Thread: Annual Short Story Competition '15

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar

Annual Short Story Competition '15

Dear All,

The Literature Network will hold an annual short story competition, which will be open to all its members. The rules of the competition are:

1. The stories should be submitted as email attachments in MS Word format and should be minimum 500 and maximum 2000 words and include your Forum names as well. Please send your stories to [email protected]. Please do not post your stories on the Forum!

2. There will be 5 selections (in February, April, June, August and October) throughout the year and only the stories which have been submitted before the first of these months will be included in that month's elimination. The five stories which win the each selection will take part in the final voting in November and December.

3. Members can submit only one entry for each selection round. If their story is a winner, they will not be allowed to take part in other selections.

4. The Admin or Moderators are not responsible for editing or correcting of the stories and therefore the writers themselves are required to make sure that there are no grammatical or spelling errors. The submitted copy is final and further corrections by the writers will be disregarded.

5. Please still submit your stories in MS Word.docs. or Rich Text.rtf or Notepad.txt files, but PLAIN TEXT only.

If you want to FORMAT your stories, use the vBulletin forum codes, which can be found here:

http://www.online-literature.com/for....php?do=bbcode

6. Only those members with at least 100 posts by each voting period can submit stories for the competition and vote in the polls.

7. Those who enter the competition agree to keep the information on their identities and stories confidential till the end of that year (only the Admin and Moderators will have access to that information). Those who breach this rule will be disqualified automatically.

8. All entries should be your own original work and not have appeared anywhere else before. Authors retain the copyright rights for the stories submitted to the competition.

9. All submissions must be your sole creative work and written for this particular competition. Anyone found plagiarising will be disqualified from this and all future contests.

10. If one of the 5 entrants selected for the final vote are no longer a member of the site at the time of the final vote, they forfeit their entry and the second place entry for their leg of entries gets bumped to first place.

11. You can withdraw a story during the submission period; however, once the voting starts, no story can be withdrawn.

Good luck!

Those members who would like to take part in the first elimination in February can send their entries now (by January 31st).
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries

Let's Get Busy

Those members who would like to take part in the first elimination in February can send their entries now (by January 31st).
    Looks as if LitNetters have about a week left.

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    8. All entries should be your own original work and not have appeared anywhere else before. Authors retain the copyright rights for the stories submitted to the competition.
    Just to make sure: does this mean that stories that have been posted on this forum by the author are also no longer eligible for the competition?
    Without any form of punctuation, our language would not say "I'm perfect"; it would say "imperfect".

"Access to works of art cannot be defined solely in terms of physical accessibility, since works of art exist only for those who have the means of understanding them."

Could you please elaborate point no. 6 bit more.

Does the story have to have a particular theme?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Stewart View Post
    Does the story have to have a particular theme?
    No theme , just make sure you check all of the rules first.

Especially not to upload the entered story anywhere else on the site, just email it in and you will need to clock up some more posts (99 in fact) before you can enter or vote. That is surprisingly easy to do if you get involved in the games section and talking to people about thier stories and poems or upoad some of your own (that you don't intend to use for the competition).

The 100 posts seems way too high. I suppose I could willy nilly just post anything, but that goes against my grain. I have a personal policy to not post unless I have something to say. Something that will be helpful. So I guess I'll try tor the next deadline.

There is a website where I can cut and paste a story into it, and that site produces a copy in html. It takes MS word and keeps all the layout as I want. I love it. When I am legal to enter the contest, can I do this? Or do I have to learn the limited html provided by contest?

Thanks.

So wait--

Was there a June? Was there an August? Where are these threads?

J

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Since there were not enough entries, we did not run the poll in those months.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    Ok then folks, time to get writing for October

Just google "writing prompts" if you need some ideas !

Blog Entries
    When does the voting for finals begin?
    People laugh at me 'coz they think I'm a fool...I smile because I made someone laugh
    Nikhar Agrawal