Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Original Hamlet

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haran Alkarin View Post
    The notion that Shakespeare was made to be acted rather than read was outdated even in Romanticism, certainly this is true for playwrights as Ibsen or Chekhov, but not Shakespeare, certainly see a performance is gratifying, but to appreciate the complexity of language reading is required. Both are experiences that complement each other.

I would like to agree with Goethe, who said that Shakespeare was a poet who had the fate of writing in format of plays. Reading the plays is recommended because, stylistically, there is nothing better.
    I'll agree with you on Shakespeare, but I also prefer to read Ibsen and Chekhov. I recently read 'A Voice From the Attic' by Robertson Davies who takes a stance on closet drama similar to Pompey Bum's; namely that it's inferior to seeing a staged production, but the lack of opportunities most people have for viewing a really first rate production of any play, let alone obscure ones, necessitates developing a good internal production crew if you want to enjoy drama. Anyway I disagree, I think it's always better to read the play than to view it.
    Last edited by Clopin; 07-02-2015 at 06:42 PM.
    So with the courage of a clown, or a cur, or a kite jerkin tight at it's tether

Quote Originally Posted by Clopin View Post
    I'll agree with you on Shakespeare, but I also prefer to read Ibsen and Chekhov. I recently read 'A Voice From the Attic' by Robertson Davies who takes a stance on closet drama similar to Pompey Bum's; namely that it's inferior to seeing a staged production, but the lack of opportunities most people have for viewing a really first rate production of any play, let alone obscure ones, necessitates developing a good internal production crew if you want to enjoy drama. Anyway I disagree, I think it's always better to read the play than to view it.
    Good point, Clopin, my post in reference to Ibsen was partly due to the fact that their plays are more acted than read, which had Bernard Shaw claimed. Shakespeare's plays are so read as they are acted (if we can measure it).

King Lear is better read than acted, Midsummer Night Dream and Comedy of Errors work better on stage because they are farces plays working public perception. Yet they all work well with reading.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12