Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Snowflake Collector

A superb story FREI. This is my second read of it.

thank you so much, dan; it cheers and honours me greatly to hear this!

"...only then, come the moment of truth, could he really commence with his task."

Here now the tenth instalment, The Snowflake Collector – 10: George, as an audio file on Soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/edenbyfrei/th...ctor-10-george

Enjoy.

Hello Frei.

Although I read many of the short stories posted on the forum I refrain from commenting on the writing of others as I am not qualified to do so. However, as this story of yours cries out to be praised I am breaking my own rule and do so.

Best wishes, and take care.

Bernard.
    Last edited by Gimpy_Fac; 06-15-2016 at 05:07 AM.
    "Once a Marine - Always a Marine"

thank you bernard

these are very kind and generous words, and also most encouraging

with all my good wishes
    FREI

I have just downloaded and printed the collection so far. Will read and provide feedback as soon as possible.
    And as I pass through the first gate, I know that the better part of my soul will remain behind - forever.

thanks welcheren – i look forward to hearing what you make of it...

Hi Frei

This was a wonderfully touching story. I did not read any of the other comments, owing to the fear that they would bias me in some way.

The style matches the genre (although I hesitate to cage the story into some pre-existing classification). Some of the sentences were challenging in terms of length (for me anyway), but they undoubtedly contribute to the overall effect, and after a while I fell into the rhythm.

What I enjoyed best was the way the story is touching, but in a somewhat indeterminate way. I can read all kinds of themes into it, but it still strikes me as open enough to allow a multiplicity of potentially conflicting readings. It strikes me as something akin to The Little Prince. Only, for reasons I will refrain from boring you with, I like this story better.

I can easily see this as a successful film.

Has it reached its end?
    And as I pass through the first gate, I know that the better part of my soul will remain behind - forever.

thank you so much welcheren for your most generous comments – to have the story favourably compared to the little prince deeply honours (and i daresay probably rather flatters) me!...

yes the snowflake collector, which forms a self-contained part of a much larger narrative, EDEN, to which it only very tangentially relates, is now at its end. but EDEN will continue to run for quite a while yet, over at http://EDENbyFREI.net and i'm also now serialising a second short story from it, pyromania, in this particular forum.

many thanks again and all my very best wishes
    FREI

Looking forward to Pyromania - as soon as I can clear some time.

Meanwhile... here now for those who enjoy listening more than – or as much as – reading: the penultimate part of The Snowflake Collector on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/edenbyfrei/th...is-own-man-1-2

The Ice King

If you've been enjoying The Snowflake Collector, you may find it useful to know that I've now started another story: The Ice King.

The title is somewhat deceptive though, because although it seems to suggest a similar theme, it's really a very different kind of tale, told in a very different way, so there's no guarantee you'll like it; but you can always give it a try and if it's not for you, just abandon it...

Thanks for reading and continue to enjoy!

FREI

"He was now at one with it all."

And here now the twelfth and final instalment of The Snowflake Collector as an audio file on Soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/edenbyfrei/th...t-the-snow-1-2

Thanks for reading/listening, and

Enjoy.

The Snowflake Collector – a poetic picture story book for grown ups now in hardback

Hello Friends

I am so very happy to tell you that The Snowflake Collector, which I started serialising here on this forum last year, has become a picture story book, beautifully illustrated by Diego Cassia and published under my 'normal' name, Sebastian Michael, and it's now available as a hardcover from all major bookstores, both brick and online. If you would like to get a copy and want to support your local bookshop, you should be able to order it there (ISBN 978-1-68418-180-3), otherwise, you'll find a link to the Amazon listing as well as some preview pictures of the book inside the covers here:

https://edenbyfrei.net/the-snowflake-collector/

The decision to turn this story into a book and to ask my friend Diego to create these drawings was in no small measure informed by your many generous comments and the large number of reads the story has received here, and I am immensely grateful to you all for the support and encouragement you have given The Snowflake Collector. It really would not have got this far without you! Thank you all so much!

FREI
    (Sebastian Michael)

The-Snowflake-Collector-Preview-01.jpg
    The-Snowflake-Collector-Preview-02.jpg
    The-Snowflake-Collector-Preview-05.jpg
    The-Snowflake-Collector-Preview-06.jpg
    The-Snowflake-Collector-Preview-08.jpg
    Last edited by FREI; 12-10-2016 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Added some preview pictures

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Congrats, FREI! Much luck with your book!
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast