Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: what is up with the swedish academy's obsession with obscure writers?

what is up with the swedish academy's obsession with obscure writers?

Why does the academy award the nobel prize in literature to obscure writers? I think some of the recipients were writers who actually did need more exposure and that countries with strong literary traditions like Japan and China need more representation, but some of the people they hand the award is just ridiculous. The list of writers they missed the chance to award the prize to is long, and will grow longer as more of the greatest living writers are growing ancient and will soon die. Didn't they learn their mistakes when they missed on giants like Tolstoy or Joyce?

Because it's entirely politicized. They actually said this award was a tribute to courage and suffering, when it's supposed to be about writing. That's why they snub White American male masters like Pynchon, Delillo, McCarthy, and Roth.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nick mcglue View Post
    Because it's entirely politicized. They actually said this award was a tribute to courage and suffering, when it's supposed to be about writing. That's why they snub White American male masters like Pynchon, Delillo, McCarthy, and Roth.
    Nobel's endowment of the award outlined that the award should be political.

Also, the award isn't simply for literary fiction, but any form of literary production. As the most recent winner was awarded for writing investigative journalism and history not for fiction.
    Last edited by OrphanPip; 10-09-2015 at 12:26 AM.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    The Nobel Prize goes to an anti-Russian writer, so it is political, at a time when the bourgeois parties want Sweden to abandon its 200 years of armed neutrality and join NATO.

Blog Entries
    Have you considered that she might've deserved it?
    ay up

Of course they haven't considered.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by prendrelemick View Post
    Sure, just look what she was wearing.
    "So-Crates: The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing." "That's us, dude!"- Bill and Ted
    "This ain't over."- Charles Bronson
    Feed the Hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by OrphanPip View Post
    Nobel's endowment of the award outlined that the award should be political.

Also, the award isn't simply for literary fiction, but any form of literary production. As the most recent winner was awarded for writing investigative journalism and history not for fiction.
    That doesn't mean they can't nor shouldn't give the award to the most deserving writer. Also, there is nothing "apolitical" about any of those masters' writing, particularly Pynchon's and Delillo's.

And I never said the award was just for literary fiction; I have no idea why you brought that up.

Quote Originally Posted by prendrelemick View Post
    Yes, I have, and looking at what she has written, she doesn't deserve it more than the writers I mentioned. However, if you would like to make a case for her, please do.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Please do not personalise your arguments.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nick mcglue View Post

And I never said the award was just for literary fiction; I have no idea why you brought that up.
    The alternatives you suggested were all writers of primarily literary fiction.

I don't really get the reaction against her anyway. From what I can tell she's been a fairly highly regarded author in her home country and abroad. She's even won the book critics award in the US, so she's not even a nobody in the American literary world. Cormac McCarthy in comparison has received far less attention outside of the English speaking world. So I don't think it's as clear an open shut case that she is the obscure author and the few notable contemporary American authors are worldwide superstars.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Blog Entries
    Maybe we should read one of her books first and judge afterwards.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wordeater View Post
    Maybe we should read one of her books first and judge afterwards.
    Well, now there's an idea. My motto is, "don't trash it till you've read it."
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    Please do not personalise your arguments.
    I said this:

"Yes, I have, and looking at what she has written, she doesn't deserve it more than the writers I mentioned. However, if you would like to make a case for her, please do."

Asking someone to support their claim if they wish isn't personalizing the argument. Personalizing the argument is criticizing or attacking the person themselves when making the argument. As you can see, I did neither.
    Last edited by nick mcglue; 10-10-2015 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    Well, now there's an idea. My motto is, "don't trash it till you've read it."
    Nobody's trashing Alkekeeevich, at least I wasn't. It's not a matter of her accomplishments, which are clearly substantial; it's a matter of the superior and sublime accomplishments of the four authors I mentioned who have been continually and unfairly snubbed.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast