Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the merchant of venice

Marie

In Defense

Perhaps this is not a racist comedy, but a comedy about racism. Only when we allow ourselves to look at the world with some humility and humor are we prepared to make the changes necessary to make it a better place. I don't think Shakespeare is anti-Semitic, I think he is writing a play about anti-Semetism. <br>Also, look at it in the context of the day.

Jess

Limited view

I can understand why you question the play as a comedy as we know it. However, the definition of a comedy in Shakespeare's time was different. Maybe you should look this up? Also, the question of racism is much more complicated in the play. Shylock is a usurer first and a Jew second. Of course the play deals with Racism, but Shylock is hated more for his job, as money was more important in Venetian society. I suggest you read lots of published critics on the play so that you can understand the complicated issues which are presented in the play. Finally, I believe Shakespeare intended Shylock to provoke sympathy in the audience (which is what you seem to feel) so that he is not just the evil Jew the Christians view him as.

Claire

No Subject

a comedy in shakespearan times was a play that ended happily e.g antonio didn't lose the pound of flesh? a tradegy e.g romeo & Juilet where the ending is not so happY! R u self taught?

Paula

No Subject

You have to realize the time this was written in, and not assign modern day morality to it.

averil

holly and patrice

hey gid just like to say u are really really right and i think and respect u , u have really mad me realise how cruel and inhumane racism is, have u seen cruel intentions, that was a really good comedy, and there is some really mean racism in it! i was shocked. but all in all this play was good and i understand your point of view, and i respect you for saying it like it is.

J.M.

No Subject

Like some of Shakespeare's other plays, Merchant of Venice is open to interpretation. A lot of people think that Shakespeare was making an effort to show people that Jews were people too. Even so, it just so happens that Shylock was a bad person, and as such, he does not get a good ending. But he gives a speech that would have actually made people in Shakespeare's audience think, where he points out that he's human to-"If you prick us, do we not bleed?..."etc. And Shakespeare was most certainly not a joke. I think it's sad if you really think that. Maybe you should go to the trouble of reading more of his plays and trying harder to understand them. He was a brilliant playwright who really understood human nature. I don't like that Shylock was made to change his religion, you can't make someone become a Christian, because it's about having a relationship with Jesus. But all the same, that was how people were back then, and just because we don't like history doesn't mean we can ignore the bad parts of history and just change them.

MattyGabe

No Subject

Listen, I understand that racism is bad, and I don't support it in any way, but I mean come on. You know yourself that the world isn't sugar-coated. If it's not sugar-coated now what makes you think it was back then? Racism is unfortunately going to be here in the future, hopefully even less prevalent that now (though I believe many make it seem more so than it truly is), so stating that this play should not be read in classrooms is a disgrace.<br>And I also believe that the statement said above, about how "...this is not a racist comedy, but a comedy about racism..." That really puts it in the correct frame of mind. How must we overcome something if we cannot laugh and joke about it? I understand some racist jokes are out of line, but in this play it is very, very obvious where they are and what lines are drawn by the racism, it becomes so silly that it must be a comedy to be laughed at. I highly doubt William intended any psychological harm to any group of people when it was written, I mean after all it was written for entertainment purposes. This was, in a sense, their form of a modern movie or television sitcom.<br><br>In closing, I think people like yourself must lighten up, and actually embrace something that doesn't quite rub you the right way for once. The world is not sugar-coated, stop acting like it should be.

Unregistered

No Subject

A play that is classified as a comedy means it ends in a happy ending. Not a happy haha joke.

Lauren

No Subject

Firstly, in Shakespeare's time, a comedy was pretty much considered a play in which no one was killed. Also, when Shylock is called a Jew negatively, I think that Shakespeare is trying to portray certain characteristics and traits of common people in his day. To him, a Jew was notoriously greedy, stingy, and selfish. However, this does not apply to all Jews in his time and certaintly does not apply to all Jews today. Lastly, if you're saying that Shakespeare is the only author who has ever written racist remarks, that is totally untrue and many modern authors are racist. It is unfortunately a common trait that is present in many authors and therefore is present in their literature.

Unregistered

No Subject

Comedy doesn't mean it's funny!!!!!! Most comedies include humor, as does this at several points, but that is not its function! Comedy does not mean it's supposed to be funny!!!<br>

Jess

English 2H

Okay, so maybe it wasn't the funniest thing in the world, but there were some sarcastic moments and what not. You also have to remember that in Shakespearean times, a play assigned the title of a "comedy" was just a play that ended well. I too found myself wondering why it was called a comedy when it wasn't funny. Until I asked my english teacher, then I understood! So in answer to your question, it doesn't have to be funny to be considered a comedy.

David

No Subject

A Comedy in Shakespears time is a play with a good or happy ending but i think that this can not be a happy ending as the endding is anti-Semetic

Unregistered

when was the Merchant of Venice written?? answer that!!

<br>I agree with Paula's comment (April 16th 2003). Back in Shakespeare's time racism, prejudice against different religion's and other issues dealt with in The Merchant of Venice were all acceptable. Back then, 'racism and cruelty' was considered a comedy, so get with the times lady!!<br><br>P.S. the world is full of people who are against all sorts of things and no matter how hard you try, nothing is really going to change. thats the sad reality, so accept it!

Amy

No Subject

I agree with most of the people who have responded already, Shadespeare isnt trying to be mean to Jews, although he may have had some prejudices against them because that is the time he grew up in. But he is a brilliant author who can portray aspects of the human condition and get you thinking about them without you even realizing it! Thats why Shakespeare is a genious, and thats why you need to really study his plays instead of make quick judgments about them.

angie

the merchant of venice

this is supposed to be a comedy! whats so funny about rascism and cruelty? whats funny about making someone change there religion? shakespeare is a joke!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast