Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Pet Peeves

And darkness, and decay.. sweetcaroline's Avatar

Biggest Pet Peeves

Mine include repetitive noises, naivety, attempting to prove me wrong when I know I am 100% correct (which would go along with the naivety, I think), being pompous, and underestimation.

What are yours?
    There's a time and a place for mucking around.

Closed
    The word iconic referring to anything but Byzantine art.

Mine is... pretense.
    I like to be engaged with people and pretense and decorum stand in the way of that. And my big pet peeve, it's these damn smart devices that people are addicted to! How can something that is essentially for communicating, turn folks into shallow gossips who say nothing. I'm tired of going to parties and half the people are tapping away messages on their phone... sometimes to someone at the same party!
    I ditched my smart phone (gathers dust in the kitchen drawer), closed my facebook account... and I feel better for it.

... oh yeah, and another pet peeve of mine... lightning storms!
    We've had some real nasty weather blow through Jacksonville this week and one lightning strike hit close enough to zap my computer monitor into oblivion. Thank goodness my Apple laptop survived, but the monitor that it was connected to is dust.

And darkness, and decay.. sweetcaroline's Avatar
    Very interesting pet peeves, guys! Those are all perfectly sound.

In regard to the smart phones, I admit that I am guilty of that to a degree, but it's because I can be so gosh-darned introverted at times that my phone is my resort.

In regard to the storms, I was in Richmond, VA when those hit and it took out the phone lines of our hotel! The thunder rolled so loudly, it set off a smoke alarm for a moment. It was absolutely terrifying! I am sorry to hear about your monitor, that sounds horrible...They should have insurance for computers pertaining to weather misfortunes.
    There's a time and a place for mucking around.

Like most people who have a tendency toward being introverted, you probably benefit a great deal by using social media to express yourself, having the freedom to engage others in conversation when the time is right. I can tell you from the position of being a more extroverted sort, that what I miss about social media is the visual sense of the person. So much of human interaction is about body language and nuance, and for me that's what is missed online.

I don't mind admitting that I'm a grown man who gets very anxious when the lightning comes too close for comfort. I was born and raised in Southern California and we just don't have weather like that. Sometimes it's so bad here in Florida it's like artillery shells are exploding all around. The strangest thing I've witness in a lightning storm is when a large crow fell from the sky. The poor guy actually looked like it had been electrocuted. Talk about a bad omen.

Closed
    All things Brian Williams:

Brian Williams' voice

Brian Williams' eyebrows

Brian Williams' lies

Brian Williams' excuses

Brian Williams' wagging his head

Brian Williams' shilling books, movies, and Apple

Brian Williams' thinking it's cool to plug Peter Pan over and over without mentioning that his daughter is in it--or at all

Did I mention the eyebrows?
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 06-29-2015 at 12:43 PM.

Closed
    I also hate it when people come up to a room with an open door and say: "Knock knock!"--or even worse: "Knock knock?" That one's probably me, though. I should really just relax.

Blog Entries
    Seeing people I know when I'm walking around in town always puts me off. And I really don't like when people look too much at my face during a conversation.
    So with the courage of a clown, or a cur, or a kite jerkin tight at it's tether

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Clopin View Post
    And I really don't like when people look too much at my face during a conversation.
    Me neither, Clopin, but that's how it goes in the working world. Holding someone's glance is a dominance and submission game, especially among men. It's a necessary interview skill, too. I've literally seen trainings a in it.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 06-29-2015 at 12:53 PM.

Closed
    Striptease weather reports ("Certain death in the forecast--we'll have more after the break!")

Blog Entries
    Okay another pet peeve, job interviews and stupid questions like:

"Can you give us three examples of times you've helped to motivate your co workers (team is an often used word) to provide exemplary customary service, above and beyond your job description?"

I'm actually terrific at job interviews though, but I hate them all the same.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    Striptease weather reports ("Certain death in the forecast--we'll have more after the break!")
    Well how about clickbait? Seven uses for pomegranates, number three will CHANGE YOUR LIFE! Sixteen horrific murders, number four will SHOCK YOU!

Closed
    Any article that is also a list, especially on webpages where you have to turn the page for the next item (and get a new set of ads). Robots write that stuff. Seriously.

Also weathermen who stand in front of Monday. Get out of my way!
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 06-29-2015 at 01:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    Any article that is also a list, especially on webpages where you have to turn the page for the next item (and get a new set of ads).Robots write that stuff. Seriously.
    I think they're flying a bit too close to the sun with this practice especially, I don't even think that people who wanted to read the stupid list in the first place enjoy looking at the hideous websites and popup ads and mobile crashes that come with trying to load the next page on one of these clickbait ad lists. Websites like cracked which publish lists are actually pretty successful too, without doing this sort of thing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast