Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad News: RIP Mutatis-Mutandi

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sad News: RIP Mutatis-Mutandi

I just stumbled upon some sad news. Former member, Mutatis-Mutandi has died. Veteran members will remember him as one of the great contributors to this site... in spite of his often sarcastic sense of humor. MM... or rather Matthew... taught literature at a university in Illinois. We shared a passion for Moby Dick, Cormac McCarthy, Shakespeare, art, the Beatles, classical music, and comic books. We kept in touch after he was banned from TC through Facebook and shared thoughts on books, music, art, and films. He had just posted a couple of weeks back on the new Jurassic Park film and I had responded. Matt was one tough cookie. He suffered from epidermolysis bullosa and faced repeated hospital stays and rounds of treatment. Unfortunately, the disease eventually took its toll. RIP Matt.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stlukesguild View Post
    I just stumbled upon some sad news. Former member, Mutatis-Mutandi has died. Veteran members will remember him as one of the great contributors to this site... in spite of his often sarcastic sense of humor. MM... or rather Matthew... taught literature at a university in Illinois. We shared a passion for Moby Dick, Cormac McCarthy, Shakespeare, art, the Beatles, classical music, and comic books. We kept in touch after he was banned from TC through Facebook and shared thoughts on books, music, art, and films. He had just posted a couple of weeks back on the new Jurassic Park film and I had responded. Matt was one tough cookie. He suffered from epidermolysis bullosa and faced repeated hospital stays and rounds of treatment. Unfortunately, the disease eventually took its toll. RIP Matt.
    I just saw this on facebook as well, quite tragic, he was always a kind and generous soul.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

I'm so sorry to hear this. I always hoped he'd be back some day.
    Exit, pursued by a bear.

yes, that's me, your friendly Moderator 💚 Logos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Aw what terribly sad news. RIP Matthew. Thank you for passing this on stlukes.
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    📚 📚 📒 📓 📙 📘 📖 ✍🏻 📔 📒 📗 📒 📕 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚

Rip

Blog Entries
    I am sorry to hear of his passing. I enjoyed reading his posts.

That's horrible I always really enjoyed his posts, he was a really smart and kind guy.

Rest in Peace good man.
    Vladimir: (sententious.) To every man his little cross. (He sighs.) Till he dies. (Afterthought.) And is forgotten.

Blog Entries
    Dang, he was young and his short life was troubled with terrible illness. He was a good kid.
    "So-Crates: The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing." "That's us, dude!"- Bill and Ted
    "This ain't over."- Charles Bronson
    Feed the Hungry!

Although he had been banned from the forum for quite a while, he was part of a dynamic that has sadly diminished
    and it's in this respect that he will be remembered by those who were fortunate enough to be around at that time.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

^agreed.

So long, MM. I've missed your voice since you were banned. Also, you and me being huge sports fans, I've missed chatting with you about baseball.

Joking. Joking. Everybody who knew him, knows that MM absolutely HATED baseball.

RIP old friend.
    Uhhhh...

Holy cow, that's sad. He'd talked about his numerous battles with skin cancer and said that he expected it to kill him one day. It's awful that it had to happen so early; he wasn't even 30, was he?

He had also talked about going to school to be an English teacher, so I'm very glad to hear that he got to achieve his goal at least.

He said once that he lived in downstate Belleville, IL, which is pretty near a friend of mine in Edwardsville. I had hopes of meeting him someday on one of my occasional visits down there.

RIP, Matt/Mutatis.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Rest in peace.

J

Blog Entries
    Oh, I'm so saddened to hear. He was a good young man, and bright, and obviously persevered with his difficulties, and I was really fond of him. Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    That is so gosh darned sad. I kept in touch with him also through facebook. If he hadn't written a blog about his illness I never would have known, considering how unaffected was his attitude and sense of humor. He really was an admirably strong individual who didn't let his difficulties overcome his spirit. I'll miss him.
    “To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it.”

- Kurt Vonnegut

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    Oh, yes, I remember his witty and dynamic discussions. And how sad, sometimes, that things must change, even for the sake of change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast