Thread: A quick question about George Orwell's 1984

A quick question about George Orwell's 1984

Greetings,

I have been set a task by my English teacher to write an interior monologue on the character of Syme. For those that have read 1984, I was just wondering if it would be plausible to make his character as someone who was actually against the party. I am setting the monologue about three years before the story begins and want to foreshadow how he dies.

A theory that i had was that he was pretending to be loyal but was actually plotting to overthrow the government as revenge against their vaporizing his parents. Would this be a plausible storyline considering what happens in the book?

I know that he is described as someone who is extremely orthodox but want to somehow make it out as if he was putting on a false show of love towards the party. From reading, he seems as if he is conniving and calculating.

If you wouldn't recommend this idea, what other ideas could i develop? Might i add that the monologue must be set before the novel begins.

Many Thanks,
    G.K.

I wouldn't buy it myself. I would say Syme was conflicted and self-deceiving, like almost everyone else. He is more analytical than most, so he would have more difficulty squaring his rationalism with his belief system. Think of someone who is having a crisis of faith, but dares not admit to himself that he has doubts. Winston Smith sees straight through him.

Sounds like an interesting task.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Bump. Anyone who can still offer any insights or other possible ideas on what could be going through the character's mind. I need to somehow develop ideas etc. to emulate what the character could be thinking.

Wish I could help, but it's been a long while since I read the book. Heck of an assignment for you to get. Mine were usually much more pedestrian.