Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what do you think about LitNet forum??

Lightbulb what do you think about LitNet forum??

compared to other forums you visit??
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    As is true of most things in life, or elsewhere, LitNet forum is partly what one makes of it. But I have to admit that I greatly love LitNet forum, because this is where I met you, so it is vastly better than any other forums, isn't it?

Blog Entries
    I enjoy the forums. Other forums I have visited in the past were mainly about poetry or workshopping poetry. The forums here provide ideas beyond that and those ideas could be used later in a poem or story. There are also people here willing to participate in the forums.

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like it the best. The others seem dull compared to this one.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

I haven't been on other literature forums, except a local one which has been closed (although I really enjoyed there, I don't understand why have they closed it) so I cannot compare it. But the fact that I haven't had a wish to look for another one speaks a lot about what I think of this one. Great!

P.S. PeterL, I like your reason for liking the LitNet...
    “All" human beings "by nature desire to know.” ― Aristotle
    “Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    I love this forum. The discussions on literature and arts are brilliant. I have also met many lovers here and I am thankful for that - of course.

While all kinds of forums abound
    From duds to those that astound
    For lawyers and bankers
    And all kinds of wankers
    But LitNet is basically sound
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    While all kinds of forums abound
    From duds to those that astound
    For lawyers and bankers
    And all kinds of wankers
    But LitNet is basically sound
    Jolly good.

I like this forum a lot. There are some fantastically interesting people here, and I really appreciate the expertise of some fellow posters. A few in particular have even been extraordinarily helpful in developing my taste in literature - one or two of them may even know who they are.
    'So - this is where we stand. Win all, lose all,
    we have come to this: the crisis of our lives'

Not enough world literature, so I feel lonelier seeing as how I no longer engage with English literature. Otherwise it is great, if a bit inactive of late.

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes... things have been a bit dead lately. And the site is nowhere near what it was a number of years back when Mortalterror, JBI, Virgil, Petrarch'sLove, Alexander... and several others were all highly active.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

I love the forum. I was a long-time lurker and just read threads and threads going back years (still do). I learned heaps, discovered literally hundreds of new authors and had my eyes opened to a world of new and interesting literature. The passion on display by some of the long-time posters in particular is something I find genuinely invigorating and beautiful. It's a great forum, even if it is a bit quieter these days.
    Vladimir: (sententious.) To every man his little cross. (He sighs.) Till he dies. (Afterthought.) And is forgotten.

Blog Entries
    I come and go as the mood suits me. I confess I rebelled at the format changes a year or so back and still haven't really sat down to figure it all out. Made some life long friends here at a dark time in my life but mostly nostalgia when I visit anymore.

Difficult not to agree that the Forum is lacking its former vitality but the owner's requirement is for maximum membership. As with most things, the broader the spread the narrower the quality although membership has always widely fluctuated, as can be seen from the number those listed in the daily birthday list.
    I try to contribute regularly although I find the discussions on YouTube to be much more lively, even though a lot of the input is semi-literate or downright idiotic. The fact that politics aren't allowed on the forum is a sensible precaution against ill-feeling but it does eliminate subjects that are central to everyone's existence. It's not impossible that there may be a renaissance in LitNet's fortunes but the quality of many of the comments has definitely declined in my experience of the forum.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Someone took over the serious discussions thread - and...........

Quote Originally Posted by tonywalt View Post
    Someone took over the serious discussions thread - and...........

And what?

I agree that there has been a diminution in 'serious' discussions and some of those that are genuinely serious don't seem to have sufficient thought behind the comments that ensue, but perhaps that's par for the course.
    I originally suggested that Serious Discussions be set up to avoid comments in the General Chat section such as.....Does God have a beard? or..... What are your favourite coloured socks? I recall at the time, that Scheherazade said that what constituted a serious discussion would remain the decision of the original poster, which is fair enough. After all, we ought to be capable of posting a thread relating to some genuinely interesting topic of the day.

By the way......What's for breakfast?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast