Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 69 of 130 FirstFirst ... 1959646566676869707172737479119 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 1950

Thread: Astronomy

Blog Entries
    I like the idea of that snake robot and the focus on robotics rather than human exploration.

Blog Entries
    For the earthbound of today, to inspire the explorers of tomorrow... http://lockheedmartin.com/generation...ars-experience
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    That virtual reality bus is how humans should be experiencing Mars or other planets when robots are improved enough to do this exploration for us. They are our telescopes onto these objects.

One of the things we seem to ignore about Earth is that it has a magnetosphere. It is known that this protects us from radiation and so we need to protect ourselves against radiation in space, but it probably also provides us with our sanity; our hearts resonate with it. I am getting this idea from some research by HearthMath Institute: https://www.heartmath.org/research/featured-research/

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not so good news to those eager to move to Mars:

Mars may be more toxic to life than we thought

"Life on Mars … does it exist? Depending on when you last checked in with news about the Red Planet, you could probably be convinced either way. As we discover more and more about the composition and planetary dynamics of Mars, there has been cause for both elation and disappointment regarding the likelihood that organic life could manage to eke out a living on the planet."

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2017/0...rates-bacteria
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    I was hoping they would find life on Mars, but maybe this shows that there isn't any life there.

The Event Horizon Telescope has come up in some readings about gravitation: http://eventhorizontelescope.org/blog/eht-update One of their goals is to measure the shadow of a black hole or "grey star" as viewed by modified gravity (MOG). There are two separate predictions about the value of the measurements. This could be a way to tell if there really are black holes (points with infinite mass and event horizons) or if they are grey stars, bodies that have not collapsed to a point but are kept stable by a fifth force.

Blog Entries
    I think the point about all these experiments and speculations is to get more familiar with space and eventually find an habitable planet for us humans.

Missing DW. He hasn´t been around for some days. And he used to be a "regular".
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Blog Entries
    Tracking the birth of a 'super-earth'

"Kepler has found thousands of planets, but those are all very old, orbiting around stars a few billion years old, like our sun," he explains. "You could say we are looking at the senior citizens of our galaxy, but we don't know how they were born."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0711092823.htm

Blog Entries
    I haven't seen DW either. I suspect we have hundreds of millions of years before we would need another planet. The problem would be the earth getting too close to the sun and turning into a planet like Venus. We might be able to solve that problem as well with shielding of some sort.

Blog Entries
    All is possible, Yes/No.

"Astronomers just discovered the smallest star ever

While on the search for exoplanets, the team came across this tiny companion."
    http://www.astronomy.com/news/2017/07/tiny-new-star

Blog Entries
    A star about the size of Jupiter (but 85 times more massive) does seem small. I've heard that Jupiter could have been an early star that burnt out to make our system binary. Here's something about that from a quick search: https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...d-people-call/ Based on that article, apparently not. It is not massive enough to have once been a star.

Blog Entries
    Fascinating article Yes/No.
    "Stellar formation is a hot topic of current research, as astronomers are trying to fathom the still-mysterious details of the birth process."
    This is a topic that interests me specially because it shows how much astronomy has developed in the last years. Stellar formation will eventually lead to the discovery of an similar to earth planet. Perhaps it might also help to preview future interplanetary disasters. Anyway the universe of astronomy is expanding fastly.

Blog Entries
    The Space-Age Origins of 'Planet of the Apes'

"The famous 1968 film that kicked off the movie franchise — "Planet of the Apes," starring Charlton Heston — began with astronauts crashing into an unknown planet. A rebooted series in 2001, starring Mark Wahlberg, starts off with astronauts and apes working together, exploring space in the future."
    https://www.space.com/37476-planet-o...e-origins.html

Blog Entries
    Besides the disaster that might have happened on Mars that you mentioned earlier, Venus got too close to the sun and that triggered the greenhouse gases. I wonder how one could make Venus habitable? The reason to think of that is because Earth will get closer to the Sun than it is now and could suffer the same fate (but that is many years in the future). If we can make Venus habitable, we can keep Earth habitable for longer.

Blog Entries
    Venus is probably to hot to be habitable. But possibly they will find some new planets and one or several of them might be habitable.

Blog Entries
    Venus is probably to hot to be habitable. But possibly they will find some new planets and one or several of them might be habitable.

Planet Nine hypothesis supported by new evidence

"Last year, the existence of an unknown planet in our Solar system was announced. However, this hypothesis was subsequently called into question as biases in the observational data were detected. Now Spanish astronomers have used a novel technique to analyse the orbits of the so-called extreme trans-Neptunian objects and, once again, they point out that there is something perturbing them: a planet located at a distance between 300 to 400 times the Earth-Sun separation."
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0712110457.htm