Thread: Departure

Departure

DEPARTURE

“You’re leaving, aren’t you,” he said accusingly as only a hurt 10 year could. I couldn’t look him in the eyes and instead looked at the dirt between my feet. I didn’t answer, preferring the silence to grow in place of the sorrow.

“Well?” he demanded anger creeping into his tone. He knew the answer to his own question but like any child of his age he didn’t want to accept it. He had too many needs that were beyond his articulation.

“Yes, Jacob, I must leave soon.” There I had said it. It was out in the open – no longer an assumed understanding. That explained my sense of relief coloured with sadness.

In response, Jacob only said one word. “When?”

Then he came and sat beside me. A long silence stretched between us. Neither of us looked at each other. The boy poked a stick in the dirt in front of his feet. Slowly a pattern emerged from the scraping of the stick. A crude solar system of five planets, the second from the sun adorned with three moons. Momentarily I looked up at the sky, and there was Vagus the largest moon high in the day time sky, while Nandini coasted the horizon. Eliso had already set some hours earlier.

“It’s best I leave in the morning.” Even as I said it, I turned my back to him. I didn’t wish to see the pain in the child’s eyes.

Then, unexpectedly he began to barter. “If you stay, I promise I’ll be good…You won’t have any excuse to complain…please...”

“Jacob, you know this isn’t about you…Besides, you’ve been a good boy. You’ve overcome all the misfortune that fate has thrown at you. Your parents were killed in the war against the machines, your home was reduced to rubble, and despite your injuries you survived. I’ve ensured your physical safety and a plentiful supply of food…There is nothing more I can do here…”

“You could stay… as a friend…you know...” There was a tremor of hope in his voice tempered with fear of being disappointed. “Friends don’t just get up and leave.” Jacob added the chastisement for good measure.

How to respond to the needs of a ten year old, when inside me something was broken. A deep incapacitating sadness swelled dangerously before I brought it under control. As warmly as I could, I replied, “Jacob you are my friend, and always will be from now on…but you know and you have always known in time I would have to leave…”

The tears rolled down Jacob’s face. He made no attempt to wipe them away. Tears dripped from his chin leaving tiny craters in the dry soil. There was a loud sniff from him, and then he said it. “It’s her, isn’t it? You’re leaving to find her.” I nodded in acknowledgement. “You won’t find her. You said yourself that she was captured by the machines.”

“Yes.”

“And you also said you’ve no idea where she’s being held by the machines - even if she is alive,” he added for good measure. The child’s hopes clung on desperately.

Then I said what I knew he would not understand. “Yes, all of that’s true, Jacob, but I need to do this. I need to try to find her. It was in my search for her that I came to this planet and found you. Your people were battling the machines, as was she in her own way, so I joined your fight for survival…And now that has been achieved I must resume my search.”

“But why?” he wailed in disappointment. “She’s not your wife or girlfriend, or even a relative! So why is she so important?” There was bitter anger in his words. His fists were clenched. It was only a matter of moments before he would lash out at me physically.

I knew then I would have to share my secret before I left if I wanted him to cope with my departure. “She’s important, Jacob, because she’s my mother.”

He shook his head in disbelief. “Liar! You told me she’s your girlfriend.”

I took him by the arms and looked him directly in the face. “Jacob, you assumed she was a girlfriend…I never said she was.” I tried to sound clear and firm in response to the child’s anger.

“You look at yourself. You are well past your middle years and you gave the impression she was of a similar age. So how can she be your mother?”

Then I told him my greatest secret – a secret only two people in the universe knew. “She literally made me.” My reply did not herald the pause and silence I expected from him.

“Leave if you must, but don’t lie to me! “ There was indignation and anger in the words. “She’s not your mother.”

“Think it through Jacob. She was a cyberneticist, researching artificial intelligence.” The boy was listening but shaking his head in disagreement or refusal to believe. “That’s why she was captured by the mechanoids we were fighting.” More shaking of the head. “And remember, I said, she made me.”

The look of shock, of realisation was plain to see on his face. He stuttered, he mumbled but finally the words came out. “You mean…you mean…you’re a robot of sorts?”

Silently, I nodded in agreement. Then I hugged him.

(The End)

Hi, Munshie. I'm afraid the execution of this one has a few problems. Nothing irreparable, though.

1) Overwriting: Practically every line of dialogue also has the narrator explain the feelings behind it to the reader. Most, if not all, of this is unnecessary or could be made so. For one example, everything in paragraph three after "There, I had said it" can be chopped, and the story loses nothing as a result. Read this again with an eye to where all this emotional exposition can be removed outright or incorporated into the characters' dialogue or body language. Try to show instead of telling.

2) Whoopses: Paragraph 15: "She’s not your wife or girlfriend..." Two lines of dialogue later: “Liar! You told me she’s your girlfriend.” This and some grammatical/punctuation hiccups make this look like an early draft rather than a finished product. Most of your sentence structure is pretty clean, which makes it more noticeable when it isn't.

Also, most ten-year-old kids don't remotely talk like "You are well past your middle years and you gave the impression she was of a similar age."

3) Biggest problem IMO: The end twist that seems to be the reason for the story makes no difference at all to the story itself. If you remove the twist and keep him "normal", the story doesn't change one bit. So what's the point exactly?

The other problem is that the character being a robot makes no sense given the emotions on display (and his leaving the kid alone also makes no sense--"I’ve ensured your physical safety and a plentiful supply of food" just reads like a cop-out).

Luckily, I've just read a brilliant bit of writing advice courtesy of Andy Diggle, former editor of British comic 2000AD (home of Judge Dredd), that applies perfectly to this story. One regular feature of the comic is called Future Shocks, which are five-page standalone stories, usually with a twist ending. Diggle said that when he took over the comic, one challenge he made to writers on this feature was to take the twist from the end of the story and move it to the bottom of page one. "Make it the premise rather than the punch line," as he put it.

So that's my suggestion here: Move the twist up (it can even have been revealed before the story starts), and thus transform the WTF questions into plot points the reader wants to see resolved over the course of the story. Then, of course, resolve them.

(Also, a human-seeming robot befriending a boy while helping humans fight a war against "the machines"? Maybe you can work on obscuring the major influence a bit more while you're at it. )

Thanks are definitely due for formatting this for easy reading, though. I have quibbles with the content, but none at all with the presentation.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks.

Nearly all very practical advice.

The only part I disagree with is the bit about the human-like robot. His loyalty is to his creator. The reasons for fighting the machines/mechanoids could be numerous. Even though on planet Earth we are all human beings that does not mean we don't have different aims that precipiate conflicts/wars.

Calidore

I have re-written the story (Departure) in the light of your constructive comments. Would you be interested/have the time to re-look at it? If yes, should i send it PM or repost the second draft?

Quote Originally Posted by Munshie View Post
    Thanks.

Nearly all very practical advice.
    You're welcome. I'm glad you found it useful.

The only part I disagree with is the bit about the human-like robot. His loyalty is to his creator. The reasons for fighting the machines/mechanoids could be numerous. Even though on planet Earth we are all human beings that does not mean we don't have different aims that precipiate conflicts/wars.
    True enough, but "could be" doesn't matter. What's written is what's important; what's unwritten is irrelevant. If you don't want people reading this to immediately think "Terminator riff", you're going to have to put in a lot more than a few expositional sentences mentioning a different solar system and different background details on the war (which ends before the story starts anyway).

Calidore

I have re-written the story (Departure) in the light of your constructive comments. Would you be interested/have the time to re-look at it? If yes, should i send it PM or repost the second draft?
    Oh, no, always post rather than PM. There are several people here who like to offer feedback on stories (and poems) and may have different opinions than mine, plus many more guests who read the forum without commenting and may still benefit from watching the process.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Yes, I enjoyed the story and would like to see the rewrite. Maybe I've watched too many Star Trek Next Generation episodes, but I also had some difficulty with the emotions ascribed to the robot - actually, there were only two places where this was prominent:
    "That explained my sense of relief coloured with sadness." and "How to respond to the needs of a ten year old, when inside me something was broken. A deep incapacitating sadness swelled dangerously before I brought it under control." Although these sentences are well-written, it's hard for me to accept a robot having these feelings. You might want to consider less emotion on the part of the robot in your rewrite. (On the other hand, there's no rule that I know of that robots can't have emotions, so feel free to ignore me if you wish.)
    A just conception of life is too large a thing to grasp during the short interval of passing through it.
    Thomas Hardy