Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is Victor Frankenstein insane?

I believe Victor Frankenstein was insane not because of the science he used; the science was could have been used in ways that benefited humanity. No, his insanity lies in his inability to be responsible for his actions. He could have prevented the death of Justine by confessing his creation. He could have prevented all four murders had he taken care of the monster like a creator should.

I do not necessarily think Victor Frankenstein was insane, but too ambitious. I agree with some of the above responders when they say he was obsessed with his work. Victor simply wanted to create a new living body/creature out of recycled body parts. Although, he should not have tried to play God in my opinion. Historically, in literature, whenever anyone tries to create life, something goes wrong. This may be true to the simple fact that God should be the only one who have the control of life in His hands.

JForrester

Quote Originally Posted by mw4what View Post
    In Mary Shelly's version of Frankenstein, do think Victor Frankenstein is insane?
    I do not think Victor Frankenstein was insane. I believe he was fascinated with science and what he could create using he knowledge of science. However, his science background seemed much stronger than his skill in human relations. It is after he created Frankenstein he realized that the monster was going to lead an existence by itself and he had failed to prepare proper provisions for the monster’s survival. This also shows that Victor was selfish in his pursuit of achievement without thought of the consequences his actions could have for him or for others.

As so many others have said, I would call Victor self-absorbed, obsessive, and yes, maybe even pathetic and immoral, but I don't think he was insane, per se. He wanted to bring dead body parts to life and he did, so perhaps we could say that the whole graverobbing part was insane, but it did work, so at the very least he was determined and extremely intelligent to the point that he was willing to push legal and moral boundaries to achieve a dream of his. Of course I do agree with Lemonade and say that my sympathy definitely lies with Victor's being.

Victor Frankenstein is insane because he created this abomination with different human body parts and allowed it to have life. While he was dedicated to his work I think this project went too far and he wasn’t prepared for the consequences it would bring. As the creation, Frankenstein had committed murder, Victor Frankenstein wasn’t prepared to take responsibility for his creation’s actions. As seen when Victor is approached, arrested, and questioned about the murder of another victim. I see this as insanity because Victor’s obsession with this project completely clouded his judgement and common sense.

I would agree with some of the above posters that Victor Frankenstein is not necessarily insane, but extremely obsessive. He came up with a plan and locked himself away in order to accomplish the goal he had set forth. However, using pieces of humans was not exactly "sane" either. I think he walked a fine line between obsessive and insane. But more on the obsessive side of things. He did however lose complete focus on reality and was completely consumed by his work and research.

I can't say that I think he was insane, but he possibly grew towards insanity. Had be been insane, I don't think he would have felt any sort of guilt. I view insane as just completely withdrawn. Many scientists lock themselves away and have that sort of passion towards their work, despite how strange it is. This particular trait reminded me of Tesla, minus the stolen body parts. Though the stolen body part aspect of his research was a little far-fetched, I think it stemmed from him being obsessed with his vision. Anyone who is locked away and has their mind fixated on one thing can begin to become obsessed with it. This obsession basically consumed him and took over his mind to the point where it was literally all he could think about. It even clouded his judgement.

I think Victor Frankenstein grew "insane" because of society. When someone is different, they are ostracized and left out of the group. The same thing happens in prison. If someone disrupts the population they are put in solitary confinement. Increasing time spent by oneself has a tendency to leave the person angry, hallucinating, with PTSD, insomnia, paranoia and more. This are things that the general population (even today) calls insanity. The brain doesn't function well when a person is isolated and doesn't get much interaction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12