Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 3 of 130 FirstFirst 123456781353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Astronomy

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    I suspect there is no clear answer as to why the moon has the shape it does, just different theories. I would just use Gibbous to describe the moon lit from underneath and the illusion that results in.

Blog Entries
    I have always liked astronomy, but never caught the fever for it. My dad had a decent telescope at one point when we were kids, and we lived in the country which made it better for looking at the stars. I got to see Saturn and the Moon and some other things... I loved it but it never interested me as much as the other sciences. Space travel, which is probably one of the most important things we can do, is very dependent on it though, so for that reason I would always support it.

Blog Entries
    So far it has been too cloudy to take the binoculars outside. I think I should be able to see Mars in the west after the sun sets.

Blog Entries
    What's your favorite celestial body to view?

The moon has been mine, if only because I don't have a telescope or a nearby astro club to join.

I look forward to being able to see the clear sky, never mind the heavily overcast cloud we have had for most of November, as soon as clear skies appear I will be looking. YesNo, what can you see of Mars with binoculars?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwoven View Post
    I suspect there is no clear answer as to why the moon has the shape it does, just different theories. I would just use Gibbous to describe the moon lit from underneath and the illusion that results in.
    The prevailing theory, which is both simple and makes sense, is that 1) the molten moon was splooshed from the new, still-molten Earth when a Mars-sized body impacted it several billion years ago, and 2) the tidal forces from Earth's gravity slightly distorted the molten moon into its current shape, which became permanent when it cooled.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

I'm sorry to admit that I've never looked through a telescope, but I have seen the nighttime sky from a mountainside in Nepal - there was nothing like it.
    A just conception of life is too large a thing to grasp during the short interval of passing through it.
    Thomas Hardy

Blog Entries
    That's wonderful. I would love to as well... I lived 10 miles out in the country so there was less light pollution, but from what I understand there's still a world of difference if you can get to a place very far from cities.

Quote Originally Posted by NikolaiI View Post
    That's wonderful. I would love to as well... I lived 10 miles out in the country so there was less light pollution, but from what I understand there's still a world of difference if you can get to a place very far from cities.
    Ah, but what counts as very far? There are several towns just 10 km from us, even though we are in a rather isolated part of Sweden.

At the same time I am sure that 108 fountains can see a lot more in Nepal than from other places in crossed Europe: must be wonderful!

Blog Entries
    Well, the antarctic cricle would qualify

Also I am sure it depends on how large the cities are... 10 miles away from a town of 500 would be nice, but 10 miles from Las Vegas probably wouldn't be that great.

I was at about 10,000 feet (3000 m); not sure if that elevation is significant enough to make a difference, but I remember it being clearer and more three dimensional than the time I was out on a boat on the Mediterranean and also had a great view of the sky at night.
    A just conception of life is too large a thing to grasp during the short interval of passing through it.
    Thomas Hardy

I am sure being at 10,000 feet would make a difference - a big one.Sounds like an experience of a lifetime!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwoven View Post
    The moon has been mine, if only because I don't have a telescope or a nearby astro club to join.

I look forward to being able to see the clear sky, never mind the heavily overcast cloud we have had for most of November, as soon as clear skies appear I will be looking. YesNo, what can you see of Mars with binoculars?
    I don't know. I suspect just a red dot of light, but so far it has been too cloudy (or I forgot to look on the clear days). The moon has something more interesting to look at.

I understand you can see the moons of Jupiter with binoculars, but I would have to find out where Jupiter is in the sky first.

I use the British Popular Astronomy website to locate the when and where of planets.

Jupiter
    A Selection of Section Members Images are reproduced below together with occassional notes from me:

The new Jupiter observing 'season' has barely started with Jupiter still a very early morning object in November 2014; but it will rapidly become more accesible and new images will be posted here soon. In the mean time the last Jupiter apparition produced a wealth of interesting features that were observed and imaged by SPA members. Here are a few from February and March this year.

Transiting moons can be seen as a shadow on Jupiter, as the website shows. I have seen them with a friend's telescope showing them on either side of Jupiter (there are over 60 moons of Jupiter) - an unforgettable sight.

But I hope to be able to see more with my binoculars under good conditions.

Blog Entries
    Does Astronomy engender a desire to go to these places for any of you? I can truthfully say the desire has never left me.