Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: 2016 Reading Nominations

  1. #16
    Registered User bounty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,143
    I think there are some things papayhed that one just takes to naturally, and others that are learned appreciations. i think here's a good possibility if I were to read Faulkner with someone else who saw things/was effected by things in his writing that im missing, id do better with him...

  2. #17
    I just want to read. chrisvia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    210
    Blog Entries
    1
    Of the current nominations, I'd like to do Lonesome Dove. It has been glaring at me from its shelf for years!
    "J'ai seul la clef de cette parade sauvage."
    - Rimbaud

    "Il est l'heure de s'enivrer!
    Pour n'être pas les esclaves martyrisés du Temps,
    enivrez-vous;
    enivrez-vous sans cesse!
    De vin, de poésie ou de vertu, à votre guise."
    - Baudelaire

  3. #18
    The Poetic Warrior Dark Muse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Within the winds
    Posts
    8,833
    Blog Entries
    957
    If it is not too late to contribute I will throw my hand in.

    1. Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott
    2. The Comedians by Graham Greene

    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

  4. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    19
    I finished it over the weekend, now I am on The Sound and the Fury
    "History is the nightmare from which I am trying to awake"-Stephen Dedalus

  5. #20
    On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Beyond nowhere
    Posts
    3,542
    Quote Originally Posted by bounty View Post
    I think there are some things papayhed that one just takes to naturally, and others that are learned appreciations. i think here's a good possibility if I were to read with someone else who saw things/was effected by things in his writing that im missing, id do better with him...
    Bounty, the first text of Faulkner I read, was a short story called "A rose for Emily". It read like a nightmare. I never forgot the story and only much later I discovered that creating unforgetable nightmares was his speciality. I think he is one of the greatest North American writers, but there is no positivety or hope in his writings, only violence, decadence and destruction. He shows the south of the USA in its darkest colours.
    The opening chapter from "The Sound of the Fury" is peculiar. I`m not going to tell why, not to spoil the novel for those that haven´t read it yet.
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 05-10-2016 at 11:27 PM.
    "You can always find something better than death."
    Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, The Bremen Town Musicians

  6. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    Posts
    1,846
    I would like to read Mythago Wood. I missed it when it came out but will catch up on Robert Holdstock's work as soon as I can.

  7. #22
    flash fiction fatale heartwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    central Florida
    Posts
    85
    I'm starting The Idiot and would love reading that with a group.

    I love Faulkner. He is to be experienced multiple times.

    I enjoy reading short stories and have likely encountered Sherwood Anderson before and would be open to that.

    As for female authors, I haven't read Carson McCullers (The Heart is a Lonely Hunter), Shirley Jackson (The Haunting of Hill House), Iris Murdoch (A Severed Head - or other), and Jean Rhys (Wide Sargasso Sea) and would like to at some point.

    Oh, and I love Robertson Davies and could read some more of him for sure.

  8. #23
    The Gnu Normal Pompey Bum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    5,364
    Quote Originally Posted by heartwing View Post
    I'm starting The Idiot and would love reading that with a group.
    If you go to the Authors' List section, click on Dostoevsky, then click on The Idiot, you will find a number of existing threads (or you could always start one or more of your own). I know that's not the same as a reading group, but it might be helpful just the same. I hope you enjoy The Idiot, which is certainly worth your time.
    And this from a man in a bunny suit.

  9. #24
    flash fiction fatale heartwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    central Florida
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    If you go to the Authors' List section, click on Dostoevsky, then click on The Idiot, you will find a number of existing threads (or you could always start one or more of your own). I know that's not the same as a reading group, but it might be helpful just the same. I hope you enjoy The Idiot, which is certainly worth your time.
    Thank you, Pompey Bum!

    Oh yeah, and I forgot to add that I like Graham Greene, have read a few of his short stories, but have not read The Comedians.
    “What would happen if one woman told the truth about her life? The world would split open.” ― Muriel Rukeyser
    (image: walking by crilleb50, deviantArt)

  10. #25
    The Gnu Normal Pompey Bum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    5,364
    Quote Originally Posted by heartwing View Post
    Thank you, Pompey Bum!

    Oh yeah, and I forgot to add that I like Graham Greene, have read a few of his short stories, but have not read The Comedians.
    You're welcome. Try Our Man in Havanna by Greene (if you haven't read it already); also The Third Man, Brighton Rock, The Power and the Glory, and many more. I'm usually not mad about his short stories, but there was one called Under the Garden that I like more than any of his other works. Let me know what you're reading and we can exchange ideas!
    And this from a man in a bunny suit.

  11. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    Posts
    1,846
    Graham Greene's The Third Man, has to be my favourite. Though the film is even better, especially the Zither piece in the introduction.

  12. #27
    flash fiction fatale heartwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    central Florida
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    Try Our Man in Havanna by Greene (if you haven't read it already); also The Third Man, Brighton Rock, The Power and the Glory, and many more. I'm usually not mad about his short stories, but there was one called Under the Garden that I like more than any of his other works. Let me know what you're reading and we can exchange ideas!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwoven View Post
    Graham Greene's The Third Man, has to be my favourite. Though the film is even better, especially the Zither piece in the introduction.
    I'm remembering now I read Brighton Rock. I thought it was pretty good. I saw just the beginning of the movie and wasn't into it at all and so didn't finish. I should check out this other movie and other books. My father always objected to Whiskey Priest because he is a pastor and doesn't like the portrayal of the protagonist. I want to read it myself, however, and hope to get to it.

    Under the Garden was wonderfully bizarre and I remember it like ten years after reading it. I read a lot of short stories and he has some good ones.
    “What would happen if one woman told the truth about her life? The world would split open.” ― Muriel Rukeyser
    (image: walking by crilleb50, deviantArt)

  13. #28
    The Gnu Normal Pompey Bum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    5,364
    Quote Originally Posted by heartwing View Post
    I'm remembering now I read Brighton Rock. I thought it was pretty good. I saw just the beginning of the movie and wasn't into it at all and so didn't finish. I should check out this other movie and other books.
    The film version of Our Man in Havana is still very funny after all these years. Alec Guiness plays the vacuum cleaner salesman; he is recruited as a British spy by Noel Coward, and the (far too brief) moments they share are just wonderful. The Third Man, of course, is a classic.

    Quote Originally Posted by heartwing View Post
    My father always objected to Whiskey Priest because he is a pastor and doesn't like the portrayal of the protagonist. I want to read it myself, however, and hope to get to it.
    That was one we read together on the site. After you read it, you may want to see our comments (which I imagine you could find with the search function. I found it a powerful novel, but I prefer Greene when he takes a lighter approach and ends seriously through implication (as in The Third Man or Our Man in Havana). I also had some religious differences with Greene's ultimate vision, but they did not detract from the parts I found personally meaningful. (My father was a clergyman, too, by the way--PKs stick together! )


    Quote Originally Posted by heartwing View Post
    Under the Garden was wonderfully bizarre and I remember it like ten years after reading it. I read a lot of short stories and he has some good ones.
    I liked the contrast between the mythic landscape of childhood remembered and the small and mundane version the protagonist finds when he returns home. I am trying to write about something similar these days, so perhaps I should reread that one.
    And this from a man in a bunny suit.

  14. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5
    .....
    Last edited by tir_na_nog; 01-09-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. June '15 Reading Nominations
    By Scheherazade in forum Forum Book Club
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-02-2015, 05:39 PM
  2. Valentine's Day Reading Nominations
    By Scheherazade in forum Forum Book Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-03-2007, 03:07 PM
  3. Christmas Reading Nominations
    By Scheherazade in forum Forum Book Club
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 12-03-2006, 07:26 PM
  4. Valentine's Day Reading Nominations
    By Scheherazade in forum Forum Book Club
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-25-2006, 01:14 PM
  5. Halloween Reading Nominations
    By Scheherazade in forum Forum Book Club
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-28-2005, 07:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •