Thread: The Bad God

The Bad God

The Bad God
    by
    wrc

Alice Cabono had no children but she loved them and always went out of her way to be around them.
    She was very unhappy. She wanted a loving husband and some children. But she was married to bad man who didn´t give a damn about her or her feelings or her dreams.

She had asked for a divorce. He laughed at her and said the Church had a policy that she belonged to him. No divorces allowed.

“Í don’t want no rug rats crawling around in my house.” he said.

She became depressed as her future was cancelled.

Then she noticed Stan Devoring at the bank. He always wanted to wait on her. They had started going to lunch together. They had their lunches at the Merry-go-round in the park. They liked to watch the children having fun. He wanted children, too.

On a day she’d long remember, she told him she was married.

“I don’t care. I love you.”

She began to laugh and cry at the same time. They hugged and kissed.

He suggested she get a divorce so they could marry and grow a family.

“My husband won’t because we were married in the Church.”

Stan suggested that she talk it over with Father Gibson and see if there was something the Church could do.

When she met the Priest, he gave her a tour of his flower garden.

She told the Priest that since meeting Stan all the colors of the flowers were brighter and the world was newer. She said they wanted to be married and have children. She said that marrying her husband had been a drastic mistake.

Father Gibson explained how the Church had blessed her marriage and it was like marrying the Lord. “You
    can´t divorce God,” he said.

With the news the Church would not help, Stan was disappointed. Martha was heartbroken.

Stan began going out with Alice over at the Escrow Company and Martha spent her time alone. She stopped eating lunch.

But every day she sat by the Merry-go-round watching the children.

When winter came she stopped going to the Park because the Merry-go-round was closed.

One cold day, during a snow blizzard, she sat up in bed and stared at her husband. There was an empty whiskey bottle on its side on his nightstand. She figured he was still passed out.

She put on her house coat and walked to the hall closet. She got her husband’s big game rifle and put a shell in the breech. She went back to the bedroom. Her husband was still passed out.

The rifle was so heavy she had trouble aiming it. After a couple of moments, she sighed and lowered the rifle. Sitting on the edge of the bed she began crying softly. After a long moment she stood and put on her slippers. She dragged the rifle behind her and left the house, heading toward the Church. She lost her slippers in a snow drift and continued bare footed.

She climbed the steps and tried to enter the Church, but the door was locked. She wanted to talk with the Priest. She lifted the heavy rifle and slammed the butt of it against the door a few times. No one came to the doors.

She leaned against the big oak doors and watched the falling snow swirl around her. She slide into a sitting position, and realized she couldn’t see the house across the street because of the snow. She was alone in the middle of an angry blizzard of white.

She put the barrel of her husband’s hunting rifle in her mouth. She began to cry. She pulled the gun from her mouth and stared upward. “You are a bad God!” she screamed. “You have been a bad, bad, bad God!”

With a sigh, she put the barrel back in her mouth, and because the gun was so long she pushed the trigger with her cold big toe.

Copyright © 2014 by wrc

Blog Entries
    It reminds me of a friend of mine long ago who did the same thing in her hunting cabin when she found out she had cancer. It was her own gun. It broke her husband's heart. I don't know if she used her toes or not to fire it.

thanks for the comment

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    A number of themes in there that brought back the tortured Catholic soul of Grahame Greene, both in his writings and his personal life.

Which was the story of the main character, set in West Africa who took his own life, after coming to the reluctant conclusion of the inevitability in the existence of God? I cannot remember, sitting here now in Vietnam, far away from my library in England.

Then there was Greene’s penchant for the company of some intellectual Jesuits who held the view that “It was not what God commanded, but what he was prepared to forgive.”

This is, (or should be) the nexus of the Church’s existence. Dogma whether on suicide or contraception is one thing, but the recognition of human frailty and forgiveness is more important.

The story itself was interesting, but too simplistic in its language to hold me; although the sitting in the purity of white snow, considering throwing off one’s mortal coil did have a certain resonance.

Thank you for sharing.

Best regards
    M.

Since you use such an extremely simple style to tell an extremely serious story, I suggest you relate all the events as if you actually were a child. The reader's pleasure (and horror) in deducing the actual situations and events from your hints will make the story much more interesting, in my opinion.
    Doom-obsessed editor of Top Ten Short Stories: Doom

Thanks for your thoughts. It's true that I tend to use a simple style. And I know that people with lots of education find it boring. But I believe that hiding behind big words makes my stories hard to understand. Convoluted sentences kill comprehension. But I guess that's why there are so many different 'styles'.

Do you live in Viet Nam? I'll bet there's lots to write about.

In the next few days I'm throwing in another story, Apologies, in hopes of getting feedback. I REALLY enjoyed your comments. The Power and the Glory is a great novel. But I must admit I like what he calls his 'entertainments' even more. His spy stories are well written and exciting to read. And he sneaks in insights about the human condition, in a story some people call 'popular fiction'.

Thank you for the comments.

The previous post suggested the style was simple, as well. This is weird, but I'm going to quote what I wrote him, since I can't think of anything else to say.

"It's true that I tend to use a simple style. And I know that people with lots of education find it boring. But I believe that hiding behind big words makes my stories hard to understand. Convoluted sentences kill comprehension. But I guess that's why there are so many different 'styles'."

I want to thank you for comments.

Here we come
    It reminded me of my own life with me being the wife (I am a guy).
    Try making a short version of it, think of what things you can take out of your story and see if you can keep as much of the original idea with less words.

Thanks for sharing.

I hope you can give me your feedback when I post my first story.

Howdy Zosik. I look forward to reading your story. And thanks for your comments. Did you stay or leave without a divorce? It's amazing to me that a Church which claims to be concerned about the well being of it's members can have such rules that must be followed. I guess that's the difference between 'fact' and 'faith'. With faith anything can be justified. Facts represent the real world.

Have a nice writing day.