Thread: Death's Hunter: Place of Business

Death's Hunter: Place of Business

Journal of Ichabod Van Helsing

18th Day of October, In the Year of Our Lord, 1721

London reeks of death. There’s been an infestation in the poorer tenements, and I’ve been assigned to eradicate the foul creatures picking on the scraps of an unequal class system. Last night I exited a bagnio masquerading as a ginhouse. After some inquiry, I had located the hive—an abandoned set of lodgings not far from the pub I‘d so surreptitiously interrogated.

Before I bade farewell to the informative publican, a bawd groped beneath my cloak. “Interest you in a bit of fun?” she cooed. “Looks like you need it.”

“I’m afraid I’ve business to conduct.”

“So late in the eve?” Her tippler’s breath invaded my nasals. “Man like you could do naught by lie there. I’ll take care of the rest.”

“Apologies, miss, but I was just about to take my…”

She suddenly lunged for jugular. Taken off-guard, I threw up my arms in attempt to shrug her off, tripping over a barstool as I fell back, tricorne flying from pate. She screeched, a Gorgon with snapping jaws intent on either ending me or entering me into her undead coven.

As I fought her off, straining to free an arm for the shortsword at my belt, other bewildered patrons tried to pry her away. These poor sots regretted their effort, for her hands became scythe-talons, shredding faces and eyeballs. Now rugged rogues and rakes screamed in terror, taking on an effeminate tinge akin to their trull counterparts. But the distraction worked.

I pulled my small hangar, while she suckled on the poor tapman, crimson spreading down his neck in prodigious rivulets. The ring of blade exiting sheath caught her focus, and a hideous visage met my gaze. She flew from behind the bar like a bat from a cave in early twilight. I readied myself by flipping over a blood-spattered table, using it as a sort of shield. She hit the oak with a loud thud, roaring and clawing in frustration.

I spun around and stabbed. She launched an inhuman cry like a dying daemon. Her arm flew, crashing into my skull, and I hit the grimy floor, dazed. I cursed, realizing my thrust had missed that pulsing, weak spot within the chest cavity. She laughed something insidious as she pulled the sword from her body. This was one lady of the night not to be trifled with.

She came at me yet again, and I used my pocket flintlock, loaded with silver ball, and popped a shot which I knew would only slow her down.

“You know that silver is not as potent on us, Hunter,” she said, still wincing from its sting in her torso. “You shouldn’t have come here. This is a place of lust… and death.”

She pounced atop me. Pulling the poniard hidden in my boot, I found its rightful home, piercing heart. She stepped back in shock, then howled and wailed, making the rafters quake above.

“I will be paying a visit to your foul friends, as well,” I said as I stood up.

Scarlet refuse purged from her mouth before she fell limp.

Tomorrow, well-rested, I plan to visit the dilapidated apartments they call their home, with stakes and resolve sharpened.
    Last edited by Igor, Froderick; 10-19-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    I’m actually getting quite attracted to your way of writing. The tales of Ichabod Van Helsing remind me somehow of the Flashman series. I especially liked the “bawd groped beneath my cloak,” and his English response, akin “no sex please, we are British.”

A few items I’m confused about, but always open to being enlightened upon:

1. “Bagnio”. What is it?
    2. “tricorne flying from pate.” I’m presuming this is a three cornered hat dislodged from his head.
    3. “These poor sots.” Are we referring to poor sods or drunks?
    4. “Pulling the poniard hidden in my boot.” Is this a dirk or small dagger?
    5. “taking on an effeminate tinge akin to their trull counterparts.” Is “trull” referring to their living dead status?

Others I quite enjoyed as a unique usage of words:

• “the pub I‘d so surreptitiously interrogated.”
    • “Her tippler’s breath invaded my nasals.”
    • “I pulled my small hangar, while she suckled on the poor tapman.”
    • “She laughed something insidious as she pulled the sword from her body. This was one lady of the night not to be trifled with.” I think I might have met her in Papua New Guinea when I was stationed there last year.
    • “Scarlet refuse purged from her mouth.”

As you appear to be fascinated by this period of English history and the words in usage at the time, you might be interested in some of the following extracts from Shakespeare.

I found you as a morsel,
    Cold upon dead Caesar’s trencher.

His youthful hose well saved a world too wide,
    For his shrunk shank;

Cut off even in the blossoms of my sin,
    Unhouseled, disappointed, unaneled,
    No reckoning made, but sent to my account,
    With all my imperfections on my head.

When he himself might his quietus make
    With a bare bodkin? Who would fardels bear,
    To grunt and sweat under a weary life,

Let the galled jade wince, our withers are unwrung.
    Lay not that flattering unction to your soul.

Another lean unwashed artificer.

Best regards
    M.

I've read a little bit of Flashman, which I heartily enjoyed. Also, I very much enjoyed a Sharpe's novel a few years back. I think it definitely had influence.

You are right. I'm enamored with 18th century Britain and the language of the time, in large part due to David Liss's Benjamin Weaver novels.

Thank you for the Shakespeare. What a legend he was and is. His use of language is timeless. Also, thank you for the continued encouragement!

Oops forgot to say that bagnio was a term for brothel, poniard a dagger, and trull a prostitute. Hope this helps!