Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 70 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2060656667686970717273747580120 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1950

Thread: Astronomy

Blog Entries
    Venus is too hot and that is likely the destiny of the Earth in a billion years as it gets closer to the Sun. However, one might be able to cool Venus and heat up Mars and with that knowledge regulate the temperature of the Earth. We have millions of years to figure this out.

The alternative of going to another star system seems even more unlikely than regulating the temperature of these planets near us, however, in a million years, I suspect we will know more about who is out there and perhaps make real contact with them. We may even pay them a visit.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Much earlier I think, Yes/No. Sometimes things go at a fast pace. Who would imagine something like a PC sixty years ago? And now it´s part of our every day life.

Nice to "meet you". I was working on a document inside my inbox and saw your posts on coming out. On Sunday evenings LitNet has become a desert more than ever.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Blog Entries
    Ross 128 is interesting. I hope it is aliens. At 11 light years away, I wonder how long it would take for an exploratory mission to reach that star?

Blog Entries
    "Jill Tarter has been asking the big question, “Are we alone in the universe?” since she was a child."

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2017/0...er-seti-search

Blog Entries
    Intelligent life should include plant life. They may not be sending messages to us or those messages may not have reached us yet. However, I am disappointed that something hasn't been observed by now. It is a lot like not finding dark matter. Not finding dark mater makes me suspect there isn't any. Not finding life that is sending us a signal may suggest there isn't any out there at least not in our galaxy. It may also be that our instruments are not sensitive enough to pick up the messages.

Blog Entries
    I agree with you. I suspect there may be animals, plants and even spirit worlds out of the reach of our perception and our instruments.

Blog Entries
    Astronauts on the Space Station Will See the Solar Eclipse 3 Times (Video).
    "When the Great American Solar Eclipse sweeps across the continental U.S. on Aug. 21, astronauts aboard the International Space Station (ISS) will have a chance to see it from a unique vantage point."
    https://www.space.com/37651-solar-ec...nik-video.html

Blog Entries
    I hadn't thought about the view those on the space station would have of these kinds of events.

Blog Entries
    Article about the interaction between celestial bodies. It seems that Golias is going to get the best.

"Galactic David and Goliath
    Date:
    July 27, 2017
    Source:
    ESA/Hubble Information Centre
    Summary:
    The gravitational dance between two galaxies in our local neighbourhood has led to intriguing visual features in both as witnessed in this new NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope image. The tiny NGC 1510 and its colossal neighbour NGC 1512 are at the beginning of a lengthy merger, a crucial process in galaxy evolution. Despite its diminutive size, NGC 1510 has had a significant effect on NGC 1512's structure and amount of star formation."
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0727103008.htm

Blog Entries
    "Breakthrough Starshot takes its first step toward interstellar travel

The first big step to making humans an interstellar species is underway."

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2017/08/starshot-sprites

Blog Entries
    Those Starshots sound promising using a laser to power them to 20% the speed of light. If such probes can measure gravity along the way they could be used to verify if Einstein or Moffat's gravity theory is accurate. Within the solar system the differences are apparently too small to detect.

Blog Entries
    I don´t know Moffat´s gravity theory and I have only a very faint remembrance of Einstein´s. But I think there are strong differences of gravity out there. I don´t know how they will influence those theories.

Blog Entries
    I didn't think those Starshots existed except as a wild speculation, but it looks like they are possible even if they are only small probes. Dreamwoven mentioned tiny satellites as well but I don't remember them reaching such speeds.

Blog Entries
    "With the total solar eclipse on Aug. 21 only a few weeks away, astronomers have revealed what skywatchers can expect to see as the sun disappears behind the moon."

https://www.space.com/37710-total-so...un-corona.html