Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Are We Becoming a Post-Verbal Society?

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries

Are We Becoming a Post-Verbal Society?

Are We Becoming a Post-Verbal Society?

On his late-night talk show last week, Jimmy Kimmel has been airing comedy bits featuring text messages and other on-line postings completely composed of “emojis,” those little cartoon figures evolved from “icons,” itself a misnomer. Instead of readable words, the result resembles a cross between the rebus puzzles given to children in pre-reading classes and Egyptian hieroglyphics.

The modern use of pictographs is nothing new. In Truffaut’s 1966 filmed version of Ray Bradbury’s Fahrenheit 451, books are burned and reading is a punishable offense, as we see commuters on the futuristic subway train looking at newspapers containing only the comics section.

With the dawn of the computer age, the expectation was for an open exchange of ideas, a true democracy in the realm of free speech. But somewhere along the way “content” began to be buried in the technology, while opinions and “sound bites” received more attention than measured expression. Sentences and words shrunk down to bare minimums, with the prime example a 140-character limit on the wildly popular “Twittersphere.”

Now emojis threaten to make words themselves obsolete.

A couple of the websites I visited seem to promote emojis as a good thing! The notion is that emojis, as the name suggests, are emotionally more palatable than an actual written sentence. Yet what happens to nuance, subtlety, cognitive meaning? Where is it written (pun intended) that emotion should take precedence over thought?

Has our society become so simple-minded and superficial that words have become something to avoid?

Please join with me by praying to the God of your choice that beautiful, evocative,challenging words aren’t becoming obsolete!

Your thoughts? (While we still have words to express them.)

http://promotionholdings.com/corpora.../fluent-emoji/

http://bizshifts-trends.com/2014/09/...y-hieroglyphs/

Sorry, Aunty, but I think extrapolating from a comedy routine and a couple of website articles that people en masse are going to start using icons as a primary form of writtem communication is quite a leap.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

I sure hope not. If people start communicating with me through mainly emoji's I will ask them to use normal language...

Might have more thoughts on this later. For now, gotta go!
    Without any form of punctuation, our language would not say "I'm perfect"; it would say "imperfect".

"Access to works of art cannot be defined solely in terms of physical accessibility, since works of art exist only for those who have the means of understanding them."

Blog Entries
    Some people think that poetry is supposed to have images in it. Emoticons would be one way for people to put those images in it.

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well... I have come across more than a few people online who struggle with "complex" written concepts such as irony and sarcasm without the aid of emoticons.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Well, mostly, western society is already more visual than verbal. Movies, mangas, comics, propaganda, videogames are already a more usual medium than books. But then, the predominance of verbal communication was just short lived, a few decades between XIX and XX century.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoWarrior5 View Post
    I sure hope not. If people start communicating with me through mainly emoji's I will ask them to use normal language...

Might have more thoughts on this later. For now, gotta go!
    what is "normal language"?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stlukesguild View Post
    Well... I have come across more than a few people online who struggle with "complex" written concepts such as irony and sarcasm without the aid of emoticons.
    If it's difficult to put across the concepts of irony and sarcasm WITH words, imagine how much tougher it would be without them. That's just moot, though, since I have been convinced that Americans are so literal that most irony and sarcasm sails over their heads.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Calidore View Post
    Sorry, Aunty, but I think extrapolating from a comedy routine and a couple of website articles that people en masse are going to start using icons as a primary form of writtem communication is quite a leap.
    Articles about emojis have appeared in print, such as New York magazine (not the New Yorker.) Ironically I got a "404" notice when I tried to access the article online.

Sometimes comedians and satirists on the so-called leading edge can spot rends coming before they take hold. As an example, Twitter and texting have already changed our communication habits and in doing so have diminished the elegance of our language.

Words were always obsolete. They're the cruddy things we use to point at what seems to evade analysis but lurks in the depth of the intuitive.

J

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    Nicely put, Jack o Hearts...

Blog Entries
    I remember a similar concern with texting that hasn't quite come to pass. You'd get the usual apocalyptic headlines from the right wing press predicting the fall of modern civilisation when some daft kid submitted an essay written in text speak ( not that I'm suggesting you are doing the same Aunty).
    What they found with texting is that it helped kids with spelling rather than diminishing it.
    I think the key thing is appropriate audience. What could be more succinctly put than a smiley face to a friend? Lol does the same job, though I prefer haha. In my opinion it will merely add to our options for expression rather than replacing what we have already.