Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Film and Literature

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    It is wrong to assume that film needs literature, some of the best films have been made from screenplays unconnected with it.
    The greatest of these is, of course, Citizen Kane: produced, co-scripted, directed and acted by a 25-year-old genius who had never made a film before.
    ]
    As you point out, Wells co-wrote the screenplay for "Citizen Kane", with Herman Mankiewicz. Aren't screenplays a form of "literature"?

Some screenplays are adapted from novels or plays, some are not. But if the "written" version of stage plays are a form of literature, why wouldn't screenplays qualify as well?

Movie scores are a form of music, aren't they?

I'll grant that few people read screenplays. But few people read some other literary works, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecurb View Post
    As you point out, Wells co-wrote the screenplay for "Citizen Kane", with Herman Mankiewicz. Aren't screenplays a form of "literature"?

Some screenplays are adapted from novels or plays, some are not. But if the "written" version of stage plays are a form of literature, why wouldn't screenplays qualify as well?

Movie scores are a form of music, aren't they?

I'll grant that few people read screenplays. But few people read some other literary works, too.
    I agree that stageplays and screenplays are literature but I was alluding to it in the general sense of it being written as novels or poetry.

Welles was already well versed in stageplays before making Citizen Kane, due to his work at the Gate theatre Dublin and also later in America
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

film and literature they are chalk and cheese. one can be without the other but the other cannot be without one.
    Last edited by cacian; 11-13-2014 at 04:07 PM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    film and literature they chalk and cheese. one can be without the other but one cannot be without it,

Or put another way.......
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    Or put another way.......
    how do you mean? I am not sure I understand.
    do you mean rephrase it?
    ''film and literature they are chalk and cheese. one can be without the other but the other cannot be without one.''
    or maybe not
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    how do you mean? I am not sure I understand.
    do you mean rephrase it?
    ''film and literature they are chalk and cheese. one can be without the other but the other cannot be without one.''
    or maybe not
    Film has emerged from literature, painting, photography, music. It is an art that gethers all other forms of art. This is why it is great. The other question is how does it affect human mind and intellect. Does the human mind looses its sophistication with film, and gains it with literature?
    “All" human beings "by nature desire to know.” ― Aristotle
    “Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Literature > African Masks > Cats > Film > Music > Dance > Painting

I wonder if there is a book witten based on a film. I feel like writing one based on my favourite movie. .... and how would it be accepted by readers.... hmmm...
    “All" human beings "by nature desire to know.” ― Aristotle
    “Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    I wonder if there is a book witten based on a film. I feel like writing one based on my favourite movie. .... and how would it be accepted by readers.... hmmm...
    The most distressing thing about the release of that awful 2007 film version of Beowulf was the day I walked into Waterstones, only to be confronted by a huge display books marked 'Beowulf' containing... the novelisation of the film. A glance at a few pages made it clear that it in no way resembled, or compared favourably to, the Anglo-Saxon original.

Sometimes I despair of our species.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post

Sometimes I despair of our species.
    I remember seeing stacks of "Anna Karenina" in a bookstore promoted with a huge shield on the cover of the book saying, "Now A Major Motion Picture starring Keira Knightley". Well!!! In that case, I'll take one of these!

I like them both.

Blog Entries
    Is there any book that simply cannot be made into a film?

I'm reading James Joyce at the moment (Ulysses ) . It would be pretty hopeless as a film I think - too much crazy inner consciousness going on.
    ay up

Blog Entries
    I've tried Ulysses three times and enjoyed the first 20 pages. Finnegans Wake might be an even better candidate for a hopeless film. I've been able to tolerate a few pages of FW. I like quoting it. Just pick anything and it should work. I figured I might as well learn quantum physics or brain surgery as try to understand the book. The task would be at least possible. However I'm glad Joyce wrote the book.

Quote Originally Posted by prendrelemick View Post
    Is there any book that simply cannot be made into a film?

I'm reading James Joyce at the moment (Ulysses ) . It would be pretty hopeless as a film I think - too much crazy inner consciousness going on.
    It was filmed in 1967 but had a lukewarm reception from the critics.

Blog Entries
    There was also a film about an attempt to film Tristram Shandy fairly recently with Steve Coogan (A **** and Bull Story)- not very good.

I was suprised when Life of Pi made it to the screen so sucessfully.
    ay up

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast