Thread: How many books do you usually read a year?

How many books do you usually read a year?

I have lots of free time, but I want to get an idea of how much I could read a year if I actually had a full time job, a family life, and a social life.

Years I have all those things? Probably read 20 books in a year. Without? Have had years where I read upwords of 200 books.

300 or so This year. I read about 300-400 pages a day, or 200 in Chinese.

Goodness gracious !! Two or three hundred a year ? That is some going - I usually manage one book per month, but would average it at ten books per year. This is with a full-time job and all the other constraints of modern-day living, (Oh ! How I do hate the Industrial Revolution !). My wife on the other hand can read a book easily in three nights, but these are generally of the pulp fiction variety, read on her Kindle. I much prefer a hefty hardback to savour...

Blog Entries
    The average book is probably less than 360 pages, so basically if you can stick to reading a certain number of pages per day you will probably read at least that number in full books by the end of the year.

I Would say I average between 60 and 100 though I plan to get the number to 200 while I'm in school.
    So with the courage of a clown, or a cur, or a kite jerkin tight at it's tether

Blog Entries
    I normally don't finish books. And some books I read more than once. It is hard to count with that kind of behavior.

I go to the library daily as part of my walk and usually bring something home. I've got one on my desk at the moment: Jon Erickson, "An Introduction to Fossils and Minerals". I've read 17 out of the 260+ pages and will probably skip around before taking it back.

Actually, does it really matter how many pages one reads? Did one get a new idea? How many interesting moments with books have you had in the past year might be a more useful thing to count.

Hello!

I read 40-45 books a year.

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    About 30-40, plus I read alot of modern poetry.

I'm a slow reader. I read for a few hours each day, get through 300-600 pages a week, so average about 50 books a year.

I often wish I could read more, and feel tormented by the thought of not being able to read everything. Although strangely, whenever I have an unlimited amount of free-time, I find myself reading less than I do when I'm busy. I guess it's something to do with scarcity value and the law of diminishing returns.

I'm impressed by (and envious of) the poster who reads 400 pages a day but I think, for me, reading at that kind of pace would take a lot of the pleasure out of my hobby.
    Last edited by ladderandbucket; 07-29-2015 at 05:55 PM.

I read more than 1000 books a year. How do I manage? I concentrate on very short children's picture books that take 2-5 minutes to read. I mean, I can polish off "Harold and the Purple Crayon", "The Hungry Caterpillar", and "Goodnight Moon" in about six or seven minutes and there are my three books for the day. I try to stay clear of any picture books based on TV shows, though. There are some lengths to which even I refuse to go in the pursuit of sheer numbers.

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecurb View Post
    I read more than 1000 books a year. How do I manage? I concentrate on very short children's picture books that take 2-5 minutes to read. I mean, I can polish off "Harold and the Purple Crayon", "The Hungry Caterpillar", and "Goodnight Moon" in about six or seven minutes and there are my three books for the day. I try to stay clear of any picture books based on TV shows, though. There are some lengths to which even I refuse to go in the pursuit of sheer numbers.
    I actually used an audiobook for The Smiley Lion. (He just had so many friends!) And also for Evolution? The Fossils Say NO! The pamphlet itself was kind of intimidating. I'm kind of torn on What Pet Should I Get? Sometimes I like to read poetry out loud.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 07-30-2015 at 11:01 AM.