Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the difference in paintings

Lightbulb the difference in paintings

what could be the major difference between a nude portrait painting and a fully clothed one?r
    in other words what would the reason be for an artist to chose nude portraits over clothed one and vice versa?

for example one difference could be
    that the artist could have been nude themselves or been inspired by nudity because they could not be nude themselves
    and the other
    the artist desired clothes because they could not afford them and so engaged in clothing extravaganza in their portrait painting.

what inspires nude paintings because portraits with richely clothed portraits are more prominent because they indicate wealth.
    Last edited by cacian; 03-27-2015 at 03:18 AM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    To the best of my understanding, most classical art with portraits of nude people is done to glorify the human body as beautiful, and especially when this is forgotten. I'm not an art critic, but that's my general picture of it. Then also you have depictions of human beauty as a reflection of the beauty of the spirit; and I believe sometimes it's in that direction.

Also strength and health and beauty, all of these are inherent qualities of an art, as it is also meant to inspire us to see that beauty, health and strength, of form and spirit. Partly, I am remembering a statue from a fantasy novel - in the Wizard's First Rule series, or rather, Sword of Truth. . that was quite nice metaphor.

Mainly I see it as a way of showing the beauty and strength of a healthy human form. And to me - those are all three very close to synonymous, and quite closely related.

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    what could be the major difference between a nude portrait painting and a fully clothed one?

Hmmm... let me go out on a branch here and suggest that the primary difference might be that the nude portrait lacks clothing.

-Titian- "Venus d'Urbino"

in other words what would the reasons be for an artist to chose nude portraits over clothed one and vice versa?

A "portrait" is a very specific genre. Most nudes are not portraits. A portrait is a painting of of a specific individual. This is a nude... but not a portrait... at least that we know...

-Giorgione- "Dresden Venus"

This, on the other hand, is a nude portrait (of the mistress of the French King):

-Francois Boucher- Portrait of Mademoiselle O'Murphy

The subject matter or most works of art, prior to the Romantic era, were dictated by the Patrons. Most Patrons tended to be male and liked looking at naked women. As artists gained greater autonomy things changed greatly. Most artists tended to be male and liked looking at naked women.

Why would one choose to commission or create a clothed portrait as opposed to a nude? On one hand, the sitter might not be someone many would want to see nude:

-Gilbert Stuart- Mrs. Richard Yates

-Quentin Massys- "The Ugly Duchess"

Or the painting might be intended as a formal portrait of the patron's or artist's wife, lover, mother, daughter, etc...

-Anthony van Dyck- Portrait of marie Louise Tassis

-Jean-Étienne Liotard- Young Princesse

-Ingres- Portrait of Vicomtesse d'Haussonville

Most of us would not likely think to place intimate nude photographs of our spouse, lover, mother, or daughter on public display. Most artists... no matter how "Bohemian" they might portray themselves... would not likely place paintings of their spouse, lover, mother, or daughter on public display (although they would certainly make such paintings for themselves):

-Peter Paul Rubens- Portrait of the Artist's Wife (Het Pelsken- The Fur)

Of course there are exceptions:

-Lucian Freud- Esther (Portrait of the Artist's Daughter)

Of course Lucian was the grandson of Sigmund.

for example one difference could be
    that the artist could have been nude themselves or been inspired by nudity because they could not be nude themselves
    and the other

I doubt many artists ever paint in the nude. Picasso did strut about in little more than shorts...

I must admit to having done as much as well... but then again this is usually in July when the studio might get near 100-degrees. And (unfortunately) I'm not working from live models.

There's also E.L. Kirchner's famous self portrait...

-E.L. Kirchner- Self-Portrait with Model

He wears nothing but a robe, tossed on (reportedly) immediately after having made love to his mistress (seated behind him).

Pierre Bonnard portrayed himself and his wife-to-be in a similar manner:

-Pierre Bonnard- Man and Woman

Rodin and Gustav Klimt both famously strutted about their studios naked or wearing little more than a robe while 2 or 3 models would strike lascivious poses for them.

-Gustav Klimt- Nude Study

There are no images that I know of however in which they include themselves in their erotic fantasies.

and the other
    desired clothes because they could not afford them and so engaged in clothing extravaganza in their portrait painting.

There is a close relationship between Art and Fashion. Many painters have been quite enamored of beautiful clothing in the same way they might be attracted to flowers or fruit due to their inherent beauty and color.

I would love to have the sort of clothing that Van Dyck or Ingres (above) had to paint. Most of our everyday dress is so bland. As such I am far more attracted to costume and erotic dress (lingerie, etc...)

To the best of my understanding, most classical art with portraits of nude people is done to glorify the human body as beautiful...

That was often the sales pitch that was given to justify the nude. The reality was often far more earthy. Artists and patrons in the past were just as much a horny bunch as we are today. Sex and an erotic passion for admiring (ogling) the naked human body is not something new.
    Last edited by stlukesguild; 03-29-2015 at 10:09 PM.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Blog Entries
    No, certainly not new. But you can undersand that painting them as beautiful is a very different thing from painting them as grotesque, which which would rather suggest the opposite. As when certain artists descended into madness, and their paintings or drawings became more and more grotesque.

In other words, to paint the beautiful form is to show the earthy - as you mention it - is beautiful and good, and not something to be ashamed of.

This is why they're painted with beauty and health radiating, as these are the what the artist wishes to portray. Indeed, there are many who believe that health and beauty are reflections of health, vigor, peace and beauty of the spirit which shapes the physical form.

I am blowmn away but the amount of paintings offered here and i thank for that StLukes
    can i ask what you see when you look at a nude paintning and then a fully clothed one?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Quote Originally Posted by NikolaiI View Post
    No, certainly not new. But you can undersand that painting them as beautiful is a very different thing from painting them as grotesque, which which would rather suggest the opposite. As when certain artists descended into madness, and their paintings or drawings became more and more grotesque.

In other words, to paint the beautiful form is to show the earthy - as you mention it - is beautiful and good, and not something to be ashamed of.

This is why they're painted with beauty and health radiating, as these are the what the artist wishes to portray. Indeed, there are many who believe that health and beauty are reflections of health, vigor, peace and beauty of the spirit which shapes the physical form.
    i am not sure being ashamed is what i think of when i see a nude painting.
    i feel more discomfort because i like shapes rather then in you face body parts.
    does that make sense?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    can i ask what you see when you look at a nude painting and then a fully clothed one?

I look for the same things whether the painting in question is a Nude, a clothed Portrait, a Landscape, or a Still Life. I am looking for an image that resonates with the unique vision of the artist. I am looking at how well the artist has organized the various elements of art (line, shape, color, etc...) and employed the principals of design (harmony, balance, contrast) in order to successfully communicate the artist's intentions. Ultimately, I am looking for a work of art that speaks to me... and continues to speak to me over time.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by stlukesguild View Post
    That was often the sales pitch that was given to justify the nude. The reality was often far more earthy. Artists and patrons in the past were just as much a horny bunch as we are today. Sex and an erotic passion for admiring (ogling) the naked human body is not something new.
    Heh heh. True enough, though there is also the tradition of Hellenic idealism and the human form (something Matsys is lampooning). But perhaps that's just a higher caliber sales pitch. In any case, thanks for the dirty pictures.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 03-30-2015 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    Heh heh. True enough, though there is also the tradition of Hellenic idealism and the human form (something Matsys is lampooning). But perhaps that's just a higher caliber sales pitch. In any case, thanks for the dirty pictures.
    dirty??
    now you said.
    perhaps nature aims to keep clean
    and then nudity comes along to churn it unclean
    who knows
    a painting aim to elevate it to that of a glorified nudified whether it succeeds or not is in the eye of the beholder.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Quote Originally Posted by stlukesguild View Post
    can i ask what you see when you look at a nude painting and then a fully clothed one?

I look for the same things whether the painting in question is a Nude, a clothed Portrait, a Landscape, or a Still Life. I am looking for an image that resonates with the unique vision of the artist. I am looking at how well the artist has organized the various elements of art (line, shape, color, etc...) and employed the principals of design (harmony, balance, contrast) in order to successfully communicate the artist's intentions. Ultimately, I am looking for a work of art that speaks to me... and continues to speak to me over time.
    i understand
    would you agree there is less movement and skill with regards to nude exposees since the aim is to take everything off the body and shows it bare so it becomes dare/stare?
    after all if we stare we think less.
    and also
    all nude paintings are extremely similar if not repetitive if you have seen one you have seen all of them?
    the mind differentiates no longer it is almost an anger/in anger?
    nudity tends to take off/strip characteristics from that of a face/figure the nudes become depersonalised one cannot tell them apart?
    Last edited by cacian; 03-30-2015 at 12:32 PM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    dirty??
    Oh yes, I mean, um, earthy. Dirt vs. earth. Quite the distinction.

Oh yes, I mean, um, earthy. Dirt vs. earth. Quite the distinction.
    lol
    dirty is perfectly acceptable i think as long as one is not dirtied
    earthy is vast one thinks to last
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    dirty is perfectly acceptable i think as long as one is not dirtied
    Agreed. ;-)

EARTHY
    That adjective given for earth
    Is a mood that inclines toward a birth:
    If today we say "flirty"
    (For none dare call it dirty),
    Still tomorrow it bumps a girl's girth.

Agreed. ;-)

EARTHY
    That adjective given for earth
    Is a mood that inclines toward a birth:
    If today we say "flirty"
    (For none dare call it dirty),
    Still tomorrow it bumps a girl's girth.
    howdy that is a nice perky piece
    did you write that?
    and is
    a girl's girth
    her waist?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Closed
    Thanks.

Yes, I write all my own stuff. And yes, a girth is the measurement of a waist. Don't you have Limericks where you come from?

da DA da da DA da da DA (a)
    da DA da da DA (b)
    da DA da da DA (b)

And they're supposed to be risqué. They're easy and fun. Mine are mostly too, um, earthy to post, though. ;-)
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 03-30-2015 at 02:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast