Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
Some headway made into psi phenomena has come from Dean Radin. I think he is mainly using statistical methods. Here is an incomplete list of references Radin assembled justifying psi phenomena: http://deanradin.com/evidence/evidence.htm

If we are going to accept the scientific method, we need to accept psi phenomena. What the presence of psi phenomena implies is a broader question. For example, I think it implies that we will never be able to be downloaded into a computer, because we are not as individualistic as we would like to believe and our subjectivity is shared.

Einstein doesn't impress me as much after reading Canales' "The Physicist and the Philosopher". I will have to read Bergson.

When I hear the word "metamathematics", it means to me what people normally mean by mathematics, but in the context of metamathematics, symbolic mathematics is a collection of objective statements and rules of transformation. These objective statements in themselves have no meaning and can be viewed as strings of bits that computers manipulate. People don't think using those strings of bits comprising symbolic mathematics. Those strings exist so a computer can manipulate them and they are an attempt to dump mathematics into a computer.
I do not have a compelling need to believe consciousness transcends forever all attempts to successfully create it.

Encoding might come asymptotically close to consciousness without per se attaining it, for the sake of argument, where both man and machine cannot distinguish the encoded consciousness from the "natural" consciousness.

I believe in just a few generations new scientific definitions for consciousness, intelligence, computing, encoding and human, are going to transform our world on exponential pace. I am currently working on a novel about this, so don't want to say too much.