Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 71 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2161666768697071727374757681121 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1950

Thread: Astronomy

Blog Entries
    The Sun's magnetic field looks interesting. It is at this time the Moon is new unlike now when it is almost full. During a full Moon, the Moon crosses the Earth's "magnetotail" for about six days. The other time it is not in the magnetosphere. It makes me think that there might be a justification for the belief that during a full Moon some people get a bit loony.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think the word lunatic comes from "luna"(moon). Here in Brasil there is also a legend according to which the werewolf assumes his wolf form on full moon nights.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    Yes, it does come from the Latin for moon. It is at the full moon when it flares it. It occurred to me a justification for such a view would be a magnetic one with the Moon passing through the Earth's magnetosphere (or magnetotail as it is called) for six days around the full Moon. I think it has been shown that we and other animals are affected by the magnetosphere. The moon disturbs that by passing through it.

Blog Entries
    Interesting simulationS of the magnetic field of the sun:

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard...e-magnetic-sun
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Blog Entries
    Nice video of the magnetic aspects of the sun.

Blog Entries
    Storms seem to be different on Neptun:

http://www.sci-news.com/astronomy/ne...tem-05108.html

Blog Entries
    Is this the first picture of an eclipse?
    Professors found a petroglyph of a total solar eclipse in New Mexico.

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2017/0...pse-petroglyph

Blog Entries
    It is interesting that less carbon-14 means more sunspots. I didn't know there was a connection between them.

Blog Entries
    Neither did I.

A new hot Neptune may be a massive water world
    HAT-P-26b is a steamy, steamy world.
    http://www.astronomy.com/news/2017/0...may-host-water

I was thinking of the Narrator in FREI´s story, who identifies himself with Neptune.
    But calling a new found planet HAT-P-26b is absolutely anticlimatic.

Blog Entries
    The "hot ice" mentioned in that article is interesting. I didn't know water could be hot and solid at the same time.

Blog Entries
    Neither did I. I think these space discoveries are challenging the laws of Physics and Chemistry we learned back in the 20 C.

Blog Entries
    System of super-Earths discovered around a nearby star

A new study suggests that the system has at least four planets, and two of them orbit on the edge of their habitable zones — the region where liquid surface water might exist. All four are likely super-Earths, and some could potentially even be as big as Neptune.

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2017/0...-a-nearby-star

Blog Entries
    Apparently there is another technique, "radial velocity method", rather than transits of the planet across the star to find exoplanets. All of this makes me think that we haven't found alien life yet because we haven't got enough precision in our measurements. We don't even know all the planets around our sun assuming there is a Planet X out there.

Blog Entries
    Your scientific perspective is very valuable because it makes you notice aspects that escape those like myself who have not studied higher Maths or Physic.
    As things are developing, it seems there might not only be a planet "X" somewhere in reach of us but also planets "Y", "Z"...

These discoveries surely lead to a revision of the parameters of measurement and evaluation. When I read these articles I get the feeling that the known part of the universe is expanding while the earth and the known part of the solar system are getting smaller and smaller.

Blog Entries
    I can follow the math but the physics and chemistry are more mysterious. I have to take the word of survey articles assuming they convince him that they are on the right track. Many of them aren't. One of the things I like about Moffat is that he is empirical. When he is shown wrong he changes his speculations. For example he didn't think there was a Higg's boson, but acknowledged it once found. His theoretical physics is falsifiable although it may be difficult to set up the experiments. Some speculations I've read do not appear to be so, such as, speculations about "many worlds", "string theory", "landscapes", "artificial intelligence" or the "anthropic principle". The question underlying these speculations is not physics but why are people even coming up with these ideas? What is the cultural driver? Jonathan Haidt seems to suggest it is "rationalism" which had its root around Hume's time (although Hume was opposed to it) and may be ending as a culturally accepted belief today.

Regarding Planet X, Y or Z, it is good for people to realize that scientists don't know as much as the media suggests they do. We need more empirical evidence. I like the idea of those tiny space probes that can be accelerated rapidly.