Thread: A World Without Privacy

A World Without Privacy

In a world such as the one created in George Orwell's novel, 1984, people are stripped away of one of their many, normally essential, human rights.

Privacy.

Something we take for granted, privacy is a luxury that people like Winston cannot afford to have. With danger lurking around every corner, this novel's protagonist is forced to hide himself, to do simple things such as write in a diary. What kind of world must that be, although only fictional, that you have no right to have your own opinions or thoughts? And with the amount of forecasting this novel gives, is this idea of complete openness so far-fetched? In our near future, maybe our rights will be taken away, leaving us as complete slaves to society.

The security cameras you see everywhere, should do anything but make you feel secure. After all, it could be Big Brother watching you. And who knows, maybe it will be your door that the Thought Police knock on next.

It's far more scarier than Big Brother - it's the marketers.
    A just conception of life is too large a thing to grasp during the short interval of passing through it.
    Thomas Hardy

an interesting read.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Thanks, like your poem btw. It fly, man. it fly.

You say life without privacy is horrible, but Is it really? Privacy comes with many added responsibilities, and at times we would all be better off with out those added responsibilities. Just my personal thoughts.

MSoccer22, I understand where you are coming from, but privacy is something we all desire, whether we mean to or not. Sure it comes with responsibility, but honestly, it's worth it.

But I could be wrong. I mean, maybe you do like someone watching your every move at every waking moment of the day.

I agree with Theatricality on this issue. The responsibilities described by MSoccer22 that go along with privacy are extremely necessary.
    First, what responsibilities are being referred to exactly? The biggest issue I can think of, that would accompany having privacy, is just having to take care of yourself, (like basic human necessities that everyone that is not a toddler should be practicing anyway).
    Second, it may just be my own personal opinion, but a life without responsibilities would be nothing short of boring. Sure, it may seem at first that a person has the opportunity to do whatever he or she pleased. But, without failure, it would soon be revealed that this person's life contains no meaning, almost useless. If you are only living for yourself, then you lack the satisfaction acquired from helping another or even accomplishing personal goals.
    Third, MSoccer22 states that we would only be better off without the added responsibilities "at times". By this, are you saying that you are willing to give up every aspect of a private life you have now in order to escape a few "added responsibilities"?
    As Theatricality originally stated, we take the privacy we have for granted. By taking away the private moments in our lives, such as in 1984, we are left to walk on eggshells at all times. This would prevent us from ever being comfortable enough in our own skin to live a happy and fulfilling life.

Exactly, MrSalad. I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Giving up on privacy just because of the responsibilities that come with it is just what the political parties of the novel want from the people. This is plainly stated in the policies of the INGSOC, specifically the one about freedom being the same as slavery. Those in power wanted to convince the general populous, such as the proles, that privacy, and all these freedoms that people see as "Human Rights" in the real world are too much of a burden for the poor shoulders of the laboring class. If greater masses of the community believe that these responsibilities should be given to the government, they are giving the control of all of such decisions and freedoms that come with the responsibility. Those people have just put their lives in the hands of the government who has no consideration of who they are, and what they want to do with your lives. Those people have just given the government all the right in the world to exploit and use them in any way it wants. This is all fine and dandy though, because now people won't have to worry about those troublesome responsibilities, and they have now stripped themselves of the freedom to live their life as they choose.

fight the power guys fight the power

Quote Originally Posted by 108 fountains View Post
    It's far more scarier than Big Brother - it's the marketers.
    Now that you mention it, it is much scarier to be watched by marketers than it is the government; because automated marketers can (and do) track your internet search history to decide what you want to buy and then they advertise it to you on sites that you frequently go on.

In other words, they (automated advertisement bots) constantly bombard you with ads, and there is no escape.

Post Current times

I feel as though we are in a sense living in a world without privacy. When you go to a public place for myself the first thing i notice when I walk in are the video cameras everywhere or the signs that say video service in use.