Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed

Disappointed

I must say, this site is a bit of a let down - people asking about their homework assignments and not many people posting proper questions - at least not in the poetry section. I thought it would be more buzzing than this. But it's a great resource site for poetry and books.
    “Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius.” Mozart

There are always people asking for feedback or pointers on homework, or to have their homework done for them; the former's no problem, but we try to discourage the latter.

There's also a flood on 1984 every year about this time, as you've doubtless noticed; that should dwindle soon.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Oh dear Sospira an here's poor Lil me doin' ma poor best. This is an Internet literary bus stop fer Padraig's sake. You want real depth go to paper.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You're here when stluke, JBI, jcamilo, and MorpheusSandman and others I'm forgetting are not particularly active. They're the literary heart of the forum.

There has been a definite tailing off in the quality of posters and their comments with lots of people dipping in and out and never to be heard from again.
    I think the attraction is the non-literary sub forums which seem to garner the most activity. This is a pity but Litnet would be less interesting were it to be confined solely to books. Some of the comment on the other sites, if informed and well presented, makes interesting reading and supplements the literature sections to the network's advantage.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Quote Originally Posted by Lykren View Post
    You're here when stluke, JBI, jcamilo, and MorpheusSandman and others I'm forgetting are not particularly active. They're the literary heart of the forum.
    Ah, the golden days of litnet!
    "You understand well enough what slavery is, but freedom you have never experienced, so you do not know if it tastes sweet or bitter. If you ever did come to experience it, you would advise us to fight for it not with spears only, but with axes too." - Herodotus

https://consolationofreading.wordpress.com/ - my book blog!
    Feed the Hungry!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The golden days seem to come and go. Morpheus is probably off gambling online. Hopefully he'll get back to one of his cultural sprees soon.

I highly recommend going back through the pages and checking out all of the older threads. JBI, Stlukes, Mortal, Morpheus, Petrarch's Love, Virgil, JCamillo and a few other heavy hitters were most prominent during 2008-2013…and there's literally hundreds of pages worth of threads to go through. There's also hundreds of great topics that came up, touching on just about every literary subject you could find. I learnt a great deal from all those guys, and I still occasionally go back and re-read threads from the past, because the discussions were so enlightening. They were also quite fluid, in that they regularly touched on other areas of art (like some of Stlukes fantastic posts about art history).
    Vladimir: (sententious.) To every man his little cross. (He sighs.) Till he dies. (Afterthought.) And is forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Sospira View Post
    I must say, this site is a bit of a let down - people asking about their homework assignments and not many people posting proper questions - at least not in the poetry section. I thought it would be more buzzing than this. But it's a great resource site for poetry and books.
    Perhaps you should consider adopting Jane Austen's philosophy. In a letter to her sister Cassandra she wrote, "I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them."

Comparing it to a lot of other websites dedicated to literature it's WAY more vivid - at least that's what I thought the first time I saw it. Probably that's why I decided to join : )

I'm also starting to think that I'm somehow unlucky. I've been to a lot of different internet communities and for the most times, I joined them after their - so called - "golden age", in terms of users activity. Well, maybe I'm just to young for the internet...

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Härt Noiz View Post
    I'm also starting to think that I'm somehow unlucky. I've been to a lot of different internet communities and for the most times, I joined them after their - so called - "golden age", in terms of users activity. Well, maybe I'm just to young for the internet...
    Hello Hart. I'm a newb here, too, and I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your experience probably has less to do with luck than the proliferation of Facebook, which has left many of the old message boards devastated. The fact that LitNet survives and, despite what some of the old timers say, continues to thrive, is a testament to the strength and robustness of the community here.

So my advice is: golden age be damned. We'll make a new golden age and the old veterans (who are to be respected) will get used to us eventually. But for the record, I haven't been at all disappointed. It takes some time to get to know people here but that's because most are honest and thoughtful people rather than banal or tail-wagging hypocrites. Some are artists, too, and in general, artists are worth all the cr*p they put you through (just never lend one money). As far as your being too young for the internet goes, I'm too old and if I don't care (and I don't), then you're not allowed to. So welcome and I'll see you around.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 11-17-2014 at 02:47 PM.

There's always ebb and flow. Pompey Bum has the right idea; instead of letting others decide when a "golden age" was, make your own.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

I also agree with Pompey Bum; thought I think that still - omitting those narratives of 'golden age' - the most important thing is to just have fun with a bit of intellectual background ; )

Closed
    This is an auspicious occasion: two people in a row have ever agreed with me about anything before.

I see from your profile, Hart, that you are from Poland. That is completely cool. Do you read/like Conrad? Who are your favorite authors in any case?

In Poland we read Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" in schools - and I have to admit that I hated to read school readings, probably I read only Gombrowicz (whom I highly recommend). And it's difficult for me to talk about favorite authors, because each of them is characteristic in different way. Hemingway, obviously, because I'm writing BA paper about him, American minimalist authors (Carver, Easton Ellis, Palahniuk), Scandinavian crime novelists, Russian writers like Chekov, Dostoyevsky, Bulgakov, Erofeyev... yes, there are a lot of them : D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast