Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 114 of 130 FirstFirst ... 1464104109110111112113114115116117118119124 ... LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 1950

Thread: Astronomy

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You do well in being careful, DW. There is also the danger of getting a cold. But the weather ought to be getting warmer. Spring in the Northern Hemisphere has begun today.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    Yes, I should be able to get out twice a day!

https://www.universetoday.com/138824...s-next-target/

In July of 2015, NASA’s New Horizons mission made history when it became the first spacecraft to conduct a flyby of Pluto. Since that time, the spacecraft’s mission was extended so it could make its way farther into the outer Solar System and explore some Kuiper Belt Objects (KBOs). Another historic first, the spacecraft will study these ancient objects in the hopes of learning more about the formation and evolution of the Solar System.

By Jan. 1st, 2019, it will have arrived at its first destination, the KBO known as 2014 MU69. And with the help of the public, this object recently received the nickname “Ultima Thule” (“ultima thoo-lee”). This object, which orbits our Sun at a distance of about 1.6 billion km (1 billion miles) beyond Pluto, will be the most primitive object ever observed by a spacecraft. It will also be the farthest encounter ever achieved in the history of space exploration.

Blog Entries
    I would have preferred a name without "ultima"(last) in it.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Blog Entries
    As there aren´t so many news at present:

https://www.space.com/40039-watch-au...atellites.html

It is funny how we have at least 2 unknown animals in our world the Yeti in Nepal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeti and the Loch Ness Monster in Scotland - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loch_Ness_Monster.

We can now add a third to this list https://www.livescience.com/62081-my...es-ashore.html.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    What Stephen Hawking’s Final Paper Says (And Doesn’t Say)

Stephen Hawking’s last paper is titled “A Smooth Exit from Eternal Inflation?” It tackles the idea of a multiverse, a vast collection of universes that exist simultaneously, though they’re spread out almost unimaginably far from each other. Multiverses arose, the theory goes, because of something called inflation. In the fractions of a second after our universe emerged, space-time expanded at an immense rate. As it did so, tiny quantum fluctuations expanded to become the large-scale features of the universe we observe today, and which serve as evidence that the theory might be true.

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2018/0...and-doesnt-say

post #1698 hasn't been answered. Like to have a go?

Blog Entries
    I answeres it with #1699. Only it was a short answer relating to the matter of the name.
    This subject of the name "Ultima Thule" also came up in post #1987.
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 03-25-2018 at 07:26 AM.

I think its fascinating the variety of space objects there are in the Kuiper Belt, where Pluto was found. Weird shapes, and several worlds with their own moons. Gravity is so weak out there that you get peculiar combinations.

http://earthsky.org/earth/great-paci...r-than-thought

This is a sort of sad thing. The Great Pacific garbage patch seems to be growing...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwoven View Post
    I think its fascinating the variety of space objects there are in the Kuiper Belt, where Pluto was found. Weird shapes, and several worlds with their own moons. Gravity is so weak out there that you get peculiar combinations.
    Yes. And the better instruments they build more of these objects are discovered.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwoven View Post
    http://earthsky.org/earth/great-paci...r-than-thought

This is a sort of sad thing. The Great Pacific garbage patch seems to be growing...
    Yes it´s terrible and the problem tends to grow. Here in São Paulo the administration doesn´t even manage to clean the most important rivers though billions were put into it.
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 03-28-2018 at 06:03 AM.

Blog Entries
    What the first American astronauts taught us about living in space
    Date:
    March 27, 2018
    Source:
    Baylor College of Medicine
    Summary:
    Project Mercury proved that humans could live and work in space, paving the way for all future human exploration.
    "The Project Mercury astronauts were military test pilots on active duty who volunteered for these missions. They were between 35 and 40 years of age at the time of the flight, and, because room was limited inside the space capsule, they had to be no taller than 5 feet 11 inches.

Depending on the mission, the flights were either in a suborbital or in a low-orbit path and lasted between 15 minutes and 34 hours. During the flights, the astronauts wore a 20-pound spacesuit designed to back up the capsule's support system and remained restrained by a harness in a semi-supine position while performing their tasks. Common clinical measures, such as heart rate, body temperature and breathing rate, were taken to monitor their medical condition. At the time, scientists and physicians knew little about the human tolerance to a sustained weightless environment, only what ground simulations -- 'dress rehearsals' -- would predict. These first flights provided some answers to what to expect during short-term space flights."
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0327141707.htm