Thread: The Buried Giant

The Buried Giant

I finished The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro a couple days ago. Has anyone else read it? What did you think? Not exactly like The Hobbit, was it.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by kev67 View Post
    I finished The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro a couple days ago. Has anyone else read it? What did you think? Not exactly like The Hobbit, was it.
    I started listening to the audiobook, because I'd love "Remains of the Day" so much, but couldn't get into it for some reason.
    Obsessed with facial symmetry.

Quote Originally Posted by kev67 View Post
    Ha! Not exactly The Hobbit is right. But like most of Ishiguro's books, an highly readable story.

The book divides opinion. There's a YouTube book reviewer I often watch who really slated it, although she has like other books of his. Another newspaper reviewer called it a slog. I was puzzled by it, and it took me a while to get into it. I thought some of the dialogue was rather stilted and unnatural. However, I liked the Arthurian setting. It was a disturbing and melancholic book.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.

I just finished this a few days ago and didn't like it. It was a totally humourless slog, with a "hardly anything happens" plot. I was very disappointed because An Artist of the Floating World is one of my favourite novels, and I also liked Remains of the Day and Never Let me Go.

Quote Originally Posted by mal4mac View Post
    I just finished this a few days ago and didn't like it. It was a totally humourless slog, with a "hardly anything happens" plot. I was very disappointed because An Artist of the Floating World is one of my favourite novels, and I also liked Remains of the Day and Never Let me Go.
    Hardly anything happens? That is a bit unfair.

It sounded Russian. I guess I was having a Dostoevsky flashback but of course that wasnt it.