not breathing is not an option
    for long outdoors -
    throat and lungs will burn

prepare

prepare

9/16/2014

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor STATELY
    Last edited by tailor STATELY; 09-16-2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: My gosh, not 2004... 1994 !
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Still, on a chalk plateau Bar22do's Avatar
    A two foot sheet metal hungry for the sun and a wildfire is raging...

Keep safe!

None the less, it inspired you such a succulent sounds' stream! I read and re-read it, festing!

Thank you Stately.

Bar

Blog Entries
    Thank you Bar for your concern.

Good to see you about. Liked your poem.

The King fire http://www.arcgis.com/apps/PublicInf...be145f4db6caf5 most likely will continue to burn North and East of us; and we have a cold front approaching California soon that may or may not give relief. We were evac'd in 1994 during the Kelsey fire for a day and a night. Fire was seen from our humble home on the ridges close by, but we were spared; our nephew's inlaws home, perhaps a bit more than mile away as the crow flies, was destroyed.

tailor STATELY
    Last edited by tailor STATELY; 09-16-2014 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Kelsey fire 1994... not 2004 !
    tailor

would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Still, on a chalk plateau Bar22do's Avatar
    The map is frightening, so many sources of ignition! Goodness. Hope they evacuate on time, if needed... prepare to escape, not to burn your lungs!

Blog Entries
    King fire update.

No evac for us yet in Garden Valley... fire barely moving in my direction; though I know many friends/families from our church have been displaced. Telly is reporting no homes lost yet?, but I find that hard to believe. Cold front is nearly here... only trace amounts of rain expected with variable winds - for good or ill.

About 10:30 pm last night I watched the farthest ridge from our property ( Slate Mountains ? ) and I would swear the flames were visible at two spots. A dozer or car/truck was moving with headlights near where a structure can usually be seen during the day near the highest point. I saw lightning flashes on a number of occasions (fire cloud related?)... and a few shooting stars. All calm this morning and the air is breathable ! for the first time in days. Fire racing past the Rubicon River as far as I can tell by news and fire map updates East of Forest Hill after blasting through Stumpy Meadows.

70, 000+ acres so far... http://www.arcgis.com/apps/PublicInformation/index.html

http://hotlist.wildlandfire.com/thre...as-AEU)/page14

update 9:20 am Fire entering into Tahoe Nat'l Forest; (note: wind data may be lagging) : http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap...ires_basic.txt

tailor STATELY
    Last edited by tailor STATELY; 09-18-2014 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Update w/ new map showing Lake Tahoe & winds
    tailor

would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    Gosh, that's a huge area! I think I'd definitely be feeling a bit twitchy if I was in front of that little lot. I like the poem too, but I'm not keen on the middle couple of lines, they make it sound as though the trees have worn themselves out trying to escape... well, you know what I mean, the trees are "hundreds of metres from home" sounds like the trees' home, not the narrator's Not sure that the prepare, prepare, aids the poem much either. but the two tercets work very strongly.

Live and be well - H

Blog Entries
    I'm not keen on the middle couple of lines, they make it sound as though the trees have worn themselves out trying to escape... well, you know what I mean, the trees are "hundreds of metres from home" sounds like the trees' home, not the narrator's
    ... hmmm, see what you mean; though I may explore the plight / flight (or lack thereof) of the poor creatures. Speaking of creatures, bears are being noticed about on a much more frequent basis; escaping where they can.

The winds have shifted, the air thick again with particulate here at home, and may bother the Sacramento Valley later - relieving the Lake Tahoe and Truckee areas. Fortunately the winds are light to nil now so the fire front facing in our direction, though rich in drought fuel, will not be driven by the lash that blasted through Stumpy Meadows - and now torments Hell Hole.

Turns out this fire was arson, like the Kelsey fire that forced me and my family to evacuate way back when.

The "prepare, prepare" has served its purpose and will be retired. Preparation has been/remains a theme up here on the Georgetown Divide of late. Still preparing here at home, just in case. 74,000 acres and growing: 10% contained.

Edit, and added a bit:

9/2014

the ground is golden-hued from
    sunlight filtered through wildfire's haze
    borne from miles away

not breathing is not an option
    for long outdoors -
    throat and lungs will burn

night reveals a red crescent moon
    bearing vigil o'er the lash of fire
    tormenting Hell Hole

9/16/2014 r.9/19/2014

dedicated to marie christine
    happy birthday sweetheart !

tailor STATELY
    Last edited by tailor STATELY; 09-19-2014 at 12:30 PM. Reason: dedication
    tailor

would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    I'd say that's a keeper! Good strong poem!

Live and be well - H

Blog Entries
    Hawkman: Thank you for the assist.

Update (note - I live near the south-west portion where the <part of the fire points towards Garden Valley's south-east area): http://on.news10.net/1sayvER...

Video local news: http://www.kcra.com/news/local-news/...-fire/28148432

Winds are light, air is hazy, hopes are high, prayers welcome.

Update 9/20/2014 7:00 a.m. - no significant movement in our direction; winds calm, air hazy.
    Now..... 82,000 acres / 10% contained

Update 9/22/2014 - no significant movement in our direction; winds light... 87,500 acres... about 6 miles (10 km) away... 17% contained.
    King Fire and Home.jpg

Update 9/23/2014 am- Red Flag warning for winds this afternoon through Wednesday... should be predominantly away from us to the North and North-East... 89,000 acres... 35% contained.

Update 9/24/2014 - 92,960 Acres... 38% contained... backfires, and break-lines by firefighter's dozer work between our property and the fire holding so far... winds away: air quality fair after being poor this morning.

Map of home relative to fire: King fire and Home 9_24_2014.jpg

Update 10/1/2014: Blessed rain this past weekend... 97,099 Acres burned; 94% contained... http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4108/

tailor STATELY
    https://sites.google.com/site/apoetingardenvalley/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tailor STATELY; 10-01-2014 at 09:29 AM. Reason: update
    tailor

would you see me origami

7-8-2015