Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 108 of 130 FirstFirst ... 85898103104105106107108109110111112113118 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 1950

Thread: Astronomy

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    Popular Astronomy Monthly Publication 2

SURFACE OF GIANT STAR IMAGED
    Georgia State University

Astronomers have produced the first detailed images of the surface of a
    giant star, revealing a nearly spherical, dust-free atmosphere with complex
    areas of moving material, known as convection cells or granules. The giant
    star, named pi1 Gruis, is one of the stars in the southern constellation
    Grus. An evolved star in the last major phase of its life, pi1 Gruis is
    350 times the size of the Sun and resembles what our Sun will become at the
    end of its life in five billion years. Studying that star gives scientists insight about the future activity, characteristics and appearance of the Sun. Convection, the transfer of heat by the bulk movement of gases and liquids, plays a major role in astrophysical processes, such as energy transport, pulsation and winds. The Sun has about two million convective
    cells that are typically 2,000 km across, but theorists believe that giant
    and supergiant stars should have only a few large convective cells because
    of their low surface gravities. Determining the convection properties of
    most evolved and supergiant stars, such as the sizes of granules, has been
    challenging because their surfaces are frequently obscured by dust. In the
    study summarized here, the researchers discovered that the surface of the
    giant star pi1 Gruis had a complex convective pattern, and that a typical
    granule measured 1.2 x 10^11 metres horizontally or 27% of the diameter of
    the star.

This is the first time that astronomers have unambiguously imaged such a
    giant star with that level of detail. The reason is that there is a limit
    to the details that can be seen, related to the size of the telescope used
    for the observations. The team used an interferometer, in which the light
    from several telescopes is combined, achieving a resolution equivalent to
    that of a much larger telescope. The star pi1 Gruis was observed with the
    PIONIER instrument, which has four combined telescopes, in Chile in 2014
    September. That study was also the first to confirm theories about the
    characteristics of granules on giant stars. The images are important,
    because the size and number of granules on the surface actually fitted very
    well with models that predict what astronomers should be seeing. The
    detailed images also showed different colours on the star's surface, which
    correspond to varying temperatures. A star does not have the same surface
    temperature throughout, and its surface provides our only clues to under-
    stand its interior. As temperatures rise and fall, the hotter, more fluid
    areas become brighter colours (whiter) and the cooler, denser areas become
    darker (redder).
    Last edited by Dreamwoven; 02-05-2018 at 08:56 AM.

http://earthsky.org/earth/methane-pu...iomass-burning

EarthSky gave published findings on methane in the atmosphere. This post is well worth reading!

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Two very interesting articles, DW. The first is concerned with the materials a giant star is made of. At this point I have the impression that each of the examined celestial bodies has a different composition.

The second about the increase of methane in the atmosphere of the earth examines the biomass burning emissions. I hope they are wrong about the ruminants as a cause of increased methane in the atmosphere.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

The EarthSky thread is particularly interesting, many don't think of EarthSky as an astronomy website, but it certainly is.

https://www.universetoday.com/138488...rich-in-water/

The search for life in the universe is clearly on, starting with a neighbouring star.

"When we finally find life somewhere out there beyond Earth, it’ll be at the end of a long search. Life probably won’t announce its presence to us, we’ll have to follow a long chain of clues to find it. Like scientists keep telling us, at the start of that chain of clues is water.

The discovery of the TRAPPIST-1 system last year generated a lot of excitement. 7 planets orbiting the star TRAPPIST-1, only 40 light years from Earth. At the time, astronomers thought at least some of them were Earth-like. But now a new study shows that some of the planets could hold more water than Earth. About 250 times more."

I've now re-read the article "Is Proxima b Habitable"? in Popular Astronomy Jan-Feb 2017 (my one year subscription). It is in the habitable zone of its star the red dwarf Proxima Centauri, so it is in the best goldilocks position for abundant water. Ultra violet radiation may be a problem but there are ways of adapting to it, living underground, in rocks or under water. On Earth there are ways for corals to contain special proteins which absorb harmful UV rays. The next generation of advanced telescopes might be able to detect such biofluorescent glows.

Proxima Centauri is the closest star to the Sun, so it will be interesting to learn what the next generation of advanced telescopes will detect.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwoven View Post
    https://www.universetoday.com/138488...rich-in-water/

The search for life in the universe is clearly on, starting with a neighbouring star.

"When we finally find life somewhere out there beyond Earth, it’ll be at the end of a long search. Life probably won’t announce its presence to us, we’ll have to follow a long chain of clues to find it. Like scientists keep telling us, at the start of that chain of clues is water.

The discovery of the TRAPPIST-1 system last year generated a lot of excitement. 7 planets orbiting the star TRAPPIST-1, only 40 light years from Earth. At the time, astronomers thought at least some of them were Earth-like. But now a new study shows that some of the planets could hold more water than Earth. About 250 times more."
    Yes. There was a comment on this article in the Brazilian news yesterday and I was going to look for it, but you were faster. Maybe the moment of finding water in another planet isn´t so far away any more.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Blog Entries
    I've now re-read the article "Is Proxima b Habitable"? in Popular Astronomy Jan-Feb 2017 (my one year subscription). It is in the habitable zone of its star the red dwarf Proxima Centauri, so it is in the best goldilocks position for abundant water. Ultra violet radiation may be a problem but there are ways of adapting to it, living underground, in rocks or under water. On Earth there are ways for corals to contain special proteins which absorb harmful UV rays. The next generation of advanced telescopes might be able to detect such biofluorescent glows.
    In fact I wonder why they haven´t found water yet. Is it indispensable only to us, creatures of the earth?

Blog Entries
    And now that:
    Humanity’s new star
    "You now have nine months to enjoy the recently launched Humanity Star — an artificial satellite designed specifically for maximum visibility from anywhere on the planet over the course of its nine-month orbit. This reflective geodesic sphere was deployed during Rocket Lab’s January 21 Electron rocket launch, which also carried three commercial satellites into space and ushered New Zealand into the growing number of nations capable of reaching Earth orbit.

The Humanity Star is a small sphere about 3 feet (1 meter) in diameter. It’s designed to reflect sunlight from its 65 panels, much like the Iridium satellites reflect light from their flat panels (called Iridium flares). But while Iridium flares are unintentional, the Humanity Star’s reflections are meant to act as a sort of interactive space art piece, with the goal of not only encouraging a sense of planetary community, but also instilling a sense of wonder about the night sky."
    http://astronomy.com/news/2018/02/humanitys-new-star

To say we want the moon has long ceased to be a methapher.

It is probably a bit premature to be finding water, all they are claiming is that Proxima b looks to be hopeful for finding water. The next generation of ground-based telescopes will be when they will start looking seriously, Spitzer and James Webb will be ready in 1990, and there are others too.

Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    And now that:
    Humanity’s new star
    "You now have nine months to enjoy the recently launched Humanity Star — an artificial satellite designed specifically for maximum visibility from anywhere on the planet over the course of its nine-month orbit. This reflective geodesic sphere was deployed during Rocket Lab’s January 21 Electron rocket launch, which also carried three commercial satellites into space and ushered New Zealand into the growing number of nations capable of reaching Earth orbit.

The Humanity Star is a small sphere about 3 feet (1 meter) in diameter. It’s designed to reflect sunlight from its 65 panels, much like the Iridium satellites reflect light from their flat panels (called Iridium flares). But while Iridium flares are unintentional, the Humanity Star’s reflections are meant to act as a sort of interactive space art piece, with the goal of not only encouraging a sense of planetary community, but also instilling a sense of wonder about the night sky."
    http://astronomy.com/news/2018/02/humanitys-new-star

To say we want the moon has long ceased to be a metaphor.
    There is a Swedish song about that, roughly it says "I want to have my own moon, where I can sit and forget about you". The Astronomy now journal comes up with some curious ideas. Who knows, it may capture a few peoples' imaginations and convert some to astronomy.

https://www.universetoday.com/138494...lar-asteroids/

I think this is quite likely, it makes sense.

Blog Entries
    There is a Swedish song about that, roughly it says "I want to have my own moon, where I can sit and forget about you". The Astronomy now journal comes up with some curious ideas. Who knows, it may capture a few peoples' imaginations and convert some to astronomy.
    "Blue Moon" by fado singer Amalia Rodrigues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qqjTtLMRPg

Blog Entries
    "It would be no exaggeration to say that the discovery of ‘Oumuamua has set off something of a revolution in astronomy. In addition to validating something astronomers have long suspected, it has also provided new opportunities for research and the testing of scientific theories (such as lithopanspermia).

In the future, with any luck, robotic missions will be dispatched to these bodies to conduct direct studies and maybe even sample return missions. What these reveal about our Universe, and maybe even the spread of life throughout, is sure to be very illuminating!"
    https://www.universetoday.com/138494...lar-asteroids/

Well, I hope they are cautious with this studies as microbes, where ever they come from, may cause a lot of harm.