Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sad News: RIP Mutatis-Mutandi

Blog Entries
    I am sorry to hear that, he was very witty and his absence from the forum was noticed and missed.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

riding a cosmic vortex MystyrMystyry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Vale Mutatis!

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    I'm so sad to hear of this. I really thought highly of him, his kindness, spirit and intelligence. He will be missed. I too wish we could have some of the old days back on litnet.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quite saddened to hear this. He was a strong willed person, which work both for and against him, I guess.

All said and done, hope he rests in peace wherever or however that might be.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    I liked his blog. He was a real character. RIP!

Just come across this by chance. This is a sad note indeed. Nobody should die young.

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    Although he had been banned from the forum for quite a while, he was part of a dynamic that has sadly diminished
    and it's in this respect that he will be remembered by those who were fortunate enough to be around at that time.
    Well said, Emil, well said. He was contentious, but he leavened it with such a lively spirit. I missed his presence here, and I hoped he was doing well. RIP, Mutatis.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

We had quite a fractured relationship on the forum. I've just been re-reading our PM exchanges. Ouch! But... the internet is a hostile place. It isn't always the best place to come to if you are lonely or struggling; your vulnerability can be misinterpreted and things can backfire. I too have waited for him to return because he was one of the more prolific posters and because I wanted another go at understanding his rather odd character.

A young man. An English teacher. This is someone who could have inspired hundreds of people. Tragic.
    Last edited by Babyguile; 10-17-2015 at 08:03 AM.
    'Anger's my meat; I sup upon myself,
    And so shall starve with feeding.'
    Volumnia in Coriolanus

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    It is always sad when someone dies, especially so young. I did not know the person but I recognise the LitNet user name. RIP.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've only just stumbled across this. How very, very sad. He was such a lively, energetic person, and with so much potential too. I had some really fantastic discussions with him.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes, Loka... after MM (Matthew) was banned from LitNet we kept in touch through Facebook. He was interested in Art and Classical music and would PM me with questions on the topic, while I would turn to him with questions on comic books. We both shared a love for Melville's Moby Dick. He was teaching introductory literature at the university level and we would often share our experiences with teaching and all the politics involved. His passing was rather sudden and unexpected. We had last spoken around the middle of June and he said nothing to suggest his health had deteriorated... but on July 1st, he died. That was his way. He wasn't one to wallow in self-pity... or let his disease get him down. Over the years I have been on various internet forums I have had 3 people that I was as close as one can be with online pass away... and many others simply move on and disappear. That alone is reason enough to be glad to hear from you again, Loka.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stlukesguild View Post
    Yes, Loka... after MM (Matthew) was banned from LitNet we kept in touch through Facebook. He was interested in Art and Classical music and would PM me with questions on the topic, while I would turn to him with questions on comic books. We both shared a love for Melville's Moby Dick. He was teaching introductory literature at the university level and we would often share our experiences with teaching and all the politics involved. His passing was rather sudden and unexpected. We had last spoken around the middle of June and he said nothing to suggest his health had deteriorated... but on July 1st, he died. That was his way. He wasn't one to wallow in self-pity... or let his disease get him down. Over the years I have been on various internet forums I have had 3 people that I was as close as one can be with online pass away... and many others simply move on and disappear. That alone is reason enough to be glad to hear from you again, Loka.
    I know what you mean. Sometimes, things seem so ephemeral. I lost a friend very suddenly a few months ago - he was someone who started his PhD a the same time I did, and we were in synch for several years - we were always part of the gang of PhD students who met up regularly to moan about our work and have a laugh at our students' expense. And then, suddenly, he was dead. It was a terrible blow for all of us. He'd been ill for a little while, but hadn't told anyone.

When you esteem someone, when you enjoy their company and truly look forward to their conversation, it's a terrible feeling when they are suddenly cut off.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Skol'er of Thinkery The Comedian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Man, I checked off of LitNet for a while and am now working my way back to it -- and I stumble across this. First, thanks St. Luke's for posting this -- Mutatis was a great guy and made this site the better for his having been here. I didn't keep up with him post-banning, however. Man, it's been a long time, but I think I remember that an early post of his was just ripping Moby-Dick, and later it became one of his most championed novels.

Mutatis, I'll have a jigger of Schnaps for you tonight!
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

Blog Entries
    We were both argumentative trolls in our early 20s, and he was my friend. I wish I could have met him in person.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf View Post
    We were both argumentative trolls in our early 20s, and he was my friend. I wish I could have met him in person.
    He rocked and rolled.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12