Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Literature Network Veterans' Club

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    By popular demand...

Here is a thread to reminiscence and remember "the good old days" of the Forum.

I have now been a member on the Forum for more than 10 years.

During my time on here:

- Made invaluable contributions to the Forums 23,439 times (averaging 6.36 posts a day)

- Read over 400 books

- Finished my second degree (a BSc this time)

- Completed two MAs

- Changed my job twice

- Changed my residential address once

- Increased world population by one

- Lost a parent and five family members whom I miss very much

- Donated my hair twice (third time in June '15, hopefully)

- Made friends with many interesting people

- Met Jay, Papaya and Logos

- Banned more people than I care to acknowledge

- Gained about 10lbs (a pound a year does not sound too bad until one looks at the total). My height and shoe size remained the same.

Let's hear your story!

-
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    By popular demand...

Here is a thread to reminiscence and remember "the good old days" of the Forum.
    Oh yeah, I'll play!

Member for 7.5 years and still here every now and then.

A mere 4000 posts, about evenly split between Orwell, The Blokes' Thread, and everything else.

7 years? I'm going to go with about 350 books read in that time. Written two, plus numerous published articles.

No degrees, although I did have a fever a couple of years ago.

Still in the same job - owner of recruitment/HR consulting company.

Moved residence about 300 metres to a bigger house, having increased the population also by 1 in that time.

My two best mates died.

Lost plenty of hair and have donated none.

Have not been banned.

Lost 25 kg.

Opened two new businesses.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

Blog Entries
    Good idea.

I've been a member for 5 years since 2009.

I've made 6,000 plus posts and 36 blog entries. My posts have been on a range of topics including religion, literature and the Cold Ale Blokes thread. I have had numerous arguments and discussions, particularly on the religion thread. The most fun has definitely been The Cold Ale thread, whilst the literature threads have been most informative.

I have completed 2 December poetry challenges writing a poem a day for the month.

I've been promoted and changed my management team from English to Maths in that time after retraining. My office has changed three times, and I'm now in a smaller venue which is quieter. I have completed a L5 teaching course for maths.

My son has been to and returned from his University whilst my daughter has just gone.

I now tend to post using my Kindle Fire HD or my smartphone, though I do still sit at the laptop sometimes.

The old Auntie has passed away, as have a number of my peers who stayed on in my birthplace and kept drinking.

I read about 25 to 30 books a year depending upon length, and so I may have read 250 whilst being a member.

Last November I met Prendrelmick in Huddersfield, Yorkshire before the Rugby League World Cup Game England v Ireland, where we had a brief, but pleasant chat in a very busy and noisy pub.
    Last edited by Paulclem; 10-30-2014 at 08:09 PM.

Oh my. I've been here since February 2004. I was looking for something fun to read and wanted to join a book club.

Since that time:

I've moved from Michigan to Kansas to Louisiana.

I've worked at three different companies and held 5 different positions.

I've read 158 books.

I've started Grad school.

I lost my favorite Uncle and a cousin but gained a cousin and aunt that I previously had no contact with.

I've had three cars.

I've skyped with Niamh and Night.

I've shopped for shoes and handbags with Scher.

I sailed on a pirate ship with Stannie, Jay, Scher, Night, Basil, Mono, and a few more who's avatars I can picture but can't think of their names.

I've fallen in love...then back out.

I've pondered great philosophical debates such as :Legos or play mobile, Ninjas or Robot monkeys, and Coke vs. Pepsi

I helped count to 10,000.
    Last edited by papayahed; 10-30-2014 at 08:09 PM.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Member since 2009 with 1,807 posts.

In that time I’ve worked in; Qatar, Papua New Guinea, Philippines and Japan.

Retired at the age of 70, brought a new oven and seemed to spend most of my 3 months retirement working my way through a large collection of cookery books.

Went back to work and am now in Yokohama. The end of ambition came as a great relief.

Made my first million and now into the second, despite spending inordinate amounts of money on; antiques, expensive hotels and the opposite sex.

I’ve always got something on the boil with regards to writing; and checking back over this period I’ve read mainly from; Stendhal, Shelley, Chandler, Dostoevsky, Gogol and Gide.

Had my gall bladder removed in the Middle East, but have retained a head of white hair and a beard that would have done Moses proud.

Lost quite a few close friends and a mother aged 98.

Went from 18 stone 7lbs to 17stone 10lbs when in the UK, but would be frightened to get on the scales now, having cut down on the exercise and increased my food and alcohol intake.

Two daughter, one of whom has given me my first grandson, whilst the second one is getting her act together and is the manageress of a lap dancing club in London ( I kid you not.)

I’ve been tempted on a number of occasions to go on the attack on Lit Net where I disagree strongly with what has been contributed, but then it would likely have got me banned and cut me off from what, over the years has been a most enjoyable association

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    Joined in June 2009 following a period of watching from the wings. I question my “veteran” status as compared to much longer tenure of so many others.

A few Litnet highlights:

My reading journey began the day I opened a soldier’s WW I footlocker found in a 19th century barn, inside was a treasure of novels and poetry. My grandfather left behind the likes of Oliver Goldsmith, Walter Scott, Poe, Cicero, Shakespeare and Victor Hugo. In fact, my avatar is a photo of an engraving found inside his 19th century copy of Hugo’s Toilers of the Sea.

I penned the satirical epic The Manufacture of a Texas Sonata poking some good natured fun at a member who many of the veterans will recall held some interesting notions about Mozart, chemtrails, earth centered universe and the like. Those were good times and I have to admit, I miss the guy.

Produced, co wrote and directed two Cold Ale Blokes Christmas plays; She Stomps to Conquer and Promenade and the Allotment Gnome.
    A great deal of credit goes to the Blokes and their poetic talents.
    Ahh, those opening nights bring back fond memories.

Made a few attempts at poetry including the masterful Sub Urbane Symphony in four movements.

The odd couple Ben and Franklin join us each Thanksgiving, except for last year and possibly this year, as they are finding it difficult to leave Chartres. Who could blame them?

Books read since I joined? Not really sure, I would guess about 25 to 30.

Other than being a class clown for the most part, serving up a large dose of nonsense, I am humbled at the knowledge of so many here regarding literature and I’ll throw in art with a nod to St. Lukes. Being a green horn, lacking the gift of gab, I’m not able to offer much toward a serious discussion of literature, but I do follow along avidly.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

Well, I suppose I'm a bona fide member of the LOFA (Litnet Old Fart's Association)

Looks like I made my first post more than ten years ago, which was back in the good old days, back when I was still a member of the NPA ( Newbie's Protection Association).

Anyway, I still read more here than I write

Some of the conversations have been splendid

Some have been horrid. (Which may be why Scher has been so busy banning folks)

Good job, Scher. You've helped make the Litnet a troll-free zone. Some of us literature lovers are sensitive

Speaking of Scher, back in the good ole NPA days she recommended that I read 1001Arabian Nights. So I did. Wonderful stories

Thanks, Scher

I prefer to look forward not backward, but what the hey, here goes:

Lost a few dogs/cats/horses

Got some new ones

Lost a few friends

Made some new ones

Lost a few family members

Did not make any new ones, (but my sister did).

By the way, I joined this this club shortly after my mother died. She was a high school English teacher. She and I were the book lovers in the family. We'd talk about books for hours. After she was gone I got to looking around for someone to discuss books with, and that's how I found you-all.

So thanks, you-all

Same wife

New house

Same weight, more or less

Full head-o-hair, some of it gray now, but not much. I've got good hair genes

Same regular job

I did however retire from my weekend job - The National Guard

And after almost 30 years of putzing around (and not doing anybody any good) on active duty, the guard, and the reserves, I'm happy to say that I never had to point a weapon at anybody and pull the trigger.

Thank God

And I'm not religious
    Uhhhh...

Joined Litnet in November 2008. Exactly 6 years ago. Time really flies by.

I bet now you've been waiting with bated breath to hear my story.
    Alright then, here it goes!

During my time on Litnet I’ve read various books, got introduced to many writers, contributed with some valuable posts, made friends and needless to say performed many miracles.

Lost a job, found another. It's quite demanding because I had to stay out of town and away from family.

Lost a few family members and a couple of pets.

Bought a pair of ducks, Battkhi and Battkha. Both are sweet, but I particularly like Battkha, he's a gentleman and never loses his temper.

Sought new friends and made many adventurous trips within my country.

My dark brown hair hasn't turned grey, but I've lost some weight though.

Gained immense wisdom and knowledge, but sadly odds are against my fellow Litnetters, as I don't find much time to contribute these days.

Met lots of sensible folks here who still take time and read my posts. I've 2,399 posts scattered around Litnet (in case you're interested).

Blog Entries
    I joined just after you Snowqueen. I'm in stalking mode at the moment - watching from the shadows - mainly because my Dad died this year and I lost some enthusiasm. Otherwise I've gained some aches and pains, lost some brain cells and hair follicles, My family has increased by 3 Grandchildren and a dozen or so great nieces and nephews.

My greatest (only) Lit net triumph was a Richard III thread I started that went wonderfully strange and off subject.

I can be found propping up the bar at the Cold Ale Club.

Lit net is the best forum. Here people argue without using insults and can agree to disagree - I like that.
    Last edited by prendrelemick; 11-10-2014 at 04:33 AM.
    ay up

Short timer at 4 years. As mick said, in lurk mode.

One time, worked a fart joke into the 'Let's write a story' game; probably greatest achievement.

Have not been banned by Scher.

Something of a poltergeist in the creative writing forums. If any small objects look like they've been moved 2cm to the left...

J

Blog Entries
    I feel guilty that I hardly post lately.

I've only been a member for 5 years.

Since joining, I've gained more weight than I'd care to admit.

Met my significant other.

Completed a BA and MA.

Worked 4-5 different jobs, currently teaching English literature at a college.

Haven't met anyone from the forums, but have enjoyed many discussions over the years.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Blog Entries
    Don't feel guilty Pip.

Okay, I've been a member for 7 years, though it's often felt longer.

Since I've become a member of Lit-net,

I still remember OrphanPip's first name.

I became a procrastinator, so I'll do this later,

but I also developed time travel, so I can do it now.

I learned how to whistle, a little more than a year ago.

I read Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship, and some poetry.

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Jeez, I've been here less than four years, but:

- I've read 150 books of fiction (and never - yes never(!), read fiction prior to joining Litnet. I had read loads of non-fiction, though). So that's quite a turn in the road

- Been published quite a bit for poetry and short fiction (which I have to give Litnet almost complete credit for!).

- Gotten back into photography (which ties in with literature, as it is spawned from my creative side)

Litnet re-opened a part of me that lay dormant to quite a while.

I am now trying to remember how I stumbled onto Litnet.....oh yes, I remember! I was googling "Catcher in the Rye" and stumbled on a discussion thread!!
    Last edited by tonywalt; 12-04-2014 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by prendrelemick View Post
    I joined just after you Snowqueen. I'm in stalking mode at the moment - watching from the shadows - mainly because my Dad died this year and I lost some enthusiasm...

I'm really sorry for your loss, prendrelemick. A loved ones passing is never easy.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    This thread makes me really nostalgic (not to mention feel old)... Only Papaya and Sancho were already here when I joined but I am very glad that you are all here now!
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast