Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I use “are” or “is” ?

Blog Entries

Should I use “are” or “is” ?

Here is the entire section:

Why do women always blame men for hunting down one woman after another? It is not our fault. We can’t help it. It’s a simple and strong instinct given to us by Mother Nature. And not even the most radical religions are able to control this strong instinct in men. Or women for that matter, but it is usually the male sexuality women and the society are focused on.

Here is my question. Should I use “are” or “is” in the following sentence?

1. option

Or women for that matter, but it is usually the male sexuality women and the society are focused on.

2. option

Or women for that matter, but it are usually the male sexuality women and the society is focused on.

I fell strongest for the 1. option, but Word spell check wants me to use the 2. option???
    Atheism is mother beautiful

You are right that 'are' is the correct version. 'women and the society' is the subject of the sentence. I suppose that Word spell corrected it, because you have given the object of the sentence before the subject, so Word spell treats 'the male sexuality' as if it were the subject.
    Last edited by Aylinn; 10-21-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tuboludo View Post
    Here is the entire section:

Or women for that matter, but it are usually the male sexuality women and the society is focused on.

I fell strongest for the 1. option, but Word spell check wants me to use the 2. option???
    Never plural verb comes after it. ( It are !) is wrong
    personal pronouns : she- he ( singular) they ( plural) subject ---them ( plural) object
    it an impersonal pronoun ( singular) they ( plural)
    My country is the Home of Honour And
    Without honour I haven't Home
    MMA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohammad Ahmad View Post
    Never plural verb comes after it. ( It are !) is wrong
    personal pronouns : she- he ( singular) they ( plural) subject ---them ( plural) object
    it an impersonal pronoun ( singular) they ( plural)
    So which sentence is the correct one? No.1 or No. 2 (little confused here - Aylinn says senteces no. 2 is the correct one???!!!

Blog Entries
    Sorry. Aylinn says that the original 1. option is correct.

But why does Word pick up on this????

Blog Entries
    Nobody says 'but it are'. The question is whether to use 'are' or 'is' before focused. In this respect you can probably use either. I would use 'are' since the sentence is preceded with 'but it is'. I would also drop 'the' from society to increase the sentence flow.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Closed
    So which sentence is the correct one? No.1 or No. 2 (little confused here - Aylinn says senteces no. 2 is the correct one???!!!
    Option one are definitely the way to go.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    Option one are definitely the way to go.
    Ha ha
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Hi tuboludo,
    Option two is correct. You actually have two places in the sentence where the verb is/are appears, and I think some commenters were confused by that.
    In the first part of the sentence, "it is" is correct.
    In the second part of the sentence, "women and society are" is correct.
    I would suggest re-writing the sentence anyway as, "Or women for that matter, but women and society usually focus on male sexuality."
    A just conception of life is too large a thing to grasp during the short interval of passing through it.
    Thomas Hardy

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys (and girls) for improving my English *Thumbs up*

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 108 fountains View Post
    "Or women for that matter, but women and society usually focus on male sexuality."
    Hi 108 fountains. Thanks for helping me ... Again

I am gonna go with your suggestion of re-writing the sentence. However, would it be one word too many if I put in a "the": "...on the male sexuality." ???

Blog Entries
    1. option

Or women for that matter, but it is usually the male sexuality women and the society are focused on. ( this one is correct) woman and the society = plural

2. option

(Male sexuality ) is in the position of a ( object) because both woman and society are focused on (male sexuality) so (women and society) is a subject thus (using are) is correct
    To get rid from confusion here it needs to put a comma: but it is usually, the male sexuality, women and the society are focused on..( this matter)
    (Is) also is correct if we consider women and society having one effect concentrating upon the matter
    As I consider on the context again I point out that the writer wants to focus on a human instinct to find a cause why male hunting down a woman after a woman, so he used the pronoun ( it).. "It’s a simple and strong instinct given to us by Mother" Nature
    Last edited by Mohammad Ahmad; 10-22-2014 at 05:52 AM.
    MMA

Blog Entries
    The subject of the sentence is sexuality, a singular noun, therefore, for verb agreement, "is" should be used. The way the piece is structured, the comma after "matter" should be a full stop. You could also delimit this clause with a comma at the end of the previous sentence.

However, the best way to write the paragraph is as follows, omitting some of the definite articles, which are unnecessary.

"Why do women always blame men for hunting down one woman after another? It is not our fault. We can’t help it. It’s a simple and strong instinct given to us by Mother Nature. Not even the most radical religions are able to control this strong instinct in men. Or women, for that matter. But, it is usually upon male sexuality that women and society focus." You could also say: "But, it is usually male sexuality upon which women and society focus."

Exemplary, and grammatically correct. However, to the modern ear, it sounds stilted. There is the old argument about ending sentences with a preposition, in this case, "on." These days, you can probably get away with it. Thus: But, it is usually male sexuality that women and society focus on."

The answer to your other question, about word's grammar checker, is that it's because it's a difference engine keying off particular words or phrases in a sentence. It is not actually reading what you have written with any sense of comprehension. It merely identifies certain combinations of key words and their order. It identifies "women" as a plural noun and misidentifies women as the subject of the sentence. This is because you have separated the sentence into clauses with a comma, instead of starting a new one after a full stop, as I suggested you should.

Live and be well - H
    Last edited by Hawkman; 10-22-2014 at 06:36 AM.

Blog Entries
    Yes it can be if you rewriting the paragraph for a new one, but the asker didn't need that, he determined it to be as his options 1,2
    Hawkman said that the subject of the sentences is sexuality! what is about its presiding noun the "Male"?
    The ( male sexuality) is a phrase
    Please anyone to examine the sentence carefully and ask himself which one is focusing on another?
    Is it the male sexuality focusing on women and society or women and society focused on male sexuality?
    Now I think from the context the women and society are focused on male sexuality, i.e. they concentrate upon it.
    The sentence here is opaque and it has much confutation.
    Leaving proposition alone at the end of the sentence like this one will make confutation and one will ask himself for what women and society are focused on?
    The sentence itself is incorrect or incomplete

(but it is usually the male sexuality women and the society are focused on!)

If we say: But it is usually that both women and society are focused on a male sexuality.here there is no confusion and both subject and object are clear ( women and society =( S )subject are focused ( V) male sexuality = (O) object
    Here it can be not passive since Focused is adjective
    Furthermore, all the clause ( but it is usually both women and society) we can consider it as a subject.

Confused on what? this point is perplexing
    I know the sentence order in English is ( SVO, SVC) but really I am confused on this sentence
    Last edited by Mohammad Ahmad; 10-22-2014 at 11:44 AM.
    MMA

Blog Entries
    delete
    Last edited by Hawkman; 10-22-2014 at 10:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast