Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 72 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2262676869707172737475767782122 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1950

Thread: Astronomy

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I haven´t read any of these space theories. My interest for astronomy comes from two sources: one is a children´s book from Brazilian author Monteiro Lobato called Viagem ao Céu(A trip to heaven) from 1932, which takes his character´s on a trip through the Astronomical heaven then known.
    The second source of inspiration is astrology, because of it´s relation to the planets of the solar system.
    A third source is this thread. I´ll have a look at Moffat. My own guess about all these speculations is that the human urge to dominate space has increased in the last decades. It reminds me very much of the theories the Europeans had about the ocean and other continent at the beginning of the period of the Great Navigations,
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    Total Solar Eclipse Aug. 21, 2017: Live Webcasts from NASA

https://www.space.com/17933-nasa-tel...-space-tv.html
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Blog Entries
    Other planets and our ability today to send probes to them give us something to do like the Great Navigation must have done. It is a challenge that did not exist in the past.

Blog Entries
    I think it is the same thirst for discoveries bound up with the impulse to dominate the unknown regions of space.

Blog Entries
    Another fascinating discovery:

Uranus and Neptune: Cloudy with a chance of diamonds

"On Earth, we experience rain composed of liquid water. On Titan, it rains liquid methane. And on Uranus and Neptune, it rains solid diamonds. For the first time, researchers have now simulated and observed this process here on Earth, proving that this long-held assumption is likely correct, once and for all."
    http://www.astronomy.com/news/2017/0...e-diamond-rain

Blog Entries
    Raining diamonds is amazing.

Blog Entries
    Some of this eclipse pictures are amazing. Enjoy yourselves:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astro...m-our-readers/

Blog Entries
    The prominences were most striking for me. I wonder what happens on the earth during that time? I have heard animals and insects behave differently, but I wonder if there is changes in the magnetosphere during that time.

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    [QUOTE=Danik 2016;1342081]Another fascinating discovery:

"On Earth, we experience rain composed of liquid water. On Titan, it rains liquid methane. And on Uranus and Neptune, it rains solid diamonds. For the first time, researchers have now simulated and observed this process here on Earth, proving that this long-held assumption is likely correct, once and for all."

I saw this, too, and yes it is amazing. I believe it was posted in earth/sky, and relates to Saturn's moon Titan, though i can't find the link.

I think the link is from a total eclipse from USA, refers to the moment when a diamond ring phenomenon is created.

Blog Entries
    Welcome back Dreamwoven! I thought that diamond ring was what the sunlight looked like around the moon just prior to the totality of an solar eclipse.

I heard somewhere during commentaries on the eclipse that being able to see a total solar eclipse may be rare in the universe, although what that probability is can't be determined at the moment. It requires having a moon large enough to block out the sun completely.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Dreamwoven;1342232]
    Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    Another fascinating discovery:

I saw this, too, and yes it is amazing. I believe it was posted in earth/sky, and relates to Saturn's moon Titan, though i can't find the link.
    I didn´t find the link you mentioned either, but found this older article about Titan, that´s interesting too:

"More life keys in Titan’s atmosphere

A short synopsis of two announcements of new discoveries of organic molecules in the thick atmosphere of Saturn’s moon Titan."

Danik, can you provide the link to the Titan article. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    Welcome back Dreamwoven! I thought that diamond ring was what the sunlight looked like around the moon just prior to the totality of an solar eclipse.

I heard somewhere during commentaries on the eclipse that being able to see a total solar eclipse may be rare in the universe, although what that probability is can't be determined at the moment. It requires having a moon large enough to block out the sun completely.
    Thanks, YesNo, I'm glad to be back. Yes that is my understanding, too. It just so happens that the moon is precisely the right size to create the diamond ring effect, as you say, just prior to a total eclipse.

Blog Entries
    Sorry, people. I forgot to provide the link.
    Here you are:

http://earthsky.org/space/saturn-moo...ules-discovery