Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Does Being Intelligent Have Anything to Do with Writing Good Literature?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Wolf, that was a baroque, irrelevant rant that didn't address my posts or the arguments in them in any way. So, since you're no longer addressing them and just talking at yourself, I'll just leave and let you do so. Good luck in your "discussion."

Well, I doubt any of the great writers were dim. Most probably had high IQs, if that is what you mean. But I guess there is a difference between being smart and being an intellectual. Ezra Pound and T S Eliot were what I'd describe as 'intellectual writers'. Shelley, Coleridge and Milton were also 'intellectuals'. Yet Blake, Dickens and Shakespeare were not. Were they any less intelligent? I doubt it.

intelligence is nothing to do with books or literature
    the minute one can put a sentence together the minute one can write
    it just depends on who choses it and who does not.
    those who chose to write are driven i believe by the feeling of language and the art of expression
    those who dont are less fortunate because they have other circumstances on their minds of their lives does not give them the opportunity to experience
    writing,
    they are not encouraged either.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    intelligence is nothing to do with books or literature
    the minute one can put a sentence together the minute one can write
    it just depends on who choses it and who does not.
    those who chose to write are driven i believe by the feeling of language and the art of expression
    those who dont are less fortunate because they have other circumstances on their minds of their lives does not give them the opportunity to experience
    writing,
    they are not encouraged either.
    Intelligence has everything to do with good books and literature
    The minute one puts together a sentence without intelligence is the minute one writes poorly
    It does not depend on who choses it and who does not; that is completely irrelevant
    Those who choose to write may be driven by feeling of language and art of expression; intelligence is still necessary
    Those who don't write with low intelligence are less fortunate because they will never have the opportunity to write a good book or write literature
    They are encouraged to write too often.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike Bishop View Post
    The minute one puts together a sentence without intelligence is the minute one writes poorly
    It does not depend on who choses it and who does not; that is completely irrelevant
    Those who choose to write may be driven by feeling of language and art of expression; intelligence is still necessary
    Those who don't write with low intelligence are less fortunate because they will never have the opportunity to write a good book or write literature
    i agree with you, except i dont think IQ can measure correctly intelligence.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I never said it could.

i could not agree on intelligence being related to writing books
    lets put it this way
    do you need to be intelligent to read a book?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Banned
    Blog Entries
    i could not agree on intelligence being related to writing books
    lets put it this way
    do you need to be intelligent to read a book?
    You don't have to agree with intelligence being related to writing books; it is.
    let's put it this way
    The intelligence needed to reading a book is irrelevant to the intelligence needed to writing it

The intelligence needed to reading a book is irrelevant to the intelligence needed to writing it
    The ability to write grammatically is probably positively correlated to intelligence, but the correlation is not absolute.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I read your post, since I knew you would respond to mine. Your response is a false straw man of your own creation. I never said anything about "writing grammatically." I correctly said intelligence is needed to write good books and literature, and it is. I also said the lower intelligence required for reading a book is irrelevant to the higher intelligence required for writing a good one, and that was true as well.

You don't have to agree with intelligence being related to writing books; it is.
    let's put it this way
    i disagree it is very much correlated
    because writers are the product of what they read
    if one is able to read a book he or she is able to write one too.
    those who go on writing books have had better opportunities in life to do so
    those who do not have not been encouraged and not because they are less intelligent or not,
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Banned
    Blog Entries
    i disagree it is very much correlated
    because writers are the product of what they read
    if one is able to read a book he or she is able to write one too.
    those who go on writing books have had better opportunities in life to do so
    those who do not have not been encouraged and not because they are less intelligent or not,
    You are now changing the argument and making an irrelevant statement...you do that too often.
    You equated the intelligence needed for reading a book to that needed for writing one...that was quite wrong.
    Not everybody who can read a book can write a good one...it is astonishing you can't see that.
    Many poor people with less opportunities wrote books...so your statement was irrelevant and wrong.
    Your "encouragement" statement is irrelevant as well...try to stop making irrelevant statements.

Blog Entries
    Well, imagine a bunch of primates in a cage at the zoo screeching at each other about whatever they’re screeching about as they scratch their balls.

Are we really that much different?

Are human beings very smart? Compared to what? Snails? Other primates?

If you are satisfied with what little literature has accomplished then surely you will not help literature to advance.

Just because all of the books you’ve read had plots doesn’t mean a book has to have a plot. Most of my books do not have plots. I’ve read great stuff on the Internet that had no plot.

And you do not need to be intelligent to write a great book. Some of the best books I’ve ever read were written by “stupid” people. And some of the worst books I’ve ever read were written by smart people.

Almost anybody can write a conventional book. When writing a conventional book someone who’s good at sizing up personalities can capture them on the page, and thanks to voice recognition software he can do so without even being able to write. In other words, even an illiterate person can write a good book these days.
    "...the ramblings of a narcissistic, self-obsessed, deranged mind."
    My poetry, plays, novels, & other stuff on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr...or=Wolf Larsen

Blog Entries
    I hear slime mold are pretty intelligent as well: http://www.nature.com/news/how-brain...igence-1.11811

Blog Entries
    Yes no: your sense of humor has improved in my absence!
    "...the ramblings of a narcissistic, self-obsessed, deranged mind."
    My poetry, plays, novels, & other stuff on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr...or=Wolf Larsen

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast