Thread: Your thoughts on The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

Blog Entries

Your thoughts on The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls is a book that seems to pop up a lot among some of my online reading groups. There is a part of me which is intrigued by the book, but I also feel some hesitancy about it and cannot decide if indeed I want to read it or not.

It does seem to have a lot of really good reviews and the story as aspects of it that appeal to me and sound like they could be interesting, but I have always read some criticism and negative reviews of the book which make me wonder if indeed it would be worth my time to read.

Another reason why I am hesitant about picking this one up is the fact that in general I do not read many memoirs, biographies, autobiographies, though I am open to reading these sorts of book and have done so on occasion, usually if I am going to pursue a book of this nature it is because it is about a person of whom I am interested in.

I don't know anything about Jeannette Walls and only heard of her through the mention of this book, and so it is hard for me to get motivated to read a book about the life of just some random person who I don't have any connection or familiarity with.

Why should I care about her life?

So I thought I would see what fellow litnetters thought, to help me make up my mind about reading this book.

Have any of you read this book and if so what where your thoughts on it? Is it worth reading? Is it a good story?

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I really liked it. There's no reason for you to be interested in her life, particularly. But, as with any other book, if the idea of the story interests you, then give it a try. The only way you'll know for sure is to look at a copy and read the first page and maybe one other close to the fron, or whatever it is you do to check out a book. I personally do tend to like memoirs (not all of them, though) and found her story well-written, harrowing and engrossing. Her parents both came from "good" families, yet they raised their children in the direst poverty.
    Last edited by qimissung; 09-24-2014 at 12:24 AM.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by qimissung View Post
    But, as with any other book, if the idea of the story interests you, then give it a they.
    Yes that is quite true, but it is hard for me to get over some of the stigma I admit I have regarding non-fiction (and perhaps particularly memoirs/biographies) I am trying to introduce more Non-Fiction into my reading.

But when it does come to a subject/author of which I am not already familiar with, though it might sound interesting, there is that part of me that always fears it might prove to be dull reading.

Because a lot of Non-Fiction can be a bit dry reading.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Like you, I find it difficult to become absorbed in nonfiction. All those facts. Very dry, indeed. But memoirs are different. There's a narrative there, and if they are well-written then I find them interesting. Better than biographies, which again are often one fact of their life after another. If you haven't read "Out of Africa" and "West with the Night," two beautifully written memoirs, I recommend you at least check them out also.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Blog Entries
    I have been kind of currious about Out of Africa. I saw the movie as a kid and really liked it, and I tend to be drawn to stories featuring aniamls. I also find reading about Africa to be interesting.