Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Blood Meridian" vs "Lonesome Dove"

Closed
    I haven't read The Orchard Keeper. It's set in Appalachia, though, isn't it? Personally I prefer McCarthy's "Easterns," such as Outer Dark, Child of God, and The Road (in which I take the father and son to be looking for the Cumberland Gap). For me, they have a creepier, more personal feel. His Westerns involve an elaborate mythos I'm not sure I really share. His Easterns seem to be about fable--myth made personal. One way or another, they affect/disturb me more.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 07-16-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Blog Entries
    When I read Blood Meridian 14 years ago, it left me unmoved. I may come back to it, since I've changed my mind about books before. When I put a couple of years between readings of Heart of Darkness I went from hating it to loving it. Some books you just need to read at the right time in your life. As for Lonesome Dove, I didn't read the book, but I loved the miniseries.
    "So-Crates: The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing." "That's us, dude!"- Bill and Ted
    "This ain't over."- Charles Bronson
    Feed the Hungry!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bounty View Post
    I recently picked up "deadwood" by pete dexter, which is supposedly one of the all time great westerns.
    Is it anything like Deadwood the tv series? I loved that.

which leads me to star trek: the next generation! there's an episode where worf's son alexander invites his father to join him in the holodeck as the sheriff and deputy in deadwood. worf is at first skeptical but then they are in a bar and a bunch of guys attack worf, while he is busy beating the tar out of them, he turns to alexander and shouts gleefully in his deep bass voice "I am beginning to see the appeal in this program!"
    Yeah, a lot of sci-fi stories could just as easily be westerns. Star Trek Deep Space Nine is modeled after a frontier town with stock characters like the sheriff Odo and the saloon keeper Quark. Then there's basically the swap between Japanese samurai films and spaghetti westerns, trading the guns for swords etc. It even comes back around in films like Star Wars. Tatooine is obviously a dusty western state like Texas, or possibly Mexico. Mos Eisley cantina is a hole in the wall where the scoundrels and smugglers go. Han Solo even looks the part of a cowboy.

its interesting to note the variety of depictions out there---for instance, I cant imagine clint eastwood playing a character from a zane grey novel, but neither can I imagine zane grey writing a novel like any of the clint eastood westerns---yet they are both westerns.
    What's great is watching John Wayne play parts in the same genre separated by decades, so the genre has had time to change. In Stagecoach he's the good guy, and the Indians are bad guys. By the time of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, the Indians are humanized and the American army/government are no longer totally morally in the right with how they treat the Indians. By the time of The Searchers, John Wayne's Indian fighter is viewed as savage, distrusted, and feared at points. So with the same types of actions he moved from a shining hero to an antihero and he even caps his career off with The Shootist about an old gun fighter in a dying west. Of course, Peckinpah did that last one better in The Wild Bunch.

Come to think of it Eastwood had some range too. He's supposed to be all smiles and friendly in Rawhide. Then he becomes the laconic man with no name in Sergio Leone's films. Until finally, he tops it off with his hitman in Unforgiven.

has anyone seen gary cooper in high noon, and then sean connery in outlander?
    Great films, although Outland is just more of a fun popcorn film with a lot more action.
    "So-Crates: The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing." "That's us, dude!"- Bill and Ted
    Feed the Hungry!

McMurtry and McCarthy, love them both but wow such different writers. If I was going to plan on sitting down and reading a great western I would have to lean towards lonesome Dove, certainly over blood Meridian which is not my favorite McCarthy story. For me when I think of a Western, I think more archetypal. All The Pretty Horses and The Crossing are the best "Western" themed stories I have read of McCarthy (and a couple of my favorite books period), and they both really transcend the genre. Suttree was good too, but not really a Western. Also the writer Charles Portis is pretty underrated in general in my opinion, and True Grit is a great read.
    @ Pompey Bum, Welcome to Hard Times is good. Not my favorite Doctorow, but I can't really remember reading any of his stuff that wasn't good. He's one of my favorites

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by easy75 View Post
    @ Pompey Bum, Welcome to Hard Times is good. Not my favorite Doctorow, but I can't really remember reading any of his stuff that wasn't good. He's one of my favorites
    Thanks easy. I'll add it to my next Amazon scoop up.

Quote Originally Posted by easy75 View Post
    Also the writer Charles Portis is pretty underrated in general in my opinion, and True Grit is a great read.
    I got the feeling that McMurtry was incorporating the character of the girl in True Grit into the Lonesome Dove subplot about the inept wanderings of the deputy sheriff from Arkansas (though he was certainly no Rooster Cogburn). But then I only ever saw the movie version of True Grit.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 07-16-2015 at 02:17 PM.

I love both books, but McCarthy's is far superior. Although Lonesome Dove is a better (maybe the best?) example of the genre.

Read a few books by James Carlos Blake which I enjoyed, but for all the wrong reasons. He's a decent-enough writer of pulpy historical fiction - the books are lurid, violent and derivative - but he so, so wants to be Cormac McCarthy that it's kind of endearing. In the Rogue Blood is essentially a composite of the Border Trilogy and Blood Meridian, with a few other scenes which I noticed were taken directly from movies, and some sections I suspect to have been cribbed from a history book. Friends of Pancho Villa and Wildwood Boys were less ambitious and better for it, but I can only ever think of him as a copycat.

I recognize McCarthy's talent, but "Blood Meridian" was too bleak and unrelenting to be my cup of tea. As an Oregonian, I recommend "Little Century" by Anna Keesey. It's told from the perspective of the heroine (like "True Grit" in that respect) and might be the best Oregon Western. Here's the New York Times Review (which mentions "Blood Meridian):

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/bo...na-keesey.html

(edited so that the link works)
    Last edited by Ecurb; 07-16-2015 at 03:56 PM.

