Thread: Essay question for Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe

Essay question for Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe

In my history class I have to write a paper on the following subject.. I'm having a great deal of trouble, any help anyone could give me would be very much appreciated.

How does Harriet Beecher Stowe – who was the daughter, wife, and sister of ministers – characterize antebellum Christianity in Uncle Tom’s Cabin? Examine the rituals, beliefs, purpose, etc., of religion for three different characters – Tom and two others – and generally analyze how they reconcile slavery and Christianity. You must discuss Tom’s spiritual life as well as two of the following: Ophelia St. Clare, Mr. and Mrs. Shelby, Eliza, George Harris, Simeon and Rachel Halliday, Marie St. Clare, or Cassy. Compare and contrast their spiritual lives. Do not judge whether they are “good” or “bad” Christians; you are explaining the role of Christianity in their lives.

Brian Kays

Wow... Hard Question >.< but very interesting... You should be able to do some of these yourself, what do you think of the way she wrote them in the book? How is their Christain lives? I don't know, but maybe you should break it all down into multiple questions
    Obsessed reading =

Here's the simple equation for Uncle Tom's Cabin:

Blacks encoded as inherently spiritual and religious, but in a naive way (Stowe, like many abolitionists, thought Blacks racially inferior)

Whites encoded as inherently wicked and cruel