Thread: I Was Satisfied!!!!

Julie

All's Well that Ends Well

Depending on your definition of "movie", all Shakespeare's plays HAVE been turned into movies, thanks to the BBC and Time-Life Video. They were produced in the early 80's. I am in the process of going through all 37 plays on videos, sound recordings, and annotated print editions. While some of these BBC/T-LV productions are rather mediocre, they are pretty indispensable when there are no other video resources available (Henry VI, anyone?).<br><br>Some productions actually have movie stars in them: Anthony Hopkins as Othello (ick), Helen Mirren as Titania (not the Helen we are used to!) and John Cleese as Petruchio. My local library system carries them here in Portland, Oregon, and I would guess that they are widely distributed.

Kieran

No Subject

Instead of relying on a director to present this play to you, why don't you go directly to the actual text and read them? Often the movies bear differences so great that the original play written by Willy are unrecognisable. I am glad that you enjoy the work but please, please, please don't allow Hollywood to determine which plays you read or even enjoy.<br>He may be a little difficult to understand but with every reading of the text you understand something new or appreciate an alternative twist that maybe you were unable to see before.<br>There are some great movies made and some great interpretations on the text but that's what they - interpretations, someones opinion on how the action should be portrayed which may not be the same as your own. So go back to the texts and enjoy the wonderful language said and acted as you would want it.

Gabrielle Crichlow

I Was Satisfied!!!!

I only read the summary, but it was excellent! Shakespeare is such a wonderful playwright! I hope all of his plays turn to movies so I could see them!

Keiran, the BBC versions are renowned for being faithful to the text, as they were made for educational purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrielle Crichlow View Post
    I only read the summary, but it was excellent! Shakespeare is such a wonderful playwright! I hope all of his plays turn to movies so I could see them!
    All of them have been filmed except The Two Noble Kinsman.