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by ladderandbucket View Post
    Read a few books by James Carlos Blake which I enjoyed, but for all the wrong reasons. He's a decent-enough writer of pulpy historical fiction - the books are lurid, violent and derivative - but he so, so wants to be Cormac McCarthy that it's kind of endearing. In the Rogue Blood is essentially a composite of the Border Trilogy and Blood Meridian, with a few other scenes which I noticed were taken directly from movies, and some sections I suspect to have been cribbed from a history book. Friends of Pancho Villa and Wildwood Boys were less ambitious and better for it, but I can only ever think of him as a copycat.
    Thank you very much for that straightforward review, L&B. (Thanks to Ecurb, too, for the recommendation). How about The Sisters Brothers? Anyone read it? I heard great things at first (funny and offbeat, but then it seemed to drop off everyone's radar. (Maybe it didn't sell).
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 07-16-2015 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mortalterror View Post
    Is it anything like Deadwood the tv series? I loved that.
    im not familiar with the tv series but I just started the book today and its about wild bill Hickok, and then also calamity jane. the early pages have wild bill on a wagon train en route to dead wood.

Yeah, a lot of sci-fi stories could just as easily be westerns. Star Trek Deep Space Nine is modeled after a frontier town with stock characters like the sheriff Odo and the saloon keeper Quark. Then there's basically the swap between Japanese samurai films and spaghetti westerns, trading the guns for swords etc. It even comes back around in films like Star Wars. Tatooine is obviously a dusty western state like Texas, or possibly Mexico. Mos Eisley cantina is a hole in the wall where the scoundrels and smugglers go. Han Solo even looks the part of a cowboy.
    you might already know this, or will otherwise enjoying knowing, gene Roddenberry used to be involved in westerns and called star trek "a wagon train to the stars." (which is also a title of a star trek book in the "new earth" series)

What's great is watching John Wayne play parts in the same genre separated by decades, so the genre has had time to change. In Stagecoach he's the good guy, and the Indians are bad guys. By the time of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, the Indians are humanized and the American army/government are no longer totally morally in the right with how they treat the Indians. By the time of The Searchers, John Wayne's Indian fighter is viewed as savage, distrusted, and feared at points. So with the same types of actions he moved from a shining hero to an antihero and he even caps his career off with The Shootist about an old gun fighter in a dying west. Of course, Peckinpah did that last one better in The Wild Bunch.

Come to think of it Eastwood had some range too. He's supposed to be all smiles and friendly in Rawhide. Then he becomes the laconic man with no name in Sergio Leone's films. Until finally, he tops it off with his hitman in Unforgiven.

Great films, although Outland is just more of a fun popcorn film with a lot more action.
    I think my favorite john waynes are rio bravo, the war wagon, el dorado, and true grit.

I picked up my lonesome dove today and noticed it was 900 pages for goodness sake!

oh and, if we are recommending westerns---please, someone's gotta read a zane grey!

I had a neat experience early on in my zane grey reading. I met and become friends with someone who had been a friend with someone who was a friend of grey's. the person in the middle so to speak, became an inspiration for one of his books, which we then both read.

Blog Entries
    I think my favorite john waynes are rio bravo, the war wagon, el dorado, and true grit.
    Red River and Fort Apache don't get enough love.

Also, I rewatched Outland today. It's only like High Noon in the last forty minutes. The first hour is the marshal uncovering the drug problem.

oh and, if we are recommending westerns---please, someone's gotta read a zane grey!
    I grew up on Louie L'Amour westerns and will always have a soft spot for them. There just aren't enough Bowie knives in modern westerns for my taste. Plus, Tom Selleck and Sam Elliot were great as members of the Sackett family when they brought it to the screen. Also, what I've read of the Latin American epic Martin Fierro is pretty awesome too.
    Last edited by mortalterror; 07-17-2015 at 02:03 AM.
    Feed the Hungry!

I grew up on Louie L'Amour westerns and will always have a soft spot for them. There just aren't enough Bowie knives in modern westerns for my taste. Plus, Tom Selleck and Sam Elliot were great as members of the Sackett family when they brought it to the screen. Also, what I've read of the Latin American epic Martin Fierro is pretty awesome too.
    ^This.

I will always love louis L'Amour. I also think for being a straight up genre writer, he was one of the best at it. His non-western historical fiction novels are excellent as well.

An Algonquin Western anecdote: George Oppenheimer was collecting material for a quiz book called "Ask Me Another". As a promotional gimmick, he posed the questions to celebrities. He asked Beatrice Kaufman (wife of George Kaufman), "Who wrote 'The Virginian'?"

"Owen Wister," answered Beatrice.

"Then who wrote 'The Virginians'?" asked Oppenheimer.

"Owens Wisters," she answered.
    Last edited by Ecurb; 07-17-2015 at 05:22 PM.

Blog Entries
    Haven't read Lonesome Dove. I've gone through Blood Meridian a few times and while I was often in a state of awe over his stylistic and creative brilliance, each go through was like walking over a bed of hot coals or dragging a tremendous load up a steep unending mountain-side beneath a hellish skin-blistering sun. It was demoralizing, harrowing, - an ordeal. I wouldn't say that detracts at all from its quality though. But it is the only book that persistently, with each chapter, depressed me, but from which I still emerged thinking "this is a great book."
    “To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it.”

- Kurt Vonnegut

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12