Thread: We Have Our Suspicions.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries

We Have Our Suspicions.

We Have Our Suspicions.

It was a late January morning in Whitehall and the Home Secretary, George St James was smiling the smile he reserved for particularly tiresome people.

He remembered back to the time of the formation of the present government. Via reliable sources at his Club, he had been informed of how the Permanent Undersecretary at the Home Office, Sir Charles Cunningham had phoned the then Director General of MI5, Jonathan Evans to tell him that the new Home Secretary would be himself, but that the PM proposed to transfer responsibility for security to Albert Riggs as Paymaster General, (in effect minister without portfolio). Evans and Cunningham had apparently both seen "substantial objections to, (in other words, were appalled by) the PMs plan”, which would have thrown the whole Home Office Warrant system on which the Security Service depended, into disarray.

The decision in the face of opposition, regards this specific responsibility had been subsequently reversed; but Riggs, a former colonel in the Colonial Service Education Corps in its palmy days, had still maintained his position as an unofficial emissary of the PM, keeping him up to date with plotting within, and sometimes outside the party, as well as with sexual and other irregularities on the benches which might erupt into public scandals.

Rigg's passion was secrets and he was at his happiest in the twilight world of spies and counter-spies, and viewed his fellow MPs with the same ferocious suspicion as he would have lavished on an accredited agent of the KGB. He thrived in an over-imaginative world of malevolent spymasters, intricate trade craft and cold-eyed betrayal.

Today was one of those days when Riggs paid an occasional Home Office visit, during which it was his practice to deliver cryptic messages.

To the Home Secretary, the half-comic, half-sinister Albert Riggs, though nominally Paymaster-General, was in fact a licensed scavenger in Whitehall dustbins and an interferer in security matters. To St James, based on the experience of previous visits, the cryptic messages of Riggs increasingly came to refer back to ones raised before, which at the time had passed over his head, and thus the crypticism had become compounded.

He felt however that it was prudent to roll with whatever was said, particularly as nothing ever seemed to follow from it. But he could not but refrain from disapproval, that the PM could ever sustain a probability of mental sustenance in the shape of this individual’s gossip.

Riggs entered, was greeted and sat opposite St James.

"You know the matter I talked to you about last time," Riggs began.

"It hasn't moved much, but I'll keep watching it."

The Home Secretary nodded sagely, not having a clue regards the subject under discussion. He hoped that by appearing to concur, his visitor would go away satisfied and leave him in peace.

However Riggs, in presenting a fine range of conjecture and pathetic hopefulness, was not finished.

"Have you Home Secretary, read the novel "Ralph" by John Stonehouse?"

"No, I must confess that I am not acquainted with it," replied St James.

"Why?"

"Well," commenced Riggs, "As you are no doubt aware, the only British politician, (so far as is known) to have acted as a foreign agent while holding ministerial office was John Stonehouse, who served in the Wilson governments of 1964-70, without cabinet rank I might add. He was recruited by the “StB” after falling victim to a honey trap during a visit to Czechoslovakia in the late 1950s. He subsequently wrote what was presumably an autobiographic novel called "Ralph." I've taken the liberty of bringing you a copy, but would caution that it be kept away from female eyes."

"Thank you so much Paymaster General, I'm much obliged for your kindness and will ensure it is locked away in my top drawer."

Riggs looked pleased.

"It's about a Senior British civil servant in the European Commission who is entrapped by a seductive “Lotte” of East German intelligence.”
    “Apparently, I'm reliably informed that she was one of their best operators, but what she did was strictly in the line of duty. Let me read you an extract that I've highlighted for you."

The Home Secretary groaned inwardly but was powerless to intervene.

Riggs leaned forward, the book opened on his knee, pursed his lips and began;

"I enjoyed my last evening with “Lotte”, in which, after initial foreplay she sent sensations of joy to every crevice of my brain. It was only after one last "magnificent thrust", that I noticed our reflections on a suspiciously positioned oval mirror on the ceiling".

"What do you think so far Home Secretary?"

"Fascinating," he replied, perhaps too glibly.

"I think it has an exhilarating flavour and I trust that by incorporating its scope into your enquiries, you convert it into a complete and finished work of art that we can all learn lessons from.”

Riggs purred.

But St James could not however help but speculate mentally, that the book would likely involve the constant "hitching up" of lower garments which, however popular in transpontine dramas, could not but be considered an extremely awkward habit, especially during the summer months.

It would also, going on what he had heard so far, be a strong contender for the Literary Review's Bad Sex Award.
    Last edited by MANICHAEAN; 01-26-2015 at 03:16 AM.

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    I had lots of trouble comprehending the second paragraph. I like the last sentence. Why not start your story with that line? It will hook a lot of readers, guaranteed.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Yes that second paragraph does come across as convoluted when I read it again.

The way my mind works perhaps Aunty. Could never write crisp, terse sentences like Hemingway (too much Gibbon in my system!)
    Take care
    M.

Realistic text could be more brilliant work on strengthening the end also.
    Thank you

Interesting to me as I had to regularly cross over from West Berlin into East Berlin during the Cold War. I look forward to the next section of the story.

Closed
    Jolly good, old man! Local colour, eh what? Playing fields of Eton and all that. Ta for now!

Blog Entries
    Thank you Lee. Glad you enjoyed it.

If you are referring to the main official crossing at Checkpoint Charlie, it was always a bit spooky. Soviet T55 tanks on the east side of the Friedrichstrasse near that U sign marking a subway station, facing off against US M48 tanks on the west side fitted with bulldozer mounts. No Berlin Wall at that time, and an East German border guard in the middle, near two low sets of concrete blocks you had to weave around.

It always surprised me as well the way the buildings were still basically intact at that location, though there was dark humour in the sign saying "You are leaving the American sector," big letters in English, Russian and French, with small letters for the German translation. Showed who was in charge!

Please excuse Pompey. I have it on good authority that he is a descendent of Hereward the Wake which would go a long way to explaining his remarks.

Yes, I do refer to Checkpoint Charlie, but when I crossed there were no tanks, just our guys staring at their guys with obvious hostility in their eyes.

I had to cross into East Berlin to visit with my wife's aunt and grandmother. Her mother and two of her sisters were trapped in what was to become West Berlin when the City fell to the Russians. On my first visit, all of the passengers were ordered off the Est German Army bus in which I was forced to travel.

This was done at gunpoint for a claimed security check, even though they knew all were either American or British. The most disgusting part of being made to travel in those buses was that the East German army personnel used to urinate on the seats before we boarded on their side of the checkpoint, then they would order us to sit, stating no standing was allowed.

Another irritant was that no matter where I went in East Berlin I had a shadow following, and once I had finished with the family visit the police would arrive at the apartment to interrogate the aunt and grandmother, and confiscate all of the gifts I had delivered. In the end I took nothing in the way of gifts unless it was food or cigarettes from ration packs, much of it donated by my buddies, for the so called confiscation was nothing more than legalized theft!

On one trip, we managed to get two young East German guys out, both being my wife’s cousins, and over into the West by dressing them up as our service guys. The amazing thing about the East Germans was that their fascist style strict security procedures were full of holes. Such as at the Checkpoint, for in my time there our visiting groups would be counted crossing over to the East, but not when returning to the West.

The East German regime was just another made up from politically motivated control freaks, bully boys and arrogant jumped up nothings. Being in contact with that trash has made me detest arrogance, both political and social. There was never any freedom of speech nor expression in East Germany, just a good old dose of tyrannical rule supplied via Moscow.

Blog Entries
    That's fascinating, Lee. A few years ago I watched the movie "The Lives of Others," I think in subtitles, I'm not 100% sure - a wonderful film - I didn't know it was still like that so many years after the war. . . Definitely recommend that movie to anyone - it's set in Berlin shortly before the wall came down. I guess it's a fairly famous movie probably since the Wiki page is fairly lengthy.

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by MANICHAEAN View Post
    Please excuse Pompey. I have it on good authority that he is a descendent of Hereward the Wake which would go a long way to explaining his remarks.
    White cliffs of Dover, old man! Tunbridge Wells! Nigel Bruce, what? Mary Poppins, eh what? Ringo and Twiggy, what what?
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 01-31-2015 at 09:01 AM.

Blog Entries
    Lee
    What you wrote, and being first hand experience, was a gem in background material for that period in German history.
    I'ts a bit like when Gimpey Fac writes in his Short Story thread "No title yet" on his experience as a Marine in Vietnam ( over 13,000 views I note.)
    If you have more, share them. I for one would be interested.
    Sorry there is no Chapt 2 on my story. It was a one off.
    Best regards
    M

I'm a bit confused as to why you posted this as you don’t intend to continue with it.Pity, it could be the basis of a good plot. However I’ll give you a few remarks on the piece.

It’s not the best idea to present the reader with four names plus their titles (They are a bit of a mouth full) in the first couple of paragraphs. Far better is to introduce them when needed.
    I think the cabinet members would be on first name basis with each other, with the exception of the Prime Minister.

A small point when writing dialogue. Its better to keep the speech from one character together and not to drop a continuation on a fresh line.
    Thus.
    "No, I must confess that I am not acquainted with it," replied St James. "Why?"

Dropping to a fresh line
    "No, I must confess that I am not acquainted with it," replied St James.
    "Why?"
    Can confuse the reader as to who is speaking.

Regards Cari.