Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 124 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2474114119120121122123124125126127128129 ... LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 1950

Thread: Astronomy

Blog Entries
    IMBH's: The trap-door spider of Black Holes - https://newatlas.com/intermediate-bl...rm=Read%20more

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor STATELY
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    http://earthsky.org/space/observe-bl...stroying-stars

Black holes are surely one of the most incredible phenomena in the universe. Their masses are so concentrated that their gravitational pull is powerful; nothing, not even light, can escape from inside them. We can see black holes only because material being drawn into them – such as stars that wander too close – typically form a rotating disk encircling the hole. Light and other radiation from this disk can be seen by telescopes, and there’s plenty to see. For example, fast-moving jets of material may be ejected from a disk surrounding a supermassive black hole. On June 15, 2018, NASA announced that astronomers have directly imaged the formation and expansion of a fast-moving black hole jet for the first time. Miguel Pérez-Torres, of the Astrophysical Institute of Andalucia in Granada, Spain, and an author on a new study in the peer-reviewed journal Science, described the finding:

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Great articles tS and DW. Black holes are one of the mysteries that most seem to fascinate astronomers.
    "Black holes are one of the most bizarre cosmic phenomena that we know of. The new observations show how black holes can not only suck material in, but also violently eject it as well, making them an even more compelling target of future study."
    http://earthsky.org/space/observe-bl...stroying-stars
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    An asteroid that looks like a rune:

Japan's Hayabusa2 Asteroid Probe Snaps Best Pics Yet of Its Target Ryugu

"The newest asteroid views reveal that Ryugu is a world of dramatic angles, covered with dents and craters, rotating in the opposite direction that Earth and the sun are as the object orbits. According to the newest data, the asteroid rotates fully around, perpendicular to its orbit, every 7.5 hours. [Photos: Japan's Hayabusa2 Asteroid Mission in Pictures]"
    https://www.space.com/40948-japan-ha...oid-ryugu.html
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

That post from a Japanese website provides a view of the asteroid Hayabusa2. But they must have a programme as well. Or is the article a one-off perhaps?

It would be useful to know where the asteroid is located. Hayabusa2 is obviously named after the Suzuki motorbike of the same name. But I can't find any more information on it. Hayabusa2 appears in a Wikipedia disambiguation item, but once more it says nothing about where the asteroid is! It could be in the asteroid belt: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteroid_belt. I doubt if it is further out still, where New Horizons is currently exploring after having discovered Pluto...

I mean the Kuiper Belt.

Blog Entries
    I think these article contains more details:
    "162173 Ryugu (provisional designation 1999 JU3), is an asteroid classified as a near-Earth object and as a potentially hazardous asteroid of the Apollo group. It measures nearly one kilometer in diameter and is a dark object of the rare spectral type Cg, with qualities of both a C-type asteroid and a G-type asteroid.

Ryugu is the planned target of the Japanese space probe Hayabusa2, a sample return mission launched in late 2014, and approaching the asteroid in June 2018. It is planned to return material from the asteroid to Earth by the end of 2020."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/162173_Ryugu

I never read about this Apollo group before.

Here is the link:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_asteroid
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 06-21-2018 at 09:44 AM.

https://www.space.com/40987-japan-ha...s-on-ryugu.htm

More information on this probe as it approaches rendezvous with the asteroid.

Blog Entries
    I get "Link not found" when I try to open the link above, DW!

Blog Entries
    I get "Link not found" when I try to open the link above, DW!

Hmm, now I get the same. Sorry about that. I'll try again.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, DW, this one works. Have you had a look at my links about Ryugu and Hayabusa2?

Sorry for the repetitions above. Thats not me, thats from the site. I have learned to avoid these repetition of posts but sometimes it doesn´t work.