Thread: Keeping Track of New Books

Keeping Track of New Books

I'm curious to know what sources people on this forum follow to learn about current releases or news regarding books. I occasionally read year-end lists to find more recent books to read, but I still feel like I'm missing many great books being published.

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    I find Goodreads a useful source of new books each month. You can specify by genre to make it more useful.

Closed
    Pulitzer nominees, Booker Short List and New York Times Notable Books are all worth keeping up with. The New York Review of Books is a better source than most for news about new releases. And if you have some idea about the authors you like best, either check out their websites or Google their names (followed by "news") and you'll get some idea about what they are working on. Hope that helped.

Yes, for Americans, especially New Yorkers, NY Review of Books is an obvious choice.

Blog Entries
    I tend to follow authors so I just look up their name from time to time to see if anything is out there or being reprinted. Which I see Pompey Bum has already suggested. Also certain genres have sites devoted to them as in Coming Attractions-Pulps (we enjoy pulp fiction perhaps a bit better then literature where there almost seems to be a requirement that I MUST like it--Hemingway for instance--GREAT writer--CAN NOT STAND him. Just saying.

I have to say that I agree with you about Hemingway.

Blog Entries
    I admit I don't really follow new books that closely, or usually pay that much attention to new releases, but Goodreads has been most helpful in introducing me to upcoming and recent releases.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Besides occssional internet resources like this forum? I have an inner circle. My friends are highly literate and can be trusted to discriminate recommendations appropriately, thank god.

Goodreads, local bookstores, a couple forums I visit with some literate people, short lists or just winners of awards like the Man Booker, Deutscher Buchpreis, Nebula, Hugo, Akutagawa, Naoki. Most of the stuff doesn't interest me, but there are certainly some gems in the rough.