Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Victory

Errr.. I think the quote system got messed up... But thanks for the list! I have only read (your) 2,4 & 9, and of the three your 9 is my #1.
    Follow that if you can!

Closed
    Oh have you been plagiarizing Emil again? I'll see if I can fix it (he's got a scary lawyer).

Meanwhile, you've got to drop everything and read The Third Man. It's just a novella--you can read it in an afternoon. You need to read the rest of them, too, but give yourself that pleasure now.

I'll see if I can fix the quotes.

Edit: Done. It's important to keep the machines from thinking for themselves.

WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW--TURN BACK IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE THIRD MAN!
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 12-17-2014 at 04:25 PM.

[QUOTE=easy75;1277132]
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    I don't want to hijack this thread but if you haven't seen the original film version of Brighton Rock,
    here's Richard Attenborough as Pinkie Brown. The most perfect screen match to a novel's character imaginable.

Nice! I have never read the book or seen the movie. I'll have to move the book up my list to be read. Isn't it rare and fantastic when they get the casting perfect? He looks like an entertaining character.
    We did Brighton Rock at school. As good as Richard Attenborough was, I have often thought it was a shame that Tim Roth did not play the part when he was young. See what he was like :
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    Oh have you been plagiarizing Emil again? I'll see if I can fix it (he's got a scary lawyer).

Meanwhile, you've got to drop everything and read The Third Man. It's just a novella--you can read it in an afternoon. You need to read the rest of them, too, but give yourself that pleasure now.

From the The Third Man novella emerged one of the the most celebrated post-war films that still retains its magic.

This is the scene where the British military and Austrian police are waiting for the much hunted Harry Lime to walk into a trap.
    The atmosphere of a bomb-damaged Vienna is brilliantly captured in Robert Krasker's superb photography and Carol Reed's inspired direction.

http://youtu.be/7U_2AWPm4IE

[QUOTE=kev67;1277199]
    Quote Originally Posted by easy75 View Post

We did Brighton Rock at school. As good as Richard Attenborough was, I have often thought it was a shame that Tim Roth did not play the part when he was young. See what he was like :
    I'm afraid this is very much the opposite of what Greene wrote. Pinkie Brown is a youth in a man's world but he doesn't need to show-off in order to impress and he is never so threatening as when he is silently planning his next move. He is certainly viscious but also calculating and cunning and Attenborough gives a chilling performance that chimes perfectly with the novel.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Quote Originally Posted by kev67 View Post

I'm afraid this is very much the opposite of what Greene wrote. Pinkie Brown is a youth in a man's world but he doesn't need to show-off in order to impress and he is never so threatening as when he is silently planning his next move. He is certainly viscious but also calculating and cunning and Attenborough gives a chilling performance that chimes perfectly with the novel.
    Yes, but he resembles the physical description better and does cold and intense very well.
    Last edited by kev67; 12-17-2014 at 07:13 PM.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post

That is a recommendation that is hard to resist. I see it is available on Kindle so I will get to it.
    When I finish I'll start a new thread so as not to annoy Mr. Conrad.

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by 753c View Post
    That is a recommendation that is hard to resist. I see it is available on Kindle so I will get to it.
    When I finish I'll start a new thread so as not to annoy Mr. Conrad.
    I hope you enjoy it. Don't go back and read the above posts until you are finished with it, though, because there is a genuine spoiler that really would spoil the book for you. As it is, there's a chance that you may not be infected.

Emil, you posted, it and Kev, you replicated it in a quote. Is it possible for you to go back and edit them out?

And 753C: Yes, getting Conrad mad sounds rough. Time for a new thread.

Closed
    The atmosphere of a bomb-damaged Vienna is brilliantly captured in Robert Krasker's superb photography and Carol Reed's inspired direction.
    Yes, and filmed early enough that it is actually bomb-damaged Vienna one is looking at. It's a little unnerving.

Pinkie Brown is a youth in a man's world but he doesn't need to show-off in order to impress and he is never so threatening as when he is silently planning his next move. He is certainly viscious but also calculating and cunning and Attenborough gives a chilling performance that chimes perfectly with the novel.
    As I said, Pinkie is about midway between Dickens' Artful Dodger and Burgess's Alex the droog (from A Clockwork Orange). The Dodger is a boy in a man's clothes. He's ruthless if he needs to be, but he's not cruel. Alex is a narcissistic teenage rapist and murderer. Pinkie is neither one of those, exactly, but he is a disturbed, vicious, and extremely dangerous kid who's a bit confused about how to act in the man's world that he's slashed his way into. He's one of Greene's most troubling characters and one of his best.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 12-17-2014 at 11:27 PM.

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    I used to be part of a parish which had a silent retreat twice a year for those who wanted to go on it. The Rector would read out a book during the silent meals. Normally this is book of obvious Christian intent. One year he chose to read Travels with My Aunt. It was a hoot and it has always remained my favourite Graham Greene. ("No. He died on his travels.")
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanB View Post
    I used to be part of a parish which had a silent retreat twice a year for those who wanted to go on it. The Rector would read out a book during the silent meals. Normally this is book of obvious Christian intent. One year he chose to read Travels with My Aunt. It was a hoot and it has always remained my favourite Graham Greene. ("No. He died on his travels.")
    Well, not obvious Christian intent with that one, but Greene was a religious writer (even when he wasn't making a big to-do about it), so I can understand the Rector's choice. It does sound like an inspired one.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 12-17-2014 at 11:28 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12