Thread: Terry Pratchett has died

Terry Pratchett has died

The BBC is reporting that Terry Pratchett has died, aged 66. At the time of posting there is pretty much no information in the news story, but it might be updated throughout the day.

I know that he wasn't the most literary of authors so a lot of posters on this forum might not have read his works (including me), but he did sell a lot of books.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill 42 View Post
    The BBC is reporting that Terry Pratchett has died, aged 66. At the time of posting there is pretty much no information in the news story, but it might be updated throughout the day.

I know that he wasn't the most literary of authors so a lot of posters on this forum might not have read his works (including me), but he did sell a lot of books.
    'he wasn't the most literary of authors!!!' wow . Pratchett is practically shakespeare compared to most other authors today. I'd be more upset if not for the Alzheimer's which was slowly destroying his incredible mind.
    He is.... was.. an amazing author a shining light in literature and will be sorely missed.
    R.I.P.

RIP Terry. His comic novels are great light relief after trying to tackle some of that serious literary stuff.

Was always a very humble man too. Sad news.
    Vladimir: (sententious.) To every man his little cross. (He sighs.) Till he dies. (Afterthought.) And is forgotten.

Very sad news. I always loved his stuff.
    'So - this is where we stand. Win all, lose all,
    we have come to this: the crisis of our lives'

Blog Entries
    For me he was a great author. Very funny, perfect comic timing, with a great and unique imagination combined with the skill to express it. He brought us whole new worlds that showed us the absurdity of our own.
    I wonder what DEATH said to him
    Last edited by prendrelemick; 03-12-2015 at 04:46 PM.
    ay up

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've actually shed some tears this evening. I can't think of a single other human being, that I have never met in person, who has brought so much joy into my life.

I'm thinking of the times, as a teenager, when I would sit in bed reading long into the night, always thinking 'just a few more pages...'. I'm thinking of the countless times, on public transport, in cafes, when I would burst out into inappropriate laughter. I'm remembering a man who faced down the destruction of his own mind with wit, fortitude, and eloquence.

I am grateful for his legacy. I am furious for the books that he never got to write.

For all the many hundreds, thousands, of books I've read across many cultures and time periods, Good Omens continues to be my favourite novel. By no means a great piece of art, but simply perfect in and of itself. It never fails to make me laugh.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    A great loss. I am a huge fan of his work, especially the Discworld series. My copies are all well-thumbed and suffering from excessive wear and tear. He will be sorely missed. I hope DEATH looks after him.

Not an artist in terms of language in itself, BUT terribly clever writing and terribly funny!

I'm sure they'll have a lot of fun in heaven.
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)