer complete little stories or commentary within my poems. I may use metaphor in order to faintly disguise something, but it is only the thinnest of veils, and is easily deciphered.

I have tried stories, and I believe they are good, but not great. Again, I offer a complete story and try not to leave a reader hanging in the wind, so-to-speak.

I have strong political beliefs and sometimes have been known to air them on some venue here and there. I do appreciate and like comments to my work, especially if it pleases the reader. It’s always nice to receive an atta-boy.

Too long in my life have I endeavored in my toils without recognition. Even wait staff at a restaurant receive a monetary remittance if their service is good. Please be appraised, I do not seek anything tangible for my efforts, but a kind word now and then certainly goes a long way to help one’s emotional psyche.

If you have reached the end of this rather dry composition, I commend you on your perseverance. You have labored through my excessive ramblings in anticipation of an end.

Congratulations, here it is. Happy reading, and even happier writing to one and all.
    Last edited by Wes Corona; 10-31-2015 at 09:35 AM.
    Perhaps it was just an idle view, or the view as seen by an idle mind.