Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding Zombies Improves....

Adding Zombies Improves....

I have to say, adding zombies to classic literature--in my opinion--just makes those stories of old so much better. In fact, inspired by other authors who have already done this...I've decided to zombify Anna Karenina.

So, what else would be improved--in your opinion--by adding zombies?
    I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty, I'm just glad to have a glass.

Closed
    Hi Silent! Great question. Imagine David Copperfield or Oliver Twist stealing through Dickens' London on the lam from the undead. Bumble would make a good zombie, and Uriah Heep would make a great one. Huckleberry Finn has possibilities, too, with the boys cruising the river to escape the flesh-eating hordes. Good luck!
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 04-15-2015 at 05:30 PM.

Something like The Mysteries of Udolpho, where the heroine is terrorized only by coincidences and Scooby-Doo fakery. Honest-to-goodness zombies acting outside the plot as a general threat/annoyance to everyone would help a lot. Plus, then the writer gets to invoke Chandler's Law (""When in doubt, have a man come through the door with a gun in his hand."): When in doubt, have a zombie shamble through the door with a hand in his teeth.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The great thing about Old Norse sagas is that they already have zombies...

Actually, I love all-things zombie. Particularly movies.

I'm not sure adding zombies to random works of literature is necessarily a good thing... but isn't it nice to dream? Imagine if Shakespeare had written a play about a zombie apocalypse...
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    The great thing about Old Norse sagas is that they already have zombies...

Actually, I love all-things zombie. Particularly movies.

I'm not sure adding zombies to random works of literature is necessarily a good thing... but isn't it nice to dream? Imagine if Shakespeare had written a play about a zombie apocalypse...
    He wrote a play about witches and another about fairies, so he seems to have been open to such things.
    "So-Crates: The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing." "That's us, dude!"- Bill and Ted
    "This ain't over."- Charles Bronson
    Feed the Hungry!

Oh I think Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath would be a perfect story to include zombies...

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain Sparrow View Post
    Oh I think Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath would be a perfect story to include zombies...
    Brilliant!

Edit: The Brains of Wrath, right?
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 04-16-2015 at 12:44 PM.

Hey, why not add some zombies to the whole "Harry Potter"-series? or witches and dragons? Now that would be fun, right? ;-)
    "Im Arm der Liebe schliefen wir selig ein…" ("Liebesode" - Otto Erich Hartleben)
    New poetry collection available (Kindle and paperback)

Well, I'm not talking about just books. Do you think zombies would enhance sporting events, or maybe customer service? Of course, if they were in customer service, they would have to be a zombie from India. Customer service seems to be the one job that is allowed to discriminate and choose only people from a certain nationality. LOL
    I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty, I'm just glad to have a glass.

Closed
    I think the undead are too intelligent for most professional sports jobs. They would probably grow bored and seek opportunities elsewhere. Customer service is an intriguing possibility, though, as is human resources, public school administration, local or national news anchoring (they're certainly more honest than Brian Williams), and college recruiting--for which guttural cries of "Brains! Brains!" would be a natural skill set. But put them in sports and sooner or later you're going to have to deal with zombies on steroids. It just wouldn't solve the social issue.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 04-16-2015 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentMute View Post
    Well, I'm not talking about just books. Do you think zombies would enhance sporting events, or maybe customer service? Of course, if they were in customer service, they would have to be a zombie from India. Customer service seems to be the one job that is allowed to discriminate and choose only people from a certain nationality. LOL
    I see you live in Florida as I do, and must be getting some of the same unsolicited phone calls of late, mostly from what I imagine are call centers in India! Some offering *free* security systems, or to rid my Windows computer of a virus they've detected... though I have an Apple computer! It doesn't matter how angry I get with them, they always respond so pleasantly... like a zombie.

I like the "idea" of it but I just started reading pride and prejudice and zombies, and while it was interesting at first, the novelty wore off really quickly and I am sorry to say I don't like the book much at all.

they have "zombie runs"---organized 5ks where some people get to play zombies and I think if you are "caught" you might get delayed, or have time added---im not entirely sure. in any event, you have to dodge the zombies during the race.

and while im here---a friend and I once hitch-hiked into a drive in movie theater (college years) to watch dawn of the dead.
    Last edited by bounty; 04-17-2015 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bounty View Post
    I like the "idea" of it but I just started reading pride and prejudice and zombies, and while it was interesting at first, the novelty wore off really quickly and I am sorry to say I don't like the book much at all.

they have "zombie runs"---organized 5ks where some people get to play zombies and I think if you are "caught" you might get delayed, or have time added---im not entirely sure. in any event, you have to dodge the zombies during the race.
    That's kind of where I'm at also. I like the idea of zombies as random obstacles, but I think making their zombieness an integral part of the story would be more difficult. However, I do think that adding zombies to a James Bond plot would be very simple and should be done pronto.

That zombie run sounds like a hoot. I wonder what adding zombies to the Chicago Marathon would do for finishing times.

Quote Originally Posted by bounty View Post
    and while im here---a friend and I once hitch-hiked into a drive in movie theater (college years) to watch dawn of the dead.
    I'd love to have seen that on a big screen with an appreciative audience, but I was still a few years too young when it was released.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Calidore View Post
    I'd love to have seen that on a big screen with an appreciative audience, but I was still a few years too young when it was released.
    Was it the original or the remake? I remember passing myself off as 18 to get into the original back in the day. Bad fx by today's standards, but at the time it was pretty, um, violent. I still get zombie dreams from it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The entire Snopes Trilogy practically already has zombies in the invading Snopeses. They're already predatory and virulent, with no regards for their fellow Yoknapatawpha citizens. So, making them zombies would almost be redundant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast