Thread: No Subject

Angel

No Subject

i didnt quite get ur point. as a quite intelligent 21 century do we need an answer. not getting one gives us room to think about both answers and decide for ourselves what she should say. we shouldnt need to be told everything all the time as we have imaginations of our own.

Lucio

No Subject

to No.1: Lucio IS hanged:the Duke says:I find an apt remission in myself;<br>and yet here´s one in place I cannot perdon.<br>I played the part of Lucio,and I know,that first I was married and then I got hanged.

Unregistered

No Subject

Oxford Shakespeare notes for Measure for Measure state that he is pardoned from his prior punishments and will therefore be ordered to marry the 'punk'

Unregistered

No Subject

Lucio isn't hanged in the end. he just has to marry the "punk". The Duke says<br> "Thy slanders I forgive, and therewithal<br>Remit thy other forfeits.-Take him to prison,<br>And see our pleasure herein executed."<br><br>The word executed simply meaning 'carried out' not 'killed'. The duke wants the marriage to be carried out.

Miss

No Subject

It seems like the Duke will hang Lucio, but really he forces him to marry Kate Keepdown. (as this is the same punishment of Claudio) The Duke uses marriage as a punishment in this way and between Angelo and Mariana. Therefore I think it is quite ironic that he proposes to Isabella. Obviously Shakespeare has purposely left her without lines (hence a choice) but I seriously believe that the "virtuous maid" would refuse this offer, and therefore this device is used because otherwise if she refused it would move into the genre of tragedy rather than tragdicomedy. <br>

A

Act 2 scene 1

Act Two Scene 1 offers comical theatricality while at the same time underlining the importance of the lower strata of society. The fact that Pompey is allowed to continue after her trial is a measure with which to judge the new laws severity, and the Duke's previous laxity.<br><br>If justice falls into the trap of Pompey's innuendo then it would be seen as accepting its assumptions. <br><br>In this act we see that it is the lower classes of society which recognise the problems with law and justice. It also highlights the concepts of virtue, disguise and deception.<br><br>

Allegra H

No Subject

No.1, Lucio is not hanged - the Duke pardons him from that.<br>No.2, the major point of the play was missed out - at the end the Duke proposes marriage to Isabella, to which we are given no reply.