Thread: New aged point of view.

New aged point of view.

General observation by: Teggie Foxtrott

For the many of us born in the 1990's or 1980's, we were getting the final tastes of the last revolution in open-minded thinking. The booming 50's, to the peace and love 60's and 70's, the disco revolution of the 80's, and finally - to the relaxing stableness of the 90's. Yes, life was gradually decent during these times. It wasn't until we hit the second millenium where it seems like the drugs finally caught up with us, so to speak, and started to tear at the stableness of society. If you are like me, and struggled growing up during the 2000's, then you just might find it easy to say, based off the passed 14 years, "God!, the upcomming generation sure is simple-minded!"

The multitude of reasons why the generation is so basic (no pun intended) could be as follows: all the drugs their parents used, the media and it's flow of information, a government's structural organization, the drugs available nowadays all too easily, laziness, and many other possibilities. Whatever the case, it has made our developing minds just short of bland. However, this just might be a start to a new revolution of thinkers.

It is a fact that human beings live to learn. We all want to know things. Whether it's in school, on the streets, or alone in your bedroom. We are always trying to figure things out. With this, I say, "You can only dumbify this generation for so long!" Yes, the world is dumbifying the next generation. A stupid world can't teach a stupid generation. Stupid is being used in terms of ignorance towards being able to be an example the new generation can learn from. This involves parents, the news, tv, government, and any other mass majority that effects our thought process.

Hear me out. We are being deprived of information! What do most of us know from our experience with depravity? I hope you have learned, at least, that depravity only frees up space to bring forth gracious oppurtunity. Every deprived day, our mind festers and works. It yearns to possess what it's deprived of by gathering wisdom, knowledge, and experience. Our minds sculps our reality, and, in time, brings fourth what we've been deprived of; it's kind of like a cognitive loop, and what comes around goes around. Deprive us and we take to deprive you.

I could go on and on to explain each role things play in our thinking, but let's agree to disagree so I can get to the real point. I may be alone here, but I've noticed that this generation is fairly underestimated. We might be bland, but we shall soon get tired of the repetitive nonsense thrown at us and create their own way of choice. Our minds will be so tired of this lack of procession that we will create it ourselves. When we do, the world will welcome a new era of creative thinking. Be prepared, for the new era is soon to arrive. Our generation will not fail to be the successors of the world.

True or not. Let's do it everyone. Create a better world with me.
    Last edited by teggie; 08-16-2014 at 10:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by teggie View Post
    Our generation will not fail to be the successors of the world.
    I can't disagree with that. Best of luck.

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    Blame the horrible public school system.

Bump.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Aunty. There are American public schools and English public schools. Quite different creatures.
    Somewhat akin, there are Americans and then there are Texans.

The multitude of reasons why the generation is so basic (no pun intended) could be as follows: all the drugs their parents used, the media and it's flow of information, a government's structural organization, the drugs available nowadays all too easily, laziness, and many other possibilities. Whatever the case, it has made our developing minds just short of bland. However, this just might be a start to a new revolution of thinkers.
    Are you sure you're right with that?

I don't really see a marked decline in the abilities of kids now compared to the 1960s, '70s, '80s or '90s.

We had plenty of Dumbos in those days as well. If anything, I'd say the newest generation that I deal with, born circa 1995, is smarter and much more streetwise than any in the past. The internet has opened up people's eyes in a way that only travel used to.

Sure, there are probably more actual drones than in the past, but are they a greater percentage? I don't see any evidence of it.

When I see that the vast majority of Facebookers are 50+ it's MY generation I'm worried about!

If I had to make one negative comment about younger generations it's that they are very politically ignorant compared to older generations. We have shoved so many years of centrist policies down people's throats that they forget there are choices. (I'd better Shhhh! now, politics is forbidden)

Hear me out. We are being deprived of information! What do most of us know from our experience with depravity? I hope you have learned, at least, that depravity only frees up space to bring forth gracious oppurtunity. Every deprived day, our mind festers and works. It yearns to possess what it's deprived of by gathering wisdom, knowledge, and experience. Our minds sculps our reality, and, in time, brings fourth what we've been deprived of; it's kind of like a cognitive loop, and what comes around goes around. Deprive us and we take to deprive you.
    Just a wild guess, but it looks to me like you have "depravity" and "deprivation" mixed up.

I find the idea a little strange as well, because I would have said the exact opposite - that there has never been a time when so much information is available at out fingertips.

I could go on and on to explain each role things play in our thinking, but let's agree to disagree so I can get to the real point. I may be alone here, but I've noticed that this generation is fairly underestimated. We might be bland, but we shall soon get tired of the repetitive nonsense thrown at us and create their own way of choice. Our minds will be so tired of this lack of procession that we will create it ourselves. When we do, the world will welcome a new era of creative thinking. Be prepared, for the new era is soon to arrive. Our generation will not fail to be the successors of the world.
    Except it seems to me that your generation has pre-decided that the world we have now is the one they're going sign into.

In the 1950s, millions of young congregated and at least talked and thought about curing the world's ills. They failed hopelessly, but at least they started.

Roll forward 55 years to the Occupy Wall Street protests and what did we get? A bunch of conspiritards and society's rejects. Nowhere did students genuinely support the idea of change. Where would the Vietnam War protests start today? Where are the student anti-Iraq/A'stan protests for that matter?

True or not. Let's do it everyone. Create a better world with me.
    If I thought there were any chance of it happening, I'd be at the front of the line for change.

Just a short agenda for you:

Stop wars and violence
    Stop hunger and poverty
    Stop inequality
    Stop hatred, bigotry, sexism, racism, ageism and all other 'isms
    Stop drugs being illegal
    Stop refusing to aid refugees drowning

I could think of more, but when you find more than a handful of people prepared to work to those goals, I'll be in for the first wave.

Unfortunately, nobody will care enough to do more than pay lip service at best.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

I attended the premier of a documentary about Parvin Butte last night. The film was made by a local filmmaker and political activist, Tim Lewis, and I won’t bore you with the details, but it involves a mining company (representing-- boo, hiss -- Big Business) changing a 400-foot-high butte into gravel. This troubles the people who live around the Butte. They prefer the hills and buttes of rural Oregon to the Bonneville Salt Flats. When the gravel company is finished, the Butte will have vanished completely.

I mention this not because I think any Litnet members are interested in local Oregon politics, but because of the 100 movie-goers, perhaps 90 were older than 60. In addition, all of the activists in the movie protesting the removal of the Butte were senior citizens. Somehow, I feel an evil mining company might not fear protesters who totter around balanced by walkers or cruise to movies in motorized wheelchairs.

Here in Eugene, former home of Ken Kesey and several members of the Grateful Dead, there seems to be a wistful longing for the halcyon days of Vietnam protests, when drug-fueled protests were, well, so much fun. The protesters and the film-goers were veterans, although most of them had probably dodged the draft back in the ‘60s and ‘70s. I went to support one of my friends, who organized the event, and needed cheering-up because recreational marijuana was legalized in Oregon in Tuesday’s election. He had been lobbying all of his friends to vote against legalizing pot, because the measure would hurt “small businessmen” (in other words, him).

Where, I wondered, has youthful idealism gone? Every political event in Eugene suffers from the same depressing demographics. Old people abound, and the young are nowhere to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

Just a short agenda for you:

Stop wars and violence
    Stop hunger and poverty
    Stop inequality
    Stop drugs being illegal
    Stop refusing to aid refugees drowning

I could think of more, but when you find more than a handful of people prepared to work to those goals, I'll be in for the first wave.
    TheAtheist’s agenda is so negative! Stop this! Stop that! It sounds like a police state. Besides, if we work to “stop wars and violence” aren’t we guilty of pacifism, which, like “all other ‘isms” must also be “stopped”?

“Stop inequality” seems illogical. Does TheAtheist really want to insist that 7=10? To allude to TheAtheist’s favorite author, must we believe that the Pigs are “more equal” than other animals?

Here in Oregon we HAVE stopped marijuana from being illegal, but now my friend won’t be able to afford beer. Also, if we “stop hunger”, how are parents going to get their children to eat their broccoli? It’s hard enough to coax them to eat vegetables when they ARE hungry.

Finally, I’m not sure we should “Stop refusing to aid refugees drowning.” If I don’t want to help refugees drown themselves, surely that’s my prerogative. They can drown themselves on their own. Or perhaps TheAtheist means “Stop refusing to aid refugees (who are) drowning” instead of “Stop refusing to aid refugees (in) drowning.” In that case, in an orgy of double negatives, I don’t disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

How about atheism ?
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Ah, now there's the rub.

If it is of any comfort to you, teggie, I am much older and feel the same.
    “All" human beings "by nature desire to know.” ― Aristotle
    “Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” ― Robert A. Heinlein