Thread: Analyze of Work : Theatre of absurd

Analyze of Work : Theatre of absurd

Hi,
    I want to analyze two texts from the work the Theatre of The Absurd, Martin ESSLIN , see below.
    I understand the meaning word by word, but actually I don’t understand anything about the philosophical meaning. Actually, I read a little about the theatre of absurd, and It was difficult at the first time to get what does that mean.
    Can someone help with those texts?

Thank you in advance.

1/
    "The Theatre of the Absurd has renounced arguing about the absurdity of the human condition; it merely presents it in being--that is, in terms of concrete stage images. This is the difference between the approach of the philosopher and that of the poet."

2/
    "The Theatre of the Absurd aims to shock its audience out of complacency, to bring it face to face with the harsh facts of the human situation as these writers see it. But the challenge behind this message is anything but one of despair. It is a challenge to accept the human condition as it is, in all its mystery and absurdity, and to bear it with dignity, nobly, responsibly; precisely because there are no easy solutions to the mysteries of existence, because ultimately man is alone in a meaningless world. The shedding of easy solutions, of comforting illusions, may be painful, but it leaves behind it a sense of freedom and relief. And that is why, in the last resort, the Theatre of the Absurd does not provoke tears of despair but the laughter of liberation."

absurd: beyond logic and so called truth. Yet writers of the absurd have lessons for living. See: Waiting for Godot;The Maids; any work which moves into the surreal. Any work which tries to illustrate the tenets of exisitentialism. See the Short Stories of Camus (do a search, many are online free). So are some of the articles by Hunter S. Thompson. Kafka has some Short Stories online for reading. Many novels are still in print.

Question: Why did you do it? Usual answers: Fate caused the events. God made me do it. Absurdist Writers: The question doesn't make sense. If events in the world don't make sense it's absurd. If you can't explain why you do something, it's because you were dealing with an absurd sitution. For a different approach take a look at the Lyrics from Bob Dylan and Kris Kristofferson (do a search and read the lyrics).

I've written some stories with absurd elements which drove Agents nuts, suggesting I get a reality check. Oh well